turner Gill

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

turner Gill

Post by mgsports »

Gone and so is Ron Zook and others.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: turner Gill

Post by zonk »

Bring back the big man! :lol:
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Though I loved the automatic victory, Gill simply had to go. Probably one of the worst programs since KSU pre-Snyder.

So, who will the next coach be...? How attractive is the KU job in light of other job openings?

Open:
Ole Miss
Arizona
Arizona State
Illinois

Rumors:
UCLA
Washington State

KU might be a better job than Washington State. That's about it. Thoughts?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Get Mike Leach although probably a pipe-dream.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't know why it would be a pipe dream. Leach is damaged goods and would make more sense for a Big 12 school than those other programs since he already knows the conference and has Texas recruiting ties. Someone like Jim Tressel or Kevin Sumlin is more of a pipe dream - I'd love either but don't see KU being able to even get an interview.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Leach is said to be a favored candidate for the WSU job, but I don't see how that job is more attractive than KU.

Rumored candidates:

Blair Kerkoff of the Star: Mike Leach, Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora, former South Florida coach and former KSU asst. coach Jim Leavitt, Baylor defensive coordinator and former KSU DC Phil Bennett, Florida State def. coordinator Mark Stoops

JB Bauserfield of WIBW in Topeka: Bennett, Leavitt, Oklahoma defensive coord. Brent Venables.

Matt Tait of Lawrence J-W: Leach, Leavitt, Stoops, Fedora, Sumlin, Venables, Boise State coach Chris Petersen, Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, Northern Illinois coach Dave Doeren, Alabama defensive coord. Kirby Smart.

Austin Meek of Topeka Cap-Journal: Leach, Venables, Sumlin, Leavitt, Fedora, Calhoun, former Arizona coach Mike Stoops, Texas defensive coord. Manny Diaz, Okla State offensive coord. Todd Monken, K-State offensive coordinator and former Wyoming coach Dana Dimel.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Joe Pa is looking for work.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, Bob Fescoe tweets that a plan took off from Mike Leach's hometown and it is headed to Lawrence. Fans and media start showing up at the Lawrence Airport to meet Leach. The plane lands...only to have a family of 5 return home from their Thanksgiving vacation. :lol:

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

This is why nobody should listen to Rob Disco.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I feel like we need to go defense first with our new coach, or get a younger offensive minded coach and overpay for a quality defensive coordinator prospect. Also, I don't think we should care one iota about someone's connection to the University of Kansas. If they have a connection, great, but unless that allows us to get someone out of our league, I don't believe we should let it factor into our decision at all.

I could see a lot of coaches being scared off by conference realignment scenarios at KU. In my mind, going after only "name" coaches would be a mistake as we would likely end up with the reject name coach. Long-time coordinators are sometimes long-time coordinators for a reason. I think we should go after either a young coordinator or a head coach on the rise (with a proven track record longer than one OK season and a bad one). I wouldn't mind going after Mark Farley from Northern Iowa or Willie Fritz from Sam Houston State (both have KU connections oddly). It will be interesting to see what names float around. Maybe we can pay someone with a big name 50k to fly into town for a basketball game just to peak the interest of the lesser names?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote: I think we should go after either a young coordinator or a head coach on the rise (with a proven track record longer than one OK season and a bad one). I wouldn't mind going after Mark Farley from Northern Iowa or Willie Fritz from Sam Houston State (both have KU connections oddly).
I think people are wary of this route since that's how we got Terry Allen and Turner Gill.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote: I think we should go after either a young coordinator or a head coach on the rise (with a proven track record longer than one OK season and a bad one). I wouldn't mind going after Mark Farley from Northern Iowa or Willie Fritz from Sam Houston State (both have KU connections oddly).
I think people are wary of this route since that's how we got Terry Allen and Turner Gill.
Yeah, no way do we go after some small time coach. After what happened with Allen and Gill, nobody is going to be on board with hiring anyone from a non-BCS school...or at least someone with BCS coaching experience, either as a head coach or long time assistant.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Do ku fans think a legit coach would be scared off with the prospect of only getting 2 years to turn it around?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:Do ku fans think a legit coach would be scared off with the prospect of only getting 2 years to turn it around?
Not if they were making $2 million per win. I'd coach Kansas, get 2 wins in 2 years and make $4 million. It's hard to see a coach turning that kind of money down, even for just 2 years.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:Do ku fans think a legit coach would be scared off with the prospect of only getting 2 years to turn it around?
I don't think most coaching candidates feel they can't turn things around quickly. Most have pretty big egos.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Bill Snyder has proven that you can take a horrible program to respectability in two years. Then he came back and did it again.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Snyder had two conference wins his second season....is that respectable?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

No. All we are asking for is better than 1 conference win in two years. If Gill had won 3 conference games this season, I doubt there would have been much buzz to fire him at all. Heck, if we had only won one conference game and played others close, he could have saved his job. If a coach is worried he will go 5-19, then yes, he should be worried about the KU gig.

Turner Gill was not at all like the guys I mentioned before. Gill had never proven anything. His only good season as a coach was an 8 win season. He followed that up with a 5 win season. Terry Allen would be the reason not to hire an FCS guy. Mangino shows how it can pay off to take a flyer on a lowly coordinator or assistant. Looking at the successful hires over recent years, I'll admit I was probably wrong to jump on the FCS bandwagon. Almost no existing BCS or D-1 head coach would take a job at KU, though, as there are too many options right now. So we are left with the second tier of coordinators and the rejected coaches like Leach and others. I think I'd rather go the youngish coordinator route like when Utah picked up Urban Meyer, KU picked up Mangino, etc. Sheahon Zenger will make or break his reputation on this pick, sadly enough, so I'm sure he will not take the decision lightly. If we are looking for another coach in 2 years, we could also be looking for another AD.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:Snyder had two conference wins his second season....is that respectable?
Snyder also won five games overall - had Turner had a 5-7 season this year, I don't think people are calling for his head. Snyder also blew out three of his non-con opponents, something Turner couldn't do (although ironically Snyder lost to Northern Illinois, who Turner Gill beat!) Snyder's Cats were also pretty competitive in the games they lost, only getting blown out twice. Gill lost by 30 or more SIX times. I don't think you can look at the 1990 Cats and the 2011 Jayhawks and say they are at all comparable.

Also Snyder's five win season was the most they had enjoyed in eight seasons, and just their third winning season in three decades. There are college seniors at KU who were there when the team was in the Orange Bowl and a win away from a national title game. The expectations are a bit different.

Its also frankly a much different environment in college football. You need to produce results faster as much more is at stake. The Cats could afford to be patient with Snyder - what else did they have to lose at that point? The Jayhawks need to turn their football program around now or else they risk obscurity and irrelevance for an era.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed its a different time....I don't think the comparisons to what Snyder did are applicable in this situation...odd comparison.