CBE Classic

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

CBE Classic

Post by AllThingsKC »

This 2012 CBE Classic teams are set.

Kansas
Texas A&M
Saint Louis
Washington State

http://www.cbeclassic.com/news/82-2012- ... -teams-set
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CBE Classic

Post by KCMax »

If KU and A&M reach the finals, I wonder if KU will forfeit.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:This 2012 CBE Classic teams are set.

Kansas
Texas A&M
Saint Louis
Washington State

Other than KU, that's probably the worst CBE lineup to date.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:If KU and A&M reach the finals, I wonder if KU will forfeit.
That is too bad. I think we would have accepted an invite to the CBE no matter who else they decided to bring in, though. Playing in KC as the feature team is difficult to pass up, and we didn't agree to play A&M, we agreed to play in the CBE. Ideally, A&M loses in the first game, and we don't have to play them.
KC-wildcat wrote:Other than KU, that's probably the worst CBE lineup to date.
100% agree.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KC-wildcat wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:This 2012 CBE Classic teams are set.

Kansas
Texas A&M
Saint Louis
Washington State

Other than KU, that's probably the worst CBE lineup to date.
No shit. I'm guessing the CBE figured they could mail it in if they had KU secured. Gonna fill the place regardless of whether you got Saint Louis or Kentucky.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

kcmetro wrote:
No shit. I'm guessing the CBE figured they could mail it in if they had KU secured. Gonna fill the place regardless of whether you got Saint Louis or Kentucky.
I'd imagine the CBE wants TV sets, though. amiright?

Aside from KU fans, nobody's tuning in to watch KU v. Wazou in November.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The 2013 teams are expected to be:

Texas
DePaul
BYU
Wichita State
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ouch. Weak field. WSU may travel but not that much. Texas is terrible at traveling. There should be a rule that if no local area teams are in the CBE, you must have either Iowa or Iowa State.

Don't seem like great matchups on the court either.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:The 2013 teams are expected to be:

Texas
DePaul
BYU
Wichita State
Confirmed. Nov. 25-26. WSU is suddenly a bigger draw.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:The 2013 teams are expected to be:

Texas
DePaul
BYU
Wichita State
Confirmed. Nov. 25-26. WSU is suddenly a bigger draw.
This is tourney is too half hearted. Make it 8 teams, not four. If they can play an early season 8 team tourney in a hotel ballroom in the Bahamas, they can do it at the Sprint Center.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tickets sold for the first night: 7,682
Tickets sold for the second night: 8,324

If you were there, clearly that was not the actual attendance. Not having a local team really hurt attendance this year. I'm not sure how the CBE can manage without having a local team each year.

I'm surprised more Texas fans didn't show up. DON'T THEY KNOW KC IS BIG 12 COUNTRY?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:Tickets sold for the first night: 7,682

If you were there, clearly that was not the actual attendance. Not having a local team really hurt attendance this year. I'm not sure how the CBE can manage without having a local team each year.

I'm surprised more Texas fans didn't show up. DON'T THEY KNOW KC IS BIG 12 COUNTRY?
Having a Thanksgiving week tournament with no local teams is just dumb. I'm guessing most of the fans were Wichita State fans?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang wrote:

Having a Thanksgiving week tournament with no local teams is just dumb. I'm guessing most of the fans were Wichita State fans?
Yea, on Twitter they said most of the crowd were Shocker fans.

Ah well, you can't a home run every time out.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote:

I go to the gym at the Marriott. Can confirm that all of my elevator rides to the gym the last 2-3 days involved conversations with Shockers fans. Glad to see them enjoying downtown.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i was there last night. i would guess there were fewer than 1,000 people in the sprint center for the UT/DePaul game. WSU fans turned out pretty decently and made some noise, but again only a tiny fraction of the Sprint Center was full, even with the top section curtained off. the halftime pee-wee game received more of a reaction from the crowd than the UT/DePaul game.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chrizow wrote:i was there last night. i would guess there were fewer than 1,000 people in the sprint center for the UT/DePaul game. WSU fans turned out pretty decently and made some noise, but again only a tiny fraction of the Sprint Center was full, even with the top section curtained off. the halftime pee-wee game received more of a reaction from the crowd than the UT/DePaul game.
In fairness, is that really uncommon from any other neutral site tourney game not involving teams with national draws? Heck, its pretty routine for NCAA Tournament games too. I've been to Stanford/Kentucky (when Kentucky was down) and there weren't more than a few thousand people in the arena for a first round NCAA game. I went to LaSalle/Ole Miss last year in SC and it was the same scene.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i'm sure it's not unusual, it was just striking. i have almost no experience going to any college bball games at all, so it was just interesting to me.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chrizow wrote:i was there last night. i would guess there were fewer than 1,000 people in the sprint center for the UT/DePaul game. WSU fans turned out pretty decently and made some noise, but again only a tiny fraction of the Sprint Center was full, even with the top section curtained off. the halftime pee-wee game received more of a reaction from the crowd than the UT/DePaul game.
I was there also and I don't know, The crowd laughed pretty hard at that DePaul player who stuffed himself on the rim :lol: The Texas/DePaul game wasn't a good one overall. Very boring. WSU/BYU was much more entertaining and it had the crowd into it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote:i'm sure it's not unusual, it was just striking. i have almost no experience going to any college bball games at all, so it was just interesting to me.
I wonder what the turnout is at tourney's in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Bahama's. Seems those are played in mostly empty auditoriums too unless someone big is involved and my recollection is still a fairly sparse crowd. The neutral site where Duke/KU and Kentucky/MSU played earlier was pretty packed (wasn't it Chicago?).

Watched the game last night on TV. WSU again will probably have a great team - I thought they were just as good as Louisville last year despite the loss. BYU looked pretty good too.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMax wrote:In fairness, is that really uncommon from any other neutral site tourney game not involving teams with national draws? Heck, its pretty routine for NCAA Tournament games too. I've been to Stanford/Kentucky (when Kentucky was down) and there weren't more than a few thousand people in the arena for a first round NCAA game. I went to LaSalle/Ole Miss last year in SC and it was the same scene.
It was the same situation for the Early Season College Hockey tourney they had last year. The attendance was horrible. The tourney in Maui looks so crowded every year because its in like a 2000 seat gym. The CBE or whatever it was called before was in Municipal when it first started, maybe they should move it back there when its not local teams