Interesting new ad campaign from KU

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Interesting new ad campaign from KU

Post by KCMax »

It just illustrates how stupid it was to have it in Arrowhead anyway. There wasn't really a rivalry. Both teams have basically been stinkers through most of their schools history. There is very little football tradition at either school. Nice for KC I guess, but no one should really be surprised that the only time there was much of an atmosphere was the one year both teams were Top Ten.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

MU has not been a stinker through much of its history. 70s and 80s were bad decades but other than that they have been respectable or great. Just because you don't finish first doesn't mean you stink, just means you don't have a trophy.

Can't believe I got baited into that.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:It just illustrates how stupid it was to have it in Arrowhead anyway. There wasn't really a rivalry. Both teams have basically been stinkers through most of their schools history. There is very little football tradition at either school. Nice for KC I guess, but no one should really be surprised that the only time there was much of an atmosphere was the one year both teams were Top Ten.
The following year was a good crowd and atmosphere, actually. Obviously, nothing is going to top the top ten matchup, but the next year was a fantastic game in the snow. The Mangino implosion happened the following year, and Turner Gill happened for the two years after that. As much as a lot of people hate that the game is at Arrowhead, it is still a good recruiting tool, and I'd argue it would get even less national attention if it were a home and away series. I was for having it at Arrowhead, but now that is a moot point since MU took their talents to the SEC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just looking at the MU attendance records and of the current Big 12 schools KU is the second worst draw at MU behind A and M. So I would agree that MU fan base has never looked at this a rivalry.

Also of note is that Faurot only seats 62K but can be expanded to 71k with temporary bleachers.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote:MU has not been a stinker through much of its history. 70s and 80s were bad decades but other than that they have been respectable or great. Just because you don't finish first doesn't mean you stink, just means you don't have a trophy.

Can't believe I got baited into that.
They were bad in the 90s too. Just two winning seasons and they were a 7 and 8 win season. Yippee. 43-67 for the decade. So yea, they were only bad for those three decades. And most of the 1950s. And 1930s. Really, aside from the 1960s a mediocre stretch in the 1940s and the last decade, they have been crummy.

And this isn't smack talk, KU has been even worse. I just think its silly to think two bad programs can have much of a rivalry and sell out a 70,000 seat stadium once the novelty wears off.I don't blame Mizzou and KU fans for not showing up.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

KCPowercat wrote:Yeah thanks mu....half full stadiums show just how much fan support you have here. Bye.

The number of Mizzou fans in Arrowhead at a meaningless end-of-season gane would have practically filled the stadiums at ku or ksu. Save your tiresome rants for the paltry 5K that showed up for ku. Or the predictably miserable crowd for ksu last time they played at Arrowhead.

Isn't it time you thanked Mizzou for providing more economic stimulus to KC than any other school's athletic department?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

No local teams should really be engaging in any sort of historical college football smack talk. By most standards, all three teams are terrible.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

shinatoo wrote:Just looking at the MU attendance records and of the current Big 12 schools KU is the second worst draw at MU behind A and M. So I would agree that MU fan base has never looked at this a rivalry.

Also of note is that Faurot only seats 62K but can be expanded to 71k with temporary bleachers.
Over what period of time, and is this average attendance, total attendance, and does the neutral site count against those numbers? When MU was having its best seasons and probably getting great attendance numbers at home, they were also playing a neutral site game against KU to the tune of 65k fans/year.

I can see where there was low attendance (prior to Arrowhead) when MU was having a terrible season, but I still don't see how it isn't seen as a rivalry. To get 60,287 people to watch 3-4 Mizzou vs. 2-6 Kansas in 2002 says that game is a rivalry. To get 53,480 to watch 4-5 Mizzou vs. 3-7 Kansas says it is a rivalry (2004). I know too many MU fans to be fooled when they say that beating Kansas means nothing to them (probably more the not losing than the winning). It is a good defense mechanism, but we see right through you. I will admit that it means something to KU fans, even when your basketball team is terrible.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Mo..I said thanks. Now its over.....we appreciate mu fan passion to fill 50% of the kc facilities they play in.....really will miss that fan support. Bye now.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

KCPowercat wrote:Mo..I said thanks. Now its over.....we appreciate mu fan passion to fill 50% of the kc facilities they play in.....really will miss that fan support. Bye now.
Not sure why you're saying good-bye--Kansas City is in Missouri and this state's flagship university and its supporters aren't going anywhere. In fact,Mizzou is the only area Division 1 program that has committed to playing games in KC for the foreseeable future. The Tigers will continue to play basketball and football games in front of very healthy KC crowds, and the combined number of fans they draw to those events will, as in the past, dwarf the numbers drawn by other area programs.

MU's days in the Big 12 will soon be over but Mizzou's athletic presence in KC will remain stronger than any other Division 1 school's. Area supporters of other universities should be grateful for the Tigers' robust commitment to KC, and for the economic boost that commitment brings to KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"healthy" = 50% facilities full? Crazy tigers.

We shall see if they actually continue to play....what promoter wants to build anything around MU when they count on the stadium filling? CBE Classic prime example.

MU will be 3rd in this market in 5 years....they may already be.

"economic boost" = our conference change took away a $10M annual conference...but we'll hold a football game that brings 47k people....maybe...if anybody wants to play us.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

MoMan wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Mo..I said thanks. Now its over.....we appreciate mu fan passion to fill 50% of the kc facilities they play in.....really will miss that fan support. Bye now.
Not sure why you're saying good-bye--Kansas City is in Missouri and this state's flagship university and its supporters aren't going anywhere. In fact,Mizzou is the only area Division 1 program that has committed to playing games in KC for the foreseeable future. The Tigers will continue to play basketball and football games in front of very healthy KC crowds, and the combined number of fans they draw to those events will, as in the past, dwarf the numbers drawn by other area programs.

MU's days in the Big 12 will soon be over but Mizzou's athletic presence in KC will remain stronger than any other Division 1 school's. Area supporters of other universities should be grateful for the Tigers' robust commitment to KC, and for the economic boost that commitment brings to KC.
It reads like you're being sarcastic but I know you're not.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

KCPowercat wrote:"healthy" = 50% facilities full? Crazy tigers.

We shall see if they actually continue to play....what promoter wants to build anything around MU when they count on the stadium filling? CBE Classic prime example.

"economic boost" = our conference change took away a $10M annual conference...but we'll hold a football game that brings 47k people....maybe...if anybody wants to play us.
There were two area teams who played at Arrowhead last weekend. Mizzou filled more than its half of the stadium, the other one brought 5K fans. Which team has the least supportive fans, the sort that area promoters wouldn't want to "build anything around"?

And when Kansas State last played at Arrowhead, in beautiful weather early in the season against a team that brought as many fans as K-State, how many people rattled around in the stadium? 39K. Wonder which team promoters might be a little shy about inviting back.

And you think that Mizzou is 3rd in this market? Oh, the irony...
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
MoMan wrote:Not sure why you're saying good-bye--Kansas City is in Missouri and this state's flagship university and its supporters aren't going anywhere. In fact,Mizzou is the only area Division 1 program that has committed to playing games in KC for the foreseeable future. The Tigers will continue to play basketball and football games in front of very healthy KC crowds, and the combined number of fans they draw to those events will, as in the past, dwarf the numbers drawn by other area programs.

It reads like you're being sarcastic but I know you're not.
Only MoMan believes his delusional bullshit. He's the only Mizzou fan on here who doesn't want to admit that KC is a KU town, and that MU's pull in this area will only diminish once it leaves to the SEC. He keeps bringing up the attendance at the Border War, as if KU fans should be expected to show up to watch our sorry team lose again. He fails to bring up the attendance figures in '07, '08, and '09 when KU was competitive.

The fact is, KC will still be in Big 12 country and nowhere close to other SEC teams. The interest in MU sports will still be there for fans of MU, but I would expect lots of casual fans to lose interest in Mizzou, especially if they start having .500 records in SEC play.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:"healthy" = 50% facilities full? Crazy tigers.

Powercat, you're cool and everything. But, I think you're comparing apples to oranges. What you're saying about MU could just as easily be said about KSU. Let me tweak your post:

We shall see if they actually continue to play....what promoter wants to build anything around KSU when they count on the stadium filling? Last year's KSU/ISU game prime example.

KSU will be 3rd in this market in 5 years....they already are, behind KU and MU.

"economic boost" = our conference could die out or become extremely weak at anytime...but we'll hold a football game that fills more than half of Arrowhead...if anybody wants to play us. And, if nobody wants to play us, we'll just play with ourselves! :P

We already know MU will be on TV a lot more in KC than KSU or KU. I'd have to think that if MU continues to play in KC and plays multiple games on CBS (while KSU and KU will be on FSN or LHN), that the MU exposure in KC will be just fine, maybe more than it is now. Now, that's only my best guess. I could be completely wrong. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

kcmetro wrote:Only MoMan believes his delusional bullshit. He's the only Mizzou fan on here who doesn't want to admit that KC is a KU town...
I think that because of its basketball success, and because its campus is less than an hour from KC, KU has more diehard fans in the KC area than Mizzou. But I also believe that there are many more casual MU fans in this metro, and that a Mizzou football or basketball team that competed for a national championship would bring those fans out of the woodwork. More than 60% of area residents live in Missouri, after all, and they're no more likely to become KU fans than area Kansas residents are to become Tiger fans.
kcmetro wrote:The fact is, KC will still be in Big 12 country and nowhere close to other SEC teams. The interest in MU sports will still be there for fans of MU, but I would expect lots of casual fans to lose interest in Mizzou, especially if they start having .500 records in SEC play.
It's been years since this city was the headquarters or geographical heart of any football conference, and KC has never had the emotional connection with the Big 12 that it had with the Big 8. When Mizzou moves to the SEC, the state of Missouri and its cities of KC and St. Louis will no longer be in Big 12 country. Of neighboring states closest to the KC border, only one (Kansas) is really Big 12 country: Nebraska is a Big 10 state, Arkansas is an SEC state, and Iowa is divided but predominantly a Big 10 state. The whole region is identified less and less with the Big 12, and the addition of TCU and West Virginia next year should absolutely destroy any lingering nostalgia for a conference that stopped feeling like family not long after the Big 8 was cannibalized.

As for MU fans abandoning the team after it joins the SEC, I guess it's possible Mizzou could lose some of its most casual followers if the football team performs less well than it has in recent years--no different from what happens to KU when, say, its football team fails to win a conference game during the course of a season. But it's probably far more likely MU's fan base will grow after it joins the SEC and benefits from more TV exposure than what the Big 12 or any other conference could offer.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote:Not to let KU go unscathed. If KU really wanted to be KC's team, then play Missouri in KC in football and basketball annually. I can see why they might not want to do it in football, most teams are not willing to take on a likely loss in the pre conference schedule
Then why are teams willing to play ND, either preconference, during conference, or the last game of the season? It can be a win for them but more likely a loss and a loss later in the season seems to hurt a team more in standings than an early season loss. They play ND more so as a tradition than anything else (maybe throw in some extra money). MU and KU have the tradition and MU appears to be willing to continue it. KU on the other hand appears to go out of its way to avoid MU just to seek some sort of revenge. Scheduling a game against a weaker team could end up hurting KU more in the billfold than playing MU at Arrowhead.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MoMan wrote:There were two area teams who played at Arrowhead last weekend...Which team has the least supportive fans, the sort that area promoters wouldn't want to "build anything around"?
Agreed. Also, KU isn't pretending it can be a pull at Arrowhead for a football game.
Mizzou filled more than its half of the stadium, the other one brought 5K fans.
Citation needed.
And when Kansas State last played at Arrowhead, in beautiful weather early in the season against a team that brought as many fans as K-State,
Citation needed
how many people rattled around in the stadium? 39K.
Totally agree. Farmaggedon was a failure...remember, KU/MU was supposed to be one of the biggest rivalries in the midwest right? KSU/ISU obviously was not a draw. Failed experiment.
Wonder which team promoters might be a little shy about inviting back.
Football? KSU drew a full house vs. Iowa (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores10 ... 239518.htm) and bigger crowd vs. Cal (http://kstatesports.cstv.com/sports/m-f ... 03aac.html) in non-con at Arrowhead..not to mention Big 12 championships....in basketball....KSU filled the CBE classic (http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbe/ ... urecap.htm) and non-con single events (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303262306) the past few years.
And you think that Mizzou is 3rd in this market? Oh, the irony...
Yes....MIGHT be tied for 2nd now...in a few years MU will be like NU in KC has always been...has fans...but nothing impactful.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Then why are teams willing to play ND, either preconference, during conference, or the last game of the season? It can be a win for them but more likely a loss and a loss later in the season seems to hurt a team more in standings than an early season loss.They play ND more so as a tradition than anything else (maybe throw in someextra money). MU and KU have the tradition and MU appears to be willing to continue it. KU on the other hand appears to go out of its way to avoid MU just to seek some sort of revenge. Scheduling a game against a weaker team could end up hurting KU more in the billfold than playing MU at Arrowhead.
Fixed it.