Big 12 Tournament

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Big 12 Tournament

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:[
I'm not sure that is defending that picture. Tense atmosphere or not, you are proud of winning a trophy of a conference you are disrespecting. Doesn't make any sense. I'd be fine with the picture in front of Sprint w/o the shirt. Seemed unnecessary. Heck wear a KCMO shirt if Self's comments are what bothered hi.
I guess you didn't see the comments Chuck Ninas made on national TV just minutes before tipoff of yesterday's game. He bad-mouth Mizzou, saying MU didn't mean much to the conference and how much better the Big 12 will be without MU. I have no problem with him saying what he said. But, to say it on national TV minutes before the Championship Game...that Mizzou is playing in, I found to be disrespectful and classless. So, I suspect some of what Kim English did was simple taking a shot back.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kim English was watching on TV?

I didn't hear what he said.....so can't speak to that but doesn't sound like it was very classy either....

If Kimmie didn't like/respect the Big 12, why celebrate winning the title?

Just disappointed like I said...I respect Kim and still do...that picture didn't reflect his typical attitude...like I said before.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote:Mu ticket sales at arrowhead is a fair point. What was the attendance announced for that game? 50k? The saturday game attendance is not a factor given all tickets were already sold. If UT and Baylor were in the finals that attendance would have been exactly the same number.
The big flaw in that line of logic is that they sell tickets to people from outside KC.

If they sell 20K tickets to the Border War at Arrowhead to people who live in Columbia and St Louis and Warrensburg, it doesn't really change the make up of KC, and anybody who actually lives here knows that the city proper and the metro as a whole is dominated by KU fans. Probably 2:1. The Missouri side's (especially the suburbs) 2nd largest fanbase are MU fans and JoCo's 2nd largest fanbase is K-State, and I doubt any conference shuffling will ever significantly change those numbers. There's always a some fluctuation based on team performance, and MU is seeing an uptick of interest since their football program is consistently performing and their basketball team is having a phenomenal year. Unsurprisingly he games at Arrowhead when KU was competitive in football were also the highest attended. The '07 game had like 80K.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

chingon wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Mu ticket sales at arrowhead is a fair point. What was the attendance announced for that game? 50k? The saturday game attendance is not a factor given all tickets were already sold. If UT and Baylor were in the finals that attendance would have been exactly the same number.
The big flaw in that line of logic is that they sell tickets to people from outside KC.

If they sell 20K tickets to the Border War at Arrowhead to people who live in Columbia and St Louis and Warrensburg, it doesn't really change the make up of KC, and anybody who actually lives here knows that the city proper and the metro as a whole is dominated by KU fans. Probably 2:1. The Missouri side's (especially the suburbs) 2nd largest fanbase are MU fans and JoCo's 2nd largest fanbase is K-State, and I doubt any conference shuffling will ever significantly change those numbers. There's always a some fluctuation based on team performance, and MU is seeing an uptick of interest since their football program is consistently performing and their basketball team is having a phenomenal year. Unsurprisingly he games at Arrowhead when KU was competitive in football were also the highest attended. The '07 game had like 80K.
Do you really the believe the crap you post?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MoMan wrote:
chingon wrote:

It seems you're about the only one on here who would disagree with chingon's post. An objective perspective would acknowledge that KC is a KU town. That is proven in apparel you see worn around town, and in alumni numbers.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

An objective perspective would acknowledge that KC is a KU town. That is proven in apparel you see worn around town, and in alumni numbers.
cue GRID rant about why KU people are so obsessed with wearing KU gear at all times vs. sports fans in any other region in the country.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

kcmetro wrote: It seems you're about the only one on here who would disagree with chingon's post. An objective perspective would acknowledge that KC is a KU town. That is proven in apparel you see worn around town, and in alumni numbers.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

For the record, I don't believe any of the crap I post.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I just polled the entire metro. 30% KU fan, 15% KSU, 14% MU, 41% didn't give a shit.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, does anyone have any cool stories from the tournament?

If you don't have a cool story, make one up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A&m fans were the nicest I ever remember. Many expressed sadness about not coming back to KC.

Nothing too exciting from the volunteer desk. Lot of general info without being asked for a specific recommendation. I did get to suggest Peanut to a group of guys.

I sent about 3 groups to Bristol for brunch on saturday before I looked it up and remembered they only do brunch on Sunday. Nice work.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chrizow wrote:
An objective perspective would acknowledge that KC is a KU town. That is proven in apparel you see worn around town, and in alumni numbers.
cue GRID rant about why KU people are so obsessed with wearing KU gear at all times vs. sports fans in any other region in the country.
Lol, it is true though, everytime I'm at a major airport like O Hare, Atlanta, Dallas for a KC bound flight a lot of the people are in KU Gear. You really don't see this on flights to Seattle or San Francisco. The same cases can be made true for flights to Milwaukee (Lots of Packers Gear) but you don't really notice it on flights to Dallas with cowboys gear.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kcmetro wrote:It seems you're about the only one on here who would disagree with chingon's post. An objective perspective would acknowledge that KC is a KU town. That is proven in apparel you see worn around town, and in alumni numbers.
These undeniable facts are abundantly obvious. As an impartial party who basically doesn't give a shit about college sports (but, being a lifelong MO resident, cheers for MU once in a while) it is so stupidly clear that KC is a KU town that I don't think anyone could deny this without being either delusional or a troll.

Of course, if there is anyone to whom it is not abundantly clear that MoMan is a troll, they are probably a rather dim bulb.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
chrizow wrote:
Lol, it is true though, everytime I'm at a major airport like O Hare, Atlanta, Dallas for a KC bound flight a lot of the people are in KU Gear. You really don't see this on flights to Seattle or San Francisco. The same cases can be made true for flights to Milwaukee (Lots of Packers Gear) but you don't really notice it on flights to Dallas with cowboys gear.

Kansas doesn't have a major airport, many people from Wichita drive to KCI
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCP and I had about 4 dudes from the mother country come up and ask random things - like where to buy insoles for his shoes. One looked like a 45 year old punk rocker, with gauged earrings, long hair. We sent him to Grinders and he wanted to go to some vinyl record store in Westport.

And he scoffed at the thought of needing to drive there and says "I'm from Europe we walk everywhere". I hope he buys a house and moves here. We need more of that.

Other than that, nothing too interesting other than the rioting older couples that KCP sent to a closed Bristol for Brunch. :D
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

mean wrote:
kcmetro wrote:It seems you're about the only one on here who would disagree with chingon's post. An objective perspective would acknowledge that KC is a KU town. That is proven in apparel you see worn around town, and in alumni numbers.
These undeniable facts are abundantly obvious. As an impartial party who basically doesn't give a shit about college sports (but, being a lifelong MO resident, cheers for MU once in a while) it is so stupidly clear that KC is a KU town that I don't think anyone could deny this without being either delusional or a troll.

Of course, if there is anyone to whom it is not abundantly clear that MoMan is a troll, they are probably a rather dim bulb.
If this is parody, it's brilliant.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, yeah, troll on brother.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

mean wrote:Yeah, yeah, troll on brother.
It's abundantly obvious that the irony of your posts is an undeniable fact.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

It's abundantly obvious that the irony of your posts is an undeniable fact.[/quote]
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

MoMan wrote:It's abundantly obvious that the irony of your posts is an undeniable fact.