2012 - 2013 SEC football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: 2012 - 2013 SEC football

Post by KCtonic »

Highlander wrote:
KCtonic wrote:
Highlander wrote:Nice effort by Mizzou at Florida today - but - OMG the present day SEC has to be the most overrated conference in football history.
Looking at things through very narrow vision. Matching up the top six SEC teams playing against the top six Big12 or Big10 teams and still put my money on the SEC teams winning out.

Florida has struggled it's last two games but Missouri also played better yesterday despite major QB issues. Arkansas is NOT one of the top six SEC teams this year.
How would you know as the SEC top teams rarely take on good teams from out of their conference. Last year, the SEC runner up Georgia was beaten pretty solidly on their own turf by Boise State.
I don't "know" - just as you don't "know" that the SEC has to be the most overrated conference in football history ;) That's just my take fwiw. I think the top four teams in the SEC are pretty tough - not unbeatable by any means though. I would love to see K-State matched up against Alabama this year. That would be fun to watch regardless of the outcome.

It's kind of difficult to judge a college team from one year to the next really. Georgia is much better this year than they were last year. Nebraska is better than they were last year. K-State is much better this year than they were last and MUCH better last year than the year before. etc. etc. Kansas is pretty consistent though
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

Highlander... I think you need to watch more college football. Boise State beat Georgia in Athens last year, but Georgia was not the runner up in the SEC. Georgia was at best the number 4 SEC team behind LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas. The SEC has won the last seven national championships, it currently has 5 of the top 10 BCS teams, and as a conference went 6-3 in bowls last year (one of those loses was against another SEC team).

After following SEC football closely for one year I think there are two things that sets the league apart. First, the top teams in the SEC are generally much better than the top teams in any other league. Second, the successful teams in the SEC place a great deal of emphasis on defense. This year is no different. Look at the top four teams in the BCS from the Big 12 and SEC. Match them up and the SEC team would be favored in each game.

I too was a Big 12 fan once and I also said things like "the SEC is overrated" or "SEC football is boring" but the truth is they are better than every other conference, and it isn't that close. If KSU ends up playing Alabama for the National Championship you will see why.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

This week's BCS Rankings (as of 11/4) put 5 SEC teams in top 8. 3 teams from other conferences make up the rest.

Alabama (so lucky to win that game, but what a game!)
K-State (Bill Snyder...really amazingly good honestly)
Oregon
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida (appears to be a bit over-ranked even still)
LSU
S Carolina

Big 12 has 5 teams in top-25. Not too shabby.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

By the way. Kentucky just fired coach Joker Philips.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-f ... ncaaf.html
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

NKC wrote: it currently has 5 of the top 10 BCS teams

Look at the top four teams in the BCS from the Big 12 and SEC. Match them up and the SEC team would be favored in each game.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you but those two arguments just make Highlander's point. To be overrated, one must be rated highly. To point out that the SEC is rated highly doesn't prove they're not overrated, it's the only possible way they can be overrated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A&M can erase K-State fans ire stemming from 1998 with an upset Saturday. Gig 'em!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

NKC wrote:Highlander... I think you need to watch more college football. Boise State beat Georgia in Athens last year, but Georgia was not the runner up in the SEC. Georgia was at best the number 4 SEC team behind LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas. The SEC has won the last seven national championships, it currently has 5 of the top 10 BCS teams, and as a conference went 6-3 in bowls last year (one of those loses was against another SEC team).

After following SEC football closely for one year I think there are two things that sets the league apart. First, the top teams in the SEC are generally much better than the top teams in any other league. Second, the successful teams in the SEC place a great deal of emphasis on defense. This year is no different. Look at the top four teams in the BCS from the Big 12 and SEC. Match them up and the SEC team would be favored in each game.

I too was a Big 12 fan once and I also said things like "the SEC is overrated" or "SEC football is boring" but the truth is they are better than every other conference, and it isn't that close. If KSU ends up playing Alabama for the National Championship you will see why.
I watch enough college football. Georgia was a one loss SEC team last year that went to the SEC championship game. It doesn't get any more runner up than that. Arkansas had two losses and beat an OK but not great KSU team in a bowl....Arkansas just wasn't that good.

Saying that what sets the SEC apart is that they are better is part of the same circular argument that has been propogated in the sports world for the last several years. They may be better, we don't know, and if they are, they aren't that much better. In fact, I'd say the SEC defenses are all pretty vulnerable to good passing teams with an offensive line that can protect a decent QB. That's why Kellen Moore had little problem making Georgia's defense look pretty mediocre. Even with James Franklin at QB, a QB with modest throwing abilities, an inaccurate arm and a beat up offensive line, Mizzou had little problem moving the ball against one of the best defenses in the SEC on their own turf on Saturday. Florida just isn't that good - and they beat LSU who basically played Alabama to a draw for 39 minutes. It's a good league no doubt but this idea that they are far better than any other conference has become a college football myth that is self perpetuating - like two SEC teams making the NC game. I hope KSU does play Alabama. I think Alabama fans might be in for a shock when the expected blowout does not materialize.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

KCPowercat wrote:A&M can erase K-State fans ire stemming from 1998 with an upset Saturday. Gig 'em!
Right now, I want a shot at the BCS, but between the three possible opponents, I would like a shot at Alabama.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Looks like the SEC has moved closer to playing for its 7th straight national title.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

True. All 3 local teams lost today. But, Mizzou had the only competitive game of the 3 local teams.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:True. All 3 local teams lost today. But, Mizzou had the only competitive game of the 3 local teams.
Hey now, KU had a first quarter lead. That's as good as a win in Lawrence. :D
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:True. All 3 local teams lost today. But, Mizzou had the only competitive game of the 3 local teams.
How could that be though? I thought being in the SEC made Mizzou instantly better and worthy of adulations out of proportion to anything they've ever accomplished. In any event, KSU played on the road, Mizzou at home.

Alabama lost, by the way, at home. With several one loss teams lined up to play Notre Dame, that alone should eliminate them from consideration.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Yeah, if only Mizzou would have stayed in the Big 12, they would have beaten Syracuse.

Not sure what the big deal is about who played at home or on the road. Mizzou played a .500 team. KSU (the #1 team in the county) played a losing Baylor team. And KSU lost by 4 touchdowns. Mizzou has yet to lose to a losing team this season. Of course, I think Mizzou has yet to be a ranked team this season as well.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Yeah, if only Mizzou would have stayed in the Big 12, they would have beaten Syracuse.
Nowhere do I say we could have beaten Syracuse as a Big XII school. I just hate the inference that being in the SEC lessen the sting of losing. It doesn't, and even if you believe the SEC is a better conference with better teams, Mizzou didn't just lose to an SEC team, they lost to a team from the Big East. That's a conference that some Mizzou fans evidently feel is beneath them.

I have to admit, as a lifelong Mizzou fan, I was rooting for Syracuse last night. I am extremely tired of Mizzou fans who spin everything that happens into some glorification of Mizzou's move to the SEC. From the time Mizzou accepted the SEC invitation to present, Mizzou has accomplished absolutely nothing. In fact, the program, for whatever reasons, has backslid considerably.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wow...the SEC really has the country fooled. What a pud conference.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

I love how the Cat fans are taking their frustration out on the SEC. The SEC is by far the best conference in college football again. Look at the BCS rankings. The humans and computers agree. The inferiority complex of Big 12 is amazing. It would have been a joke to have KSU in the National Champoinship. Barely beat Iowa State, destroyed by a Baylor team that may not even go to a bowl.... How is that for a "pud"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

NKC wrote:I love how the Cat fans are taking their frustration out on the SEC. The SEC is by far the best conference in college football again. Look at the BCS rankings. The humans and computers agree. The inferiority complex of Big 12 is amazing. It would have been a joke to have KSU in the National Champoinship. Barely beat Iowa State, destroyed by a Baylor team that may not even go to a bowl.... How is that for a "pud"
Huh? Taking out frustrations on the SEC? That doesn't make any sense...look for yourself.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/stan ... &year=2012

It's a fine conference...it's nothing special.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

The SEC has more teams in the BCS top 10 than the Big 12 has in top 25. Enough said.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

NKC wrote:I love how the Cat fans are taking their frustration out on the SEC. The SEC is by far the best conference in college football again. Look at the BCS rankings. The humans and computers agree. The inferiority complex of Big 12 is amazing. It would have been a joke to have KSU in the National Champoinship. Barely beat Iowa State, destroyed by a Baylor team that may not even go to a bowl.... How is that for a "pud"
Look at the BCS rankings? That's the point. Look at the schedules and judge for yourself. Don't buy into the bias. Look for yourself. Louisiana Lafayette led Florida in the 4th quarter in Gainesville two weeks ago. Florida has ONE loss in the SEC and they almost lost to a four-loss Sun Belt team? Yeah, sure the SEC is clearly the best conference.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Louisiana Monroe took two SEC teams to overtime and beat one of them. Who was the first team to beat them in regulation?

Tulsa led at Arkansas in the 4th quarter. Who beat them fairly easily?
Last edited by TheBigChuckbowski on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.