Big 12 Tournament

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Big 12 Tournament

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This should be a shirt - Midwesterner's "Keeping Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe open since the early 90's"
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

"Kansas City, not New York, is the capital of college basketball"

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnis ... 1.13307435
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

B12 Tourney 2018

Post by Highlander »

So how is this going this year? Anybody noticing the influx of people into KC for the tourney? I've been talking to a friend who is a UT fan in KC for the first time. He and his family are incredibly impressed with KC. They especially thought the mix of older and newer buildings was interesting as it's something they lack in Houston. They've been extremely pleased with dining scene too (I think they ate at Farmhouse and Jack Stacks). Anybody have any interaction with B12 tourney fans this week?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: B12 Tourney 2018

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote:So how is this going this year? Anybody noticing the influx of people into KC for the tourney? I've been talking to a friend who is a UT fan in KC for the first time. He and his family are incredibly impressed with KC. They especially thought the mix of older and newer buildings was interesting as it's something they lack in Houston. They've been extremely pleased with dining scene too (I think they ate at Farmhouse and Jack Stacks). Anybody have any interaction with B12 tourney fans this week?
I now work at crown center with a view of children's mercy so if there's a big event I get notices around parking. Saw the OU team bus parked yesterday morning. Not a huge influx on my schedule this week, probably more people coming in the evening before.

Then I needed to detour toward the Paseo after work (sewing machine pickup, that business at Truman/US 71 needs to be highlighted more for sticking it out in downtown). Saw A LOT of people around 4:30 crossing 670 at Oak and walking east along the printing plant. So people are doing quite a bit of walking away from the arena. Based on the route, they're probably exiting out of the Oak side and walking toward Crown Center or parking in less busy areas of the east crossroads.

Shows there's an opportunity along Truman Rd just east of downtown.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I work in The CBD/Loop now and see more streetcar traffic but they are only running 3 trains at the moment. Was thinking all 4 were running last year.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

They really should give a tutorial on how to drive in the city before the Big 12 tourney each year.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I haven't really noticed an "influx" of out of towners this year. It's been mostly local fans of the various teams. Still a lot of people, just not as many from out of town as in past years.
KC is the way to be!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Tickets were readily available this year for some reason.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Tickets were easily available for 5-15 in the upper and ends of lower level. I think a big reason is Iowa State having a down year. They are one of biggest reasons for big attendance, some isu plan vacations around the big 12 tourney