2012 - 2013 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

2012 - 2013 College Football Season

Post by AllThingsKC »

Well, it's a good thing you're not making any assumptions in your opinions, right?

Besides...why are you so obsessed over Mizzou?

(This is a joke post. Do not take it seriously.)
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 2012 - 2013 College Football Season

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:If had picked Arkansas, non-MU fans would have said, "See? Mizzou can't get the top players from their own state." But, since he picked Missouri, non-MU are saying, "Well, he only picked MU because he's from Missouri." Not sure you can have it both ways.

Both MU and Arkansas fans think the SEC was a factor in DGB's decision. Arkansas fans (being overly-negative) think they would have gotten DGB if MU had stayed in the Big 12. Mizzou fans (being overly-positive) think the same. So, it depends on who ask. We don't know for sure, so it's a matter of opinion.

Also, off the top of my head, I don't know of any top in-state recruits Mizzou got over SEC schools. Nor do I know of any #1 recruits Mizzou got while in the Big 12. But, I'm not a recruiting history expert, either. That's why I tend to think that the SEC move helped Mizzou. Or, at the very least, it certainly didn't hurt.
Well, K-State and MU have each picked up an instate #1 recruit in the last couple of years. K-State's took a bit of a round-a-bout route to get here and didn't take, but was a #1 recruit nonetheless, so there it is.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat wrote:Well, K-State and MU have each picked up an instate #1 recruit in the last couple of years. K-State's took a bit of a round-a-bout route to get here and didn't take, but was a #1 recruit nonetheless, so there it is.
Missouri had a #1 in-state recruit before this? (I really don't know).

Did that #1 recruit for K-State have to choose between K-State and an SEC school?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
phxcat wrote:Well, K-State and MU have each picked up an instate #1 recruit in the last couple of years. K-State's took a bit of a round-a-bout route to get here and didn't take, but was a #1 recruit nonetheless, so there it is.

Did that #1 recruit for K-State have to choose between K-State and an SEC school?
#1- I don't know. I don't remember one.

#2- After taking a tour of the South (SEC and ACC) chose Tennessee over basically everyone before transferring to K-State. His brother (#1 lb, though only about a top 5 national recruit overall), who also could have signed with anyone in the SEC, chose Miami before transferring to K-State.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AllThingsKC wrote:

Tony VanZant in 1986 is the last number 1 to go to Mizzou.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

AllThingsKC wrote:

What do you mean by #1 in-state recruit? If you mean the #1 recruit in the country residing in the state of MO, then this is the first time in the modern era that has happened. Sheldon Richardson was #4 coming out of high school and Mizzou secured him (twice).

As for the top rated player in the state of MO, Mizzou has landed the top player in the state every time they have offered in the last 5 years (three of them national 5-star recruits).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

shinatoo wrote:Tony VanZant in 1986 is the last number 1 to go to Mizzou.
So, during the years of the actual "Big 12," Missouri never got a #1 recruit. Now, before Missouri plays a game in the SEC, Missouri gets the #1 recruit. Interesting...

shaffe wrote: What do you mean by #1 in-state recruit? If you mean the #1 recruit in the country residing in the state of MO, then this is the first time in the modern era that has happened. Sheldon Richardson was #4 coming out of high school and Mizzou secured him (twice).

As for the top rated player in the state of MO, Mizzou has landed the top player in the state every time they have offered in the last 5 years (three of them national 5-star recruits).
By "#1 in-state recruit," I meant the top recruits in Missouri. How often does Missouri get the top recruits from Missouri?

But, I was also wondering about the #1 recruit in the nation. How often does Missouri get the #1 recruit in the nation? I think shinatoo answered that.