2012 - 2013 SEC football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2012 - 2013 SEC football

Post by AllThingsKC »

Thank God Mizzou doesn't have to play A&M in the Big 12 anymore.

:P
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

The SEC laid a smack down on the ACC yesterday. Georgia destroyed Tech at home. Florida and SC went on the road and beat their in state rivals by two scores. Going by BCS rankings of last week Florida is the 3rd best SEC team beating the best ACC team on the road. South Carolina is the sixth best SEC team and beat the second best ACC team on the road.

This has been your weekly debunking of the "SEC is overrated" myth.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

kcmetro wrote:LOL @ Mizzou :lol:
While Mizzou football is a disaster this year this is just sad coming from a KU fan. When is the last time you won a conference game?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

NKC wrote:The SEC laid a smack down on the ACC yesterday. Georgia destroyed Tech at home. Florida and SC went on the road and beat their in state rivals by two scores. Going by BCS rankings of last week Florida is the 3rd best SEC team beating the best ACC team on the road. South Carolina is the sixth best SEC team and beat the second best ACC team on the road.

This has been your weekly debunking of the "SEC is overrated" myth.
That's because the ACC is horrible. Georgia Tech was just not good anyway- got killed by BYU and lost to Middle Tennessee State, and FSU and Clemson (who led much of those games) got fat on a ACC diet. The only ranked teams they played before Sat. were each other.

The Big XII has nine out of ten teams bowl eligible.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

NKC wrote:
While Mizzou football is a disaster this year this is just sad coming from a KU fan. When is the last time you won a conference game?
I laugh at Mizzou because their fans thought going to the SEC would be a great move. I'm of the opinion that Mizzou will just be another Miss State or Vandy, and never sniff the top half of the conference most seasons.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcmetro wrote:
NKC wrote:
I laugh at Mizzou because their fans thought going to the SEC would be a great move. I'm of the opinion that Mizzou will just be another Miss State or Vandy, and never sniff the top half of the conference most seasons.
Some MU fans. But you have to look at a longer view than one season. I don't think this will be the norm for MU any more that I believe it will be the norm for AnM. Three years ago Auburn was at the top 3 of the SEC and KU was at the top 3 of the B12.

Whether your a mindless fan or a blind rage hater, it's stupid to make a judgement about a move like this after one football season (and only one third of the whole sports season). Let's see how the next ten years plays out.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote:
kcmetro wrote:
kcmetro wrote:LOL @ Mizzou :lolI laugh at Mizzou because their fans thought going to the SEC would be a great move. I'm of the opinion that Mizzou will just be another Miss State or Vandy, and never sniff the top half of the conference most seasons.
Some MU fans. But you have to look at a longer view than one season. I don't think this will be the norm for MU any more that I believe it will be the norm for AnM. Three years ago Auburn was at the top 3 of the SEC and KU was at the top 3 of the B12.

Whether your a mindless fan or a blind rage hater, it's stupid to make a judgement about a move like this after one football season (and only one third of the whole sports season). Let's see how the next ten years plays out.
Those of us who opposed (and still oppose) the move had more than the relative merits of this or that conference in mind. Things like playing against traditional regional rivals - you know, the thing that actually makes sporting events Fun. Keeping events in Missouri and KC - you know, reaping the economic benefits of said events. It has nothing to do with our relative success in the conference. At best, Mizzou simply recreates itself as a middle of the pack SEC team just as it was a middle of the pack Big XII team. But we do it in a far away place now. That's all the upside there ever was - dreams of being a football powerhouse will be as elusive as ever.

Now basketball: Kentucky, Florida, and Vandy care - not many others.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcmetro wrote:I laugh at Mizzou because their fans thought going to the SEC would be a great move. I'm of the opinion that Mizzou will just be another Miss State or Vandy, and never sniff the top half of the conference most seasons.
I'm of the opinion that it's still a great move for Mizzou, even though Mizzou will be "middle of the pack" in SEC football, just like Mizzou was "middle of the pack" in the Big 12. In terms of football, I think it's a lateral move. But, there's still many benefits the SEC provides Mizzou.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

kcmetro wrote:
NKC wrote:
the days of going playing in a weak division and going to minor bowl every year are over for MU, but kU can't even do that
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

AllThingsKC wrote:
kcmetro wrote:I laugh at Mizzou because their fans thought going to the SEC would be a great move. I'm of the opinion that Mizzou will just be another Miss State or Vandy, and never sniff the top half of the conference most seasons.
I'm of the opinion that it's still a great move for Mizzou, even though Mizzou will be "middle of the pack" in SEC football, just like Mizzou was "middle of the pack" in the Big 12. In terms of football, I think it's a lateral move. But, there's still many benefits the SEC provides Mizzou.

kU would probably be in the B10 by now if it was in the Northeast, kU has to share the 5 TVs in KS with K-State, it's about population, Football is 2nd, Basketball is the backseat
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

MU will make more $ as a doormat in the SEC than being in the middle of the pack in the Bevo 10, the population numbers they think Rutgers will bring balances out the low population of Nebraska
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

You want to talk about an SEC bias?

Texas, with 3 home loses...drops only 2 spots...to #18!

Oklahoma State, with the worse record in the Top 25 at 7-4...is #23!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pstokely wrote:MU will make more $ as a doormat in the SEC than being in the middle of the pack in the Bevo 10, the population numbers they think Rutgers will bring balances out the low population of Nebraska
I can't think of many fans (ATKC excepted) that think - "gee, it would be nice to win but since we get more money from being a doormat in the SEC, ostensibly to fund research and further our academic programs (yea right), I am very happy to lose 44-0 to Georgia every year". If you had a crystal ball and told most Mizzou fans at the outset that they would be in the bottom half of the SEC on an annual basis, Mizzou would still be in the Big XII. Winning is the only thing that really matters....win and any money you would have lost from staying put would materialize. But Mizzou wasn't winning in the Big XII and they certainly weren't going to start winning by changing conferences.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote:But Mizzou wasn't winning in the Big XII and they certainly weren't going to start winning by changing conferences.
Exactly. So, I say, if you're going to be a doormat, you might as well be a rich doormat. (Not that being a "rich doormat" is the goal)
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

It's not like fans have any choice of what conference they're in. Could kU win any ACC or B10 games?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

pstokely wrote:It's not like fans have any choice of what conference they're in. Could kU win any ACC or B10 games?
They'd win a few games in the ACC. It's Florida State, Clemson and a bunch of KU's.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

As a Mizzou fan I say this: Mizzou would have "stunk it up" in the Big 12 this year too. I still think the move to the SEC was a good move, but it is definitely a tougher road than it would have been staying in the Big 12 as it stands right now. I believe Mizzou will be fine in the SEC - this was a particularly bad year for them.

I also believe KU can and should be a football contender in the Big 12. Mismanagement of coaching and funding over the years and the need to compete vs. K-State in a more sparcely populated state puts them in a tougher spot, but I'm continually surprised they are as bad as they have been in the past few years. Mangino's teams showed it's possible. Just need a strong coach who can recruit and coach well. It will happen eventually imo.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
pstokely wrote:It's not like fans have any choice of what conference they're in. Could kU win any ACC or B10 games?
They'd win a few games in the ACC. It's Florida State, Clemson and a bunch of KU's.
And, coming soon, Notre Dame.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

chaglang wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
And, coming soon, Notre Dame.
Not likely.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou football recruiting ranks dead last in SEC
Alabama and Florida are rank 1-2 by Rivals.com, a national scouting service recognized as an authority on college recruiting. The Crimson Tide and the Gators are followed by LSU (No. 5), Texas A&M (No. 8), Georgia (No. 10), Auburn (tied 11th), Mississippi (tied 11th), South Carolina (16th), Vanderbilt (19th) and Mississippi State (No. 23).

Heading into the final hours before letter-of-intent Signing Day on Wednesday, Rivals.com ranked Mizzou 42nd in the country.