Big 12 Tournament

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Big 12 Tournament

Post by kcmetro »

Highlander wrote:
kcmetro wrote:
Highlander wrote:So does KU still get a number 1 seed?

If Mizzou wins tonight, do they get a 1 seed?
Seeing as Mizzou finished a full 2 games behind KU in the conference, it would be a travesty if they got a 1 seed over KU. I think these post season tourneys are fun for the fans, but they shouldn't be used to justify seeding in the tournament. Not that I really care whether KU is a 1 or 2 seed. It doesn't make much of a difference. But I do think KU should be in the STL region over Mizzou.
Hardly a travesty. KU had a tournament to win and they did not even get to the finals and they also have a bad loss to Davidson on what was essentially a home court. I think that loss (and the poorer overall record) negates part of that two game edge particularly if Mizzou wins tonight. If Mizzou does win, they've got an equally compelling case for the 1 seed. That's a big IF because Baylor is finally playing up to their potential.

If KU won the tournament, their fans would be boasting about it. But as happens every time they lose, KU fans try to downplay the importance of the tourney. It's an important part of the season and if it is not, just do not have it.
Post season tournaments exist because they bring in $$ and they're a lot of fun for fans. They also decide automatic bids for shittier teams who get hot at the right time. But teams shouldn't be punished for losing in the tourney. KU blew out Baylor TWICE in the regular season. Destroyed them both games. But Baylor got hot from beyond the arc and knocked KU off. And Baylor is a legit top 10-15 team in the nation. Then you have Mizzou who plays a far easier to beat Texas team. Hell, they would've played an easier Iowa State team had Texas not beat them too. So it's not really a fair comparison when Mizzou gets the easier road to the conf. title game. That's why I view the regular season as being the deciding factor in tournament seeding. Flukey shit happens in tournaments, but the best and most consistent team wins the conference regular season title 95% of the time.

Now, if KU and Mizzou went head to head in the title game and MU blew us out or won by a considerable margin, then I'd consider them worthy of a 1 seed.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcmetro wrote:
Highlander wrote:So does KU still get a number 1 seed?

If Mizzou wins tonight, do they get a 1 seed?
Seeing as Mizzou finished a full 2 games behind KU in the conference, it would be a travesty if they got a 1 seed over KU. I think these post season tourneys are fun for the fans, but they shouldn't be used to justify seeding in the tournament. Not that I really care whether KU is a 1 or 2 seed. It doesn't make much of a difference. But I do think KU should be in the STL region over Mizzou.
You KU fans kill me.

I guess Self was serious when he said he wasn't going to play MU anymore. LOL.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote:
Highlander wrote:
kcmetro wrote:
Hardly a travesty. KU had a tournament to win and they did not even get to the finals and they also have a bad loss to Davidson on what was essentially a home court. I think that loss (and the poorer overall record) negates part of that two game edge particularly if Mizzou wins tonight. If Mizzou does win, they've got an equally compelling case for the 1 seed. That's a big IF because Baylor is finally playing up to their potential.

If KU won the tournament, their fans would be boasting about it. But as happens every time they lose, KU fans try to downplay the importance of the tourney. It's an important part of the season and if it is not, just do not have it.
Post season tournaments exist because they bring in $$ and they're a lot of fun for fans. They also decide automatic bids for shittier teams who get hot at the right time. But teams shouldn't be punished for losing in the tourney. KU blew out Baylor TWICE in the regular season. Destroyed them both games. But Baylor got hot from beyond the arc and knocked KU off. And Baylor is a legit top 10-15 team in the nation. Then you have Mizzou who plays a far easier to beat Texas team.
Now, if KU and Mizzou went head to head in the title game and MU blew us out or won by a considerable margin, then I'd consider them worthy of a 1 seed.
I think your logic is kind of warped. If Mizzou beats Baylor tonight, they will have beaten them 3 times this season including a blowout at Columbia. They will have more wins and two fewer losses than KU which also lost to Davidson at the Sprint Center. Davidson is a decent team but that loss is still a worse loss than Mizzou losing to KSU at home. You can't show up at a conference tourney, lose in the semi's and expect a pass from NCAA. I agree that KU should get the better seed if Baylor beats Missouri tonight, but no way should they get a better seed if Mizzou wins.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

kcmetro wrote:Post season tournaments exist because they bring in $$ and they're a lot of fun for fans. They also decide automatic bids for shittier teams who get hot at the right time. But teams shouldn't be punished for losing in the tourney. KU blew out Baylor TWICE in the regular season. Destroyed them both games. But Baylor got hot from beyond the arc and knocked KU off. And Baylor is a legit top 10-15 team in the nation. Then you have Mizzou who plays a far easier to beat Texas team. Hell, they would've played an easier Iowa State team had Texas not beat them too. So it's not really a fair comparison when Mizzou gets the easier road to the conf. title game. That's why I view the regular season as being the deciding factor in tournament seeding. Flukey shit happens in tournaments, but the best and most consistent team wins the conference regular season title 95% of the time.

I don't think the committee cares about tournament results OR conference standings, so you're half right. They look at the entire schedule including the non-con, I guarantee KU's conference record doesn't enter into the discussion at all. But, that Davidson loss probably will.

Remember when K-State finished above Tech in the Big 12 standings AND beat them in the Big 12 tournament and Tech went to the NCAA and K-State went to the NIT? Yeah...that was awesome.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote: I think that loss (and the poorer overall record) negates part of that two game edge particularly if Mizzou wins tonight.
Part, yes. All of it, probably not. If they win, MU has a case for a number 1 seed, but just a case and only really if they win. SOS matters. The only KU loss that is a real black mark is Davidson, and they're a better squad than MU's only real embarassing loss, OSU. I think the tournament should factor into decision-making, certainly for bubble teams, but also for teams that are as neck-and-neck as KU/MU this season.

And for every KU fan who suddenly claims to not care about the Big 12 tournament (and I can assure you, it is a lot less meaningful to most KU fans than the regular season title and what happens in March -- this March AND next March AND the March after that AND the March after that, ad infinitum) I can show you 3 Missouri fans who suddenly care a lot about:

1. basketball
2. the Big 12
3. the Big 12 tournament
Last edited by chingon on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

shinatoo wrote: You KU fans kill me.
The feeling is mutual. Nothing is more unintentionally funny than listening to the MU bandwagon groan under the weight of the occasional flash-in-the-pan good year piled on top of a lifetime of low expectations.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote:
Highlander wrote: I think that loss (and the poorer overall record) negates part of that two game edge particularly if Mizzou wins tonight.
Part, yes. All of it, probably not. If they win, MU has a case for a number 1 seed, but just a case and only really if they win. SOS matters. The only KU loss that is a real black mark is Davidson, and they're a better squad than MU's only real embarassing loss, OSU. I think the tournament should factor into decision-making, certainly for bubble teams, but also for teams that are as neck-and-neck as KU/MU this season.

And for every KU fan who suddenly claims to not care about the Big 12 tournament (and I can assure you, it is a lot less meaningful to most KU fans than the regular season title and what happens in March -- this March AND next March AND the March after that AND the March after that, ad infinitum) I can show you 3 Missouri fans who suddenly care a lot about:

1. basketball
2. the Big 12
3. the Big 12 tournament
The OSU loss is hardly a bad loss or even embarrassing; the only embarrassing road loss in the Big XII this year would have been at Tech. Stillwater is a notoriously hard place to play and Mizzou had to play OSU there while they still had Le'Bryan Nash who was among the best players in the Big XII not wearing a KU, Baylor or MU jersey this year (and freshman of the year). KU was fortunate enough to play in Stillwater after Nash's injury. The Davidson loss was against a small eastern mid major 35 miles from AFH; I'll gaurantee it's seen as much worse loss than OSU on the road.

Everyone would rather win the big XII tourney but winning it doesn't mean the Big XII tourney doesn't count, particularly when two teams have such similar resume's...as you say. Mizzou still has to beat Baylor and if they don't, KU absolutely should get the higher seed although neither may get a 1 seed. Beating Baylor is going to be a chore but, if Mizzou wins, it would be hard to argue that a 30-4 team from a major conference should not be a one seed. Actually, I'd rather see Mizzou with a two seed in St Louis than a one seed elsewhere.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Every team that beat KU this year is in the tournament, Davidson included.
Last edited by chingon on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Scott Drew can go fly a kite when he talks about how it's unfair the tournament is here and his fans not being about to show up. I just watched 95% of Baylor fans who stayed and went to the Women's game pick up their bags and head home....a very small amount are actually staying for the Men. What a joke.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

LOL at Kimmie. "Our city".
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Thank God at least one of the local teams made it to the championship game.

kcmetro wrote:LOL at Kimmie. "Our city".

Well, it sure wasn't KU's city this year, was it?

At the Sprint Center: KU 1-2, Mizzou 5-0.

You want to guess who has the better record at Arrowhead?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

AllThingsKC wrote:Thank God at least one of the local teams made it to the championship game.
Huh? KU and K-state lost, man.

The only teams in the championship game were southern schools.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

chingon wrote: The only teams in the championship game were southern schools.
Right. And the tournament was held in the same state as one of the "southern" schools. Therefore, a "local" won the championship game.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

1. Sure.

2. If you say so.

3. WRONG.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

chingon wrote: The feeling is mutual. Nothing is more unintentionally funny than listening to the MU bandwagon groan under the weight of the occasional flash-in-the-pan good year piled on top of a lifetime of low expectations.
Seriously, pal, your regurgitation of witless KU fan board talking points is really unflattering and, "as a man," I find it contemptible.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Gotta love the great display of class by Kimmie. Wearing an SEC shirt while holding the Big 12 tournament trophy?

It was hilarious watching MU after the game. Haith is sobbing. Players are dancing around at mid court. You could tell Mizzou isn't used to winning anything.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Riiiiight. Because KU players wouldn't dance or celebrate at all if they had won this tourney.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

MU has played great all year, has a fun team that's a real pleasure to watch (with a couple exceptions) for anyone who really loves the college game, and I personally loved seeing Texas denied a Big 12 TOURNAMENT title for yet another year, the first image you posted pretty much negates the second.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

MoMan wrote:
chingon wrote: The feeling is mutual. Nothing is more unintentionally funny than listening to the MU bandwagon groan under the weight of the occasional flash-in-the-pan good year piled on top of a lifetime of low expectations.
Seriously, pal, your regurgitation of witless KU fan board talking points is really unflattering and, "as a man," I find it contemptible.
But you're not a man, you're a troll.

I've never been on a KU fan board in my life, but I doubt you could say the same...