Big 12 Tournament

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Big 12 Tournament

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote:I can't believe the refs blew that foul call on Phil Forte at the end of the OSU/Baylor game to help KU out.
Awesome.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:Listening to Sunvoldt, he said most of his MU cronies would be more likely to watch the BigXII tourny than the SEC tourny. But, he was quick to add that this isn't an indictment of MU fans, it's more an indictment of the fact that SEC basketball is basically irrelevant. Nobody cares about a South Carolina Mississippi State basketball game, including SEC fans.
I've been following both. Most Mizzou fans I know have been following the SEC Tournament only (which I find disappointing). As far as South Carolina/Mississippi State goes....it's not much different than Texas Tech/West Virginia or TCU/Texas.
I hope somebody was at least watching WVU and TTech. I thought it was pretty weird that Mizzou, without a doubt the second best team in the SEC, played A&M to a pretty sparse house in Nashville last night. Tennessee managed to nearly pack the house but I guess nobody wanted to watch the newbies play each other - and of course the tourney is in Tennessee. Playing at 9 PM doesn't help either.

Here's the RPI of SEC and B12 teams with a few locals and others thrown into boot:

8. Florida
10. Kansas (I think KU is somewhat better than Florida - they both play good defense but KU has a considerably better offense)
20. Butler (Atlantic 10 - this year)
21. KSU
22. OSU
29. Mizzou
40. Wichita St
41. OU
45. ISU
48. Kentucky
53. Tennessee
58. Mississippi
61. Alabama
65. Baylor
81. LSU
83. Arkansas
98. A&M
112. Texas
137. Georgia
142. WVU
212. TTech
219. SCar
233. TCU
251. Auburn
284. UMKC

3 SEC in top 50; that's about 20% of the conference in the top 50. B12 has 50% of its teams in the top 50. What the RPI doesn't indicate (or maybe it does) is the nearly complete lack of quality wins outside the conference for any SEC teams other than Mizzou and Florida. So while there may not be much difference at the bottom of the league, there probably is a fairly significant difference at the top although the SEC has a lot of teams grouped just outside the top 50 - but they haven't beaten anybody other than other SEC teams.

The Atlantic 10 (btw) has 5 teams in the top 50 and 3 in the top 20. Butler actually is above SLU even though they've lost twice to SLU.

UMKC has nowhere to go but up.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

3 SEC in top 50; that's about 20% of the conference in the top 50. B12 has 50% of its teams in the top 50.
How many Big 12 teams at 112 or below? How many SEC?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

StL_Dan wrote:Well said, ATKC. That summarizes my take on the matter, as well.

One day, though, I'll make my way to Nashville to see our boys. Would love to spend more time exploring that city. So, that would be a great opportunity.
This would have been a bad year to go - although MU could have used a few more fans (or a few fans period). The arena for the Mississippi game was probably half full at best and those that were there were heavily for Mississippi.

One of the more pathetic games I've seen as a Tiger fan. Haith came to Mizzou with a reputation of not being able to close out games and I've seen nothing thus far to make me think he doesn't deserve the rap. Just awful execution down the stretch for Mizzou.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: Just awful execution down the stretch for Mizzou.
....AGAIN! Just awful execution down the stretch for Mizzou....AGAIN!!! #-o
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:
Highlander wrote: Just awful execution down the stretch for Mizzou.
....AGAIN! Just awful execution down the stretch for Mizzou....AGAIN!!! #-o
Haith is great at assembling a team, but I have my doubts that he will ever lead Mizzou to anything more than being a perennial tournament team. I'm not sure if he can develop talent and I am pretty certain his ability to coach an actual game is not well honed. Granted, being a perennial tournament team is better than Anderson and Snyder could do but not what I had in mind when Anderson left.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What a crowd yesterday. Packed from 2pm till I left like midnight. Went in as KU game was ending and there were a LOT of fans outside watching game on TV. Fun atmosphere.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote:What a crowd yesterday. Packed from 2pm till I left like midnight. Went in as KU game was ending and there were a LOT of fans outside watching game on TV. Fun atmosphere.
Nobody does college basketball like KC. Really miss MU being a part of this tourney.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:What a crowd yesterday. Packed from 2pm till I left like midnight. Went in as KU game was ending and there were a LOT of fans outside watching game on TV. Fun atmosphere.
Nobody does college basketball like KC. Really miss MU being a part of this tourney.
Especially after watching the game last night in Nashville. As one might expect, the Vandy (hometown team) and Kentucky game was full but by the time Mizzou and Mississippi took the floor, it would be kind to say that the arena was even half full and most of the "crowd" was just hanging around from the Vandy game. The SEC crowd was fully behind Mississippi. Just a crappy overall atmosphere for Mizzou.

I don't believe the Nashville hype either, the nightlife is centered on country music. Just not my thing.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

We really lucked out getting the four best fanbases in the conference in the semis, then having the best possible matchup in the finals. Terrific weather Thursday and Friday too.

I do worry about the day it is West Virginia vs. Texas in the finals at Sprint Center, but until then, that was a fun weekend!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

For those of you worried that Mizzou's move to the SEC would hurt KC's economy by losing the Big 12 tournament, you can rejoice.

KANSAS CITY HAS FOUND A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT FOR THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT! KC IS REPLACING THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT....WITH THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT!

(Big 12 Tournament will remain in KC through at least 2020.)

So, the state of of Missouri will be hosting the Big 12 tournament and the SEC tournament IN THE SAME YEAR!

Darn you, Mizzou, for not caring about the state's economy!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:For those of you worried that Mizzou's move to the SEC would hurt KC's economy by losing the Big 12 tournament, you can rejoice.

KANSAS CITY HAS FOUND A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT FOR THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT! KC IS REPLACING THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT....WITH THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT!

(Big 12 Tournament will remain in KC through at least 2020.)

So, the state of of Missouri will be hosting the Big 12 tournament and the SEC tournament IN THE SAME YEAR!

Darn you, Mizzou, for not caring about the state's economy!
I am surprised. But then again KC has always done it better than OKC and Dallas and by an ultra wide margin and KU is still the B12 marquee basketball program and it's a mere 40 miles away. It only will get better with new hotels and things to do downtown - not that KC has recently been wanting of things to do.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm not surprised at all. While I wasn't sure exactly what the Big 12 would decide, I did know that the Big 12 would be foolish to have it anywhere but KC. Though, it's not like the Big 12 has a history of making wise decisions. As I have posted in the conference realignment thread several times:

1. When the tournament was in OKC and Dallas, it didn't make as much money as it did in KC. So, right off the bat, I knew the Big 12 would be making less money from the tourney if it moved. Also, neither Dallas nor OKC beat KC's attendance numbers.

2. As great as Dallas and OKC are, they do not offer the P&L District across the street, and the NABC and CBE adjacent to the Sprint Center. For a college basketball tournament, there is no other city that can offer the same atmosphere and fan experience as KC can.

3. Keeping the tournament in KC keeps the SEC at bay (not that KC was ever a strong candidate for the SEC tourney).

Once again, I've been proven right.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Lets just have every conference tourney here. The smaller schools can play at Munipical and Independence Events Center and a High School gyms across the metro, the big schools can play at Sprint and Kemper, Games start at like 10am and go till midnight. Wonder how many you conference tourneys you could possibly have in one metro location? I think it would be cool to have everything in one location for a 2 week period.

Sprint
Big 12
Big 10
Big East
MO Valley

Kemper
Pac 10
Mountain West
American Conference
A-10

Other Locations
All the other conferences
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:I'm not surprised at all. While I wasn't sure exactly what the Big 12 would decide, I did know that the Big 12 would be foolish to have it anywhere but KC. Though, it's not like the Big 12 has a history of making wise decisions. As I have posted in the conference realignment thread several times:

1.2. As great as Dallas and OKC are, they do not offer the P&L District across the street, and the NABC and CBE adjacent to the Sprint Center. For a college basketball tournament, there is no other city that can offer the same atmosphere and fan experience as KC can.
You'd think that would translate into a lot of NCAA tourney 1st and 2cd weeks in KC - and I think some part of the NCAA tourney should be in KC on an annual basis - but in fact they are rare. Kind of sucks. They put these events in places like Houston because they have big arenas (or stadiums made to look like an arena), but in all honestly, I don't think the bigger cities even give a crap about hosting (I know most in Houston could care less) and the experience of watching a basketball game in a football stadium isn't something I long for and I'm a huge basketball fan.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I went to the Big 12 tourney for the first time last night, and it was a fun atmosphere, I like how the road is closed off with various activities to do. The tickets were really cheap, I was able to buy lower level seats for 9 bucks.

Also, I don't see why the Big 12 would want to move anywhere else. People come from all around the region and take vacations and plan around this event. I also don't think you will get as large of crowds if it was in Tulsa, OKC, or Dallas. Wichita might be the only city that could be successful but its pretty boring city. I think the Big 12 needs to stay forever and build a tradition like how the Big East tourney has been played at MSG for its 35th year.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

We better hope the state doesn't pass some bathroom bill because if they do, the tournament will certainly be gone.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Flipping through all these tournaments the last two days. Sprint Center is the only full arena.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

At the arena they were showing pictures of peoples twitter posting about the tourney. I was surprised how many just make a long weekend out of it from all around the region. A few were celebrating Anniversary's and the trip was planned around the Big 12 Tourney.