2012 - 2013 SEC football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2012 - 2013 SEC football

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't think recruiting rankings mean much at this point. For example, K-State is currently dead last in the Big 12 (and behind Mizzou nationally). I would look for both Mizzou and K-State and move up eventually.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:I don't think recruiting rankings mean much at this point. For example, K-State is currently dead last in the Big 12 (and behind Mizzou nationally). I would look for both Mizzou and K-State and move up eventually.
It depends on who you are and what you are looking for. I don't think that the services really know what they are doing in many cases, so much as they look at who seems to be recruiting who. Snyder has a track record of looking at kids differently than the recruiting services do, and you also have to look at the needs of the team at the moment and how those are filled.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phxcat wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:I don't think recruiting rankings mean much at this point. For example, K-State is currently dead last in the Big 12 (and behind Mizzou nationally). I would look for both Mizzou and K-State and move up eventually.
It depends on who you are and what you are looking for. I don't think that the services really know what they are doing in many cases, so much as they look at who seems to be recruiting who. Snyder has a track record of looking at kids differently than the recruiting services do, and you also have to look at the needs of the team at the moment and how those are filled.
In football, the services may not be right, but they are ballpark enough to generally predict success. There are exceptions and KSU and Boise State tend to be in that niche every year. Boise State was third in putting players on pro rosters last year and have done pretty well the last 5 and they've had nothing but 3 star players. The difference is that both those teams have exceptional coaches that look for undervalued players and develop talent. With 30-40 players required to have good success, unlike basketball where a single phenom can make a huge difference, the higher rated recruiting classes tend to be a pretty good predictor of success.