Big 12 Tournament

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Big 12 Tournament

Post by MoMan »

DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Can someone put MoMan in the shop? His "Check Engine" light is on.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Trolling ain't easy, baby. Trolling ain't easy.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

chingon wrote:Trolling ain't easy, baby. Trolling ain't easy.
Nobody would know better than you, pal.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I. AM. PUMPED. UP. FOR. THIS.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Mizzou not being part of this tourney is a bummer.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote:Mizzou not being part of this tourney is a bummer.
Yep. It's really a loss locally (obviously) and its been noticeable all season, in my opinion. There is a fairly vocal contingent of "the Big XII is irrelevant to KC now, this is a Mizzou town and by default an SEC-town" posturing, but its pretty clearly overcompensation.

I feel like the University did a pretty big disservice to the state, and I'd love to see the mayor call them out on it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Do you think there is less attention paid to Mizzou now because of the move? I wonder what its like in St. Louis, which has always leaned towards the Big Ten more. I have to say they've been kinda "outta sight, outta mind" for the most part to me.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote:Do you think there is less attention paid to Mizzou now because of the move? I wonder what its like in St. Louis, which has always leaned towards the Big Ten more. I have to say they've been kinda "outta sight, outta mind" for the most part to me.
I think that always happens in a down year, though. Especially a down year for both sports. Not that their bb program is "down" per say, but it certainly is a bit of a "let down" compared to last year. Lats year was big around here because it was the last year of the rivalry and they were competitive with KU in basketball, which kind of amped things up, but in the previous decade I've lived and worked in KCMO, I'd say the level of generalized Mizzou fandom in town was more or less equal to what it is now. The difference for me is that K-State fandom has been a lot more visible as the in the metro, which I attribute to a particularly awesome year, more than their overtaking MU as the "second team" in Kansas City's consciousness/heart.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:Do you think there is less attention paid to Mizzou now because of the move? I wonder what its like in St. Louis, which has always leaned towards the Big Ten more. I have to say they've been kinda "outta sight, outta mind" for the most part to me.
I don't think KC will ever be an SEC city (whatever that actually means) and I really don't think Missouri will ever be an SEC state. Mizzou has always had to compete in football - and football is really what the SEC is about - with 2 professional football teams. We are the smallest state that has two pro teams. That's a lot of potential college football interest (and money) being redirected elsewhere. If you live in Alabama, on the other hand, that's all you got.

In bball, there's been a lot of great players out of St Louis recently: McClemore and Beal come to mind (and there are many more) but they never seem to end up in Columbia. That's partly because Anderson's system made recruiting top players nearly impossible but you have to go way back to Stipanovich to find a top talent at Mizzou out of St Louis. I think that says something about Mizzou support in St Louis. While KC has divided interest, St Louis very much appears to have the same issues and the university sports programs appear to be second if not third fiddle there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I can't believe the refs blew that foul call on Phil Forte at the end of the OSU/Baylor game to help KU out.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Agreed. But, I went to the evening session last night anyway. It's still easier for me to identify and follow the Big 12 than it is to follow the SEC. Although, I'm sure that will change over the next few years as we Mizzou fans become more and more familiar with the players, teams, venues and traditions.

In the mean time, it was a lot of fun heading down to Sprint to enjoy the games. Left the Baylor/OSU game early enough to be home to watch the Missouri game on TV.

Tonight, I'm headed to Municipal to see my MNU Pioneers play a 2nd round game in the NAIA national tournament!

Great time of year.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

StL_Dan wrote:
Agreed. But, I went to the evening session last night anyway. It's still easier for me to identify and follow the Big 12 than it is to follow the SEC. Although, I'm sure that will change over the next few years as we Mizzou fans become more and more familiar with the players, teams, venues and traditions.

In the mean time, it was a lot of fun heading down to Sprint to enjoy the games. Left the Baylor/OSU game early enough to be home to watch the Missouri game on TV.

Tonight, I'm headed to Municipal to see my MNU Pioneers play a 2nd round game in the NAIA national tournament!

Great time of year.
How has attendance been at the NAIA Tourney? I think I saw tweets from Bob Fescoe that he was impressed how large the crowd was.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCMax wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:

Great time of year.
How has attendance been at the NAIA Tourney? I think I saw tweets from Bob Fescoe that he was impressed how large the crowd was.
Not sure, Max. I didn't go down for Wednesday's games and was at Sprint last night. I did stay in touch with MNU fans via text last night though and one made the comment that the MNU crowd was "so so".

We typically bring 750-1000 fans for our games. This year, the other HAAC teams in the tournament aren't "KC" teams, so that may hurt attendance just a bit. Evangel is from Springfield and Culver-Stockton is from Canton MO. I'm sure Buffalo Funds would have preferred Baker and Benedictine, but that just didn't happen this year.

I'll take some post some thoughts about attendance and some pix from Muni tonight. MNU plays at 8. Columbia (MO) College plays at 615. So there should be 3,000 to 4,000 fans in the stands tonight.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

StL_Dan wrote: Not sure, Max. I didn't go down for Wednesday's games and was at Sprint last night. I did stay in touch with MNU fans via text last night though and one made the comment that the MNU crowd was "so so".

We typically bring 750-1000 fans for our games. This year, the other HAAC teams in the tournament aren't "KC" teams, so that may hurt attendance just a bit. Evangel is from Springfield and Culver-Stockton is from Canton MO. I'm sure Buffalo Funds would have preferred Baker and Benedictine, but that just didn't happen this year.

I'll take some post some thoughts about attendance and some pix from Muni tonight. MNU plays at 8. Columbia (MO) College plays at 615. So there should be 3,000 to 4,000 fans in the stands tonight.
Cool, thanks.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

StL_Dan wrote:But, I went to the evening session last night anyway.
Thank you for going. I've been disappointed in Mizzou fans because not many seem willing to attend. There are plenty of Mizzou fans (like me) who aren't going to Nashville for the SEC Tournament. But, I can't get many Mizzou fans interested in attending the Big 12 Tournament either. I still enjoy going because of the atmosphere downtown, welcoming visitors to our city, and just for the love the college basketball in general. It's nice to be at a tournament without worrying how my favorite team is going to do (even though they're still in another tournament). I can just sit back, relax, and the enjoy the games. I wish I could get more Mizzou fans to realize that. Hopefully, that would help ticket sales.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Well said, ATKC. That summarizes my take on the matter, as well.

At my core, I'm a baseball and hoops junkie - a grown up kid. It doesn't take much for me to get all giddy this time of year. And KC is one of the few places that cater to sports nuts like me during college basketball tourney time.

To not attend at least a session or two to show support of what the Big 12 does locally would be foolish. I feel the same way about the NAIA tournament, as well. Knowing that there are two tournaments going on simoultaneously just a few city blocks from each other is awesome. The energy downtown is really a cool thing.

One day, though, I'll make my way to Nashville to see our boys. Would love to spend more time exploring that city. So, that would be a great opportunity.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Listening to Sunvoldt, he said most of his MU cronies would be more likely to watch the BigXII tourny than the SEC tourny. But, he was quick to add that this isn't an indictment of MU fans, it's more an indictment of the fact that SEC basketball is basically irrelevant. Nobody cares about a South Carolina Mississippi State basketball game, including SEC fans.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

He's right. I could care less about Frank Martin and the Gamecocks. Even less about Miss St. NOBODY is standing around the water cooler talking SEC bkb this morning. NOBODY.

However, we are all chiming in on the Big 12 games from last night....how WVU basically screwed all of our brackets.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC-wildcat wrote:Listening to Sunvoldt, he said most of his MU cronies would be more likely to watch the BigXII tourny than the SEC tourny. But, he was quick to add that this isn't an indictment of MU fans, it's more an indictment of the fact that SEC basketball is basically irrelevant. Nobody cares about a South Carolina Mississippi State basketball game, including SEC fans.
I've been following both. Most Mizzou fans I know have been following the SEC Tournament only (which I find disappointing). As far as South Carolina/Mississippi State goes....it's not much different than Texas Tech/West Virginia or TCU/Texas.