2012-2013 Big 12 College Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 2012-2013 Big 12 College Football

Post by phxcat »

KCtonic wrote::lol: You lost me at:
phxcat wrote:Every team they lost to wen to a bowl game. Had they played Colorado's schedule, chances are that they would have won a few games. Had they played Missouri's schedule, chances are they would have won a few games.
Just for fun, compare the strength of schedule of KU, Colorado, and Kansas football this past year
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-foo ... le-by-team
Yes Colorada's #62 sos was weaker than KU's (you can thank K-State & Oklahoma for that). Mizzou's was 9 and KU's 31,

I personally think the Big 12 is a strong football conference - much stronger than many. I also think the SEC is a very strong conference. In head-to-head matchups the best teams typically win - nothing else including constant statistical comparisons really matter.
I'm not sure how those rankings are compiled, and I really don;t care because it is one of many such rankings and is still probably statistically insignificant because of the lack of enough games between conferences to get a good measure of schedule strength, but I would bet that there is a pretty good chance that KU would have beaten SE Louisiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee. It is true that the SEC did MU no favors, giving them cross conference games against Alabama and A&M.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat wrote:It is true that the SEC did MU no favors, giving them cross conference games against Alabama and A&M.
Yes, that sucks for Mizzou, but that's part of being in the SEC. It's not going to get any easier either.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Not Big 12, but this is what everyone is talking about today - Notre Dame star Manti Teo's fake dead girlfriend. Read for yourself.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- ... -is-a-hoax
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

People were tweeting about how it was a hoax a month ago.

http://everyfacetofthegame.blogspot.com ... ished.html
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I'm waiting for the photo of Teo, Clint Eastwood, and two empty chairs. I know it's out there. C'mon, internet!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From Arrowhead Pride: The Chiefs and Manti Te'o appear to be a perfect fit since their defense doesn't exist either.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mark Mangino has been named TE coach at Youngstown State.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:Mark Mangino has been named TE coach at Youngstown State.
Ouch. Assistant at Youngstown State - quite a drop off. I'll give Mangino credit for taking a poor program and turning it into something. He knew how to put together a football team despite having other issues.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Highlander wrote:
KCMax wrote:Mark Mangino has been named TE coach at Youngstown State.
Ouch. Assistant at Youngstown State - quite a drop off. I'll give Mangino credit for taking a poor program and turning it into something. He knew how to put together a football team despite having other issues.
I bet he is a head coach again within a few years. Once he has illustrated a change in behavior, he could probably start out at a smaller school if he does not wish to be a BCS-level coordinator first. If Turner Gil can get a head coaching job...
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Great comments. There aren't too many coaches willing to take stances like those.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I respect Coach Snyder and I'm glad there are some big time coaches speaking out about this, but if these coaches (Mick Cronin of Cincinnati is another one who recently had harsh comments about the state of college spotrs) really wanted to coach without any of the BS dealing with money, there's a very easy solution - coach FCS or DII. I mean if you really think you're grossly overpaid, coach Emporia State and enjoy the wonderful fruits of leading young men and schemeing plays without worrying about millions of dollars.

But $14.5 million is $14.5 million.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

Right or wrong, a school gets more publicity, more donations, more applications, more... everything when they have a successful football program. You could make an argument that Bill Snyder and other football coaches are still underpaid for the overall value their successful football programs bring to their school. A good football program is very valuable for student life on campus, it brings back alumni who pump money back into their colleges and towns, etc.

I know that Mizzou and Columbia in general owe quite a bit to the Tiger football program returning to respectability.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NKC wrote:Right or wrong, a school gets more publicity, more donations, more applications, more... everything when they have a successful football program. You could make an argument that Bill Snyder and other football coaches are still underpaid for the overall value their successful football programs bring to their school. A good football program is very valuable for student life on campus, it brings back alumni who pump money back into their colleges and towns, etc.

I know that Mizzou and Columbia in general owe quite a bit to the Tiger football program returning to respectability.
Oh I totally agree, I don't think coaches are underpaid. Look at FGCU's enrollment to skyrocket after the success of their hoops program. I just think its a big disingenuous for a college coach to complain about money in college athletics while making a lucrative multi-million dollar salary.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Collin Klein wants to QB for the Texans.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... xans-as-qb