Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by beautyfromashes »

Sporting KC just had their 100th sellout game. Does this begin to show signs that they need a larger stadium similar in size to those in smaller European cities? Would they consider a DT stadium and when is their lease up at Sportibg Park?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would have to guess their next stadium would be a joint venture between them and the Chiefs.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There has been talk of expanding the current stadium with a potential of adding 8k seats. There was a threshold that was cited for the season ticket wait list that the owners thought would justify building the expansion (maybe 10k on the waitlist). It sounds like the waitlist has actually been diminishing, so I don't think we will see expansion any time soon. I don't think it is really necessary. Yes, the games sell out, but it is usually not hard to get a ticket. I'm not sure they would consistently sell out a larger stadium at this point.

There was a response that Robb Heineman gave once that indicated they would consider a downtown stadium once there lease is up - but that is still a pretty long time away (and maybe he was just dismissing the question and I interpreted it optimistically).

If attendance in the NFL continues to drop and MLS continues to rise, I could possibly see them doing a joint venture with the Chiefs in 20 years - maybe a 40k-50k seat venue (or they could do a larger venue with a smaller configuration for soccer). A stadium with a retractable roof that could also be used for events like a Final Four, a bowl game, conventions, etc, could be a good asset for downtown. Although and artificial surface is not great for soccer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

David Beckham and Sprint CEO ties to potential Miami MLS expansion...
https://www.prosoccerusa.com/expansion/ ... port-says/
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

beautyfromashes wrote:Sporting KC just had their 100th sellout game. Does this begin to show signs that they need a larger stadium similar in size to those in smaller European cities? Would they consider a DT stadium and when is their lease up at Sportibg Park?
a Sporting "sellout" still has many open seats since they don't include the GA areas. They don't need a bigger stadium.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FWIW, there are 4 EPL stadiums, 5 La Liga stadiums, and 4 Serie A stadiums under 23k in capacity (random number chosen by me). 9 of those 13 stadiums are smaller than Sporting's. I doubt Sporting would seriously entertain the notion of a brand new stadium until the one they are in is at least 10 years old. Building the 8k add-on seems the way to go if they are convinced they can sell more seats, as much as I'd love for them to be downtown. They f-ed that one up long ago.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just can’t make that drive, as much as I like SKC.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

beautyfromashes wrote:I just can’t make that drive, as much as I like SKC.
Yup. That was a real fuck up. Classic KC.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Wasn't the KC site Bannister though? One highway site vs. another.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WoodDraw wrote:Wasn't the KC site Bannister though? One highway site vs. another.
Yes. I meant KC writ large. KCMOs site sucked too. I guess because Cerner sucks.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

At least Bannister is relatively centralized and in the cityish. I'd argue it's a modestly better location than TSC.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

You're kind of undermining where SKC & MLS was in 2010, when the stadium finally broke ground. Seattle had just entered the league the season before, & no one knew if they'd be able to keep those high attendance numbers up. ATL wasn't even a thought, at that point, it looked like the most likely expansion team after Portland & Vancouver was going to be the NY Cosmos.

I doubt anyone in KC would have taken the chance to work to get the stadium there at that point, other than Bannister. Time has changed though, I hope the team will look at relocating downtown instead of expanding CMP eventually. I don't mind where the stadium is honestly, easier to tailgate & such, but I get that it's a bit further drive for some in east Jax & such. Plus it's bizarre how our grid street system makes it to where my friend in PV has the same distance & time drive to the stadium as to where I'm at here in the Northland.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

*new player enters room*

sporting kansas city has a new old rival.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Would they go in the East or West? Wonder if they would want to be the natural rival of the Fire
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

From user on reddit:

With St Louis being between Minnesota and Chicago they will be the new middle team. I'm guessing they might switch conferences once or twice with further expansion.

With Miami and Nashville being east, and Austin west, St Louis would be the 14th western conference team. But that might change with expansion to western cities like Sacramento, San Diego, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Major metropolitan areas east of St Louis without MLS (Detroit, Tampa, Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham) don't seem to have as much MLS expansion buzz around them currently.
Last edited by warwickland on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

short answer...it's going to flip flop.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

As someone with the knowledge, we're not moving a bit.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 am *new player enters room*

sporting kansas city has a new old rival.
Shit club. No history.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

When is MLS going to put a team in Denver?