Interesting new ad campaign from KU

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Interesting new ad campaign from KU

Post by KCPowercat »

So you disagree that KU has a majority of the KC metro "fans"? We are supposed to just take your opinion, based on apparently nothing, as fact?

Big 12 ticket sales for the tournament, where people buy just to go to the event, not for an individual team, would be a good measure of the KC metro loving the Big 12 as a conference. Casual fans like "stories" and a rivalry of close teams provides that..that's a reason I think MU will lose some of those casual fans. Maybe MU will pick up fans who like to watch a team get smeared by SEC teams....I could be completely wrong at my prediction.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote:So you disagree that KU has a majority of the KC metro "fans"? We are supposed to just take your opinion, based on apparently nothing, as fact?

Big 12 ticket sales for the tournament, where people buy just to go to the event, not for an individual team, would be a good measure of the KC metro loving the Big 12 as a conference. Casual fans like "stories" and a rivalry of close teams provides that..that's a reason I think MU will lose some of those casual fans. Maybe MU will pick up fans who like to watch a team get smeared by SEC teams....I could be completely wrong at my prediction.
Don't you know, nobody goes to the basketball tourney at the Sprint Center because football is this region's main sport. That's why there are more Mizzou fans than any other...because everyone around KC loves a perennial power in football, which pretty much describes Mizzou football. MU's mediocre football program always trumps KU's top 5 basketball program. :lol:
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

KCPowercat wrote:So you disagree that KU has a majority of the KC metro "fans"? We are supposed to just take your opinion, based on apparently nothing, as fact?

I acknowledged that Kansas clearly has a majority of the hardcore basketball fans. It's also a fact that in this city, as in most parts of the country, football is king. Are you claiming that Kansas basketball success means its football team has more fans than any other area program? I'd like to see THAT ridiculous claim supported with facts.
KCPowercat wrote:Big 12 ticket sales for the tournament, where people buy just to go to the event, not for an individual team, would be a good measure of the KC metro loving the Big 12 as a conference.

You're sorely mistaken if you think people buy tickets to the Big 12 tournament because they love Big 12 basketball, and not the opportunity to see one of the area teams play. A Texas/Baylor or TCU/West Virginia final would really pack 'em in at the Sprint Center, 'cause KC loves it some Big 12--right?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think we have officially reached college sports smack rock bottom.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If its about football then Ksu wins the city. Case closed.

I know many people who buy just for the tournament.....and go to all the games not just one team.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

mean wrote:I think we have officially reached college sports smack rock bottom.
Nope. Just when you thought it couldn't get any more surreal, this:
KCPowercat wrote:If its about football then Ksu wins the city. Case closed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Mu has such great football success....lolers
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The 30k people.at arrowhead tomorrow will be a powerful message.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

Since 80% of the attendance for a game featuring two disappointing teams will be Mizzou fans, wouldn't the most powerful message be how shallow the support for KU is in this area? There just aren't that many Kansas sports fans in the KC metro unless you're talking basketball--a sport which conference realignment unfortunately exposed as all but inconsequential.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MoMan wrote: Football has long been the region's favorite sport, and there's a MU/KU football game at Arrowhead this weekend--check out the number of fans for each school at that game to see where KC's loyalties lie.

47k....impressive.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:47k....impressive.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302612306
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

KCPowercat wrote:The 30k people.at arrowhead tomorrow will be a powerful message.
Even though it was cold and rainy, your attendance projection was off by more than 50%.

Nice showing by Tiger supporters, and a great economic stimulus for the city. There were Mizzou fans everywhere on the Plaza Saturday morning and early afternoon.

Disgraceful that only a few thousand Kansas fans made it to Arrowhead. That speaks much louder than the school's clumsy billboard propaganda campaign about who owns KC when it comes to the nation's and the city's favorite sport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tickets sold doesn't equal butts in seats. Some estimated 40k actually there. Really showed how powerful mu fan support is.....LOL
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I saw those billboards while in town last weekend. Didn't quite get their purpose placed along eastbound 70 in MO, but figured it had something to do with MU leaving the big 12.

KC is a KU town though IMO. Places like eastern jax definitely lean MU, but there are still a lot of KU fans even out there. As a metro, the KC area seems much more KU. Every time I step off a plane at KCI, I immediately see people wearing KU gear sitting in the gates or walking down the concourses, which I think is bush league and tacky, but you guys all know that!

I think that KC has a lot of casual MU fans while KU has a more of a die hard following. Like somebody mentioned, MU is all about St Louis County while the KC area is very much an afterthought at MU and sends more students to other schools like UCM and MO State, many of which are also casual MU fans, especially when needing to take a side vs KU.

Having only 30k MU fans show up for a game at Arrowhead shows how much MU leans toward the eastern side of the state and while they will drive to Columbia or fill venues in StL when they play there, most won't make the drive to KC to see MU play a team like KU. People in St Louis don't care about the MU/KU rivalry.

At the same time, I think it's actually pretty impressive that as many KU fans showed up as they did for that game. KU is a basketball school and their football team sucks right now, yet they still brought 1/3 of what MU did to Arrowhead.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Everybody can relax. Mizzou had about 40K...not 30K. So, Mizzou was given 30% of the tickets...was able to fill up over half of Arrowhead stadium, giving Mizzou about 80% or more of the fans. HOW MUCH FULLER IS THE MU SIDE SUPPOSED TO BE?

Kansas side:

Missouri side:

Kansas student section:

Missouri student section:
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

Crowd of 47K, all but a few thousand of them MU fans, would be close to capacity at either Kansas or Kansas State. Nice showing, Mizzou--KC owes a debt of gratitude once again to the school and its fans for supporting the area economy.

Here's hoping Mizzou can get an opponent with more fan support, like Arkansas or Nebraska, to come play at Arrowhead in the future.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah thanks mu....half full stadiums show just how much fan support you have here. Bye.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Is Mizzou supposed to sell out the whole stadium or what? The Chiefs don't even do that.

Has KU or KSU had a higher attendance at Arrowhead than Mizzou? No.

Funny you bash Mizzou for having 47K at Arrowhead, but you say nothing about the 38K that KSU/ISU brought there last year.

Until KSU or KU top MU's attendance at Arrowhead, I think you'll have to say MU has the most football support here in "KANSAS" City.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah i'd say that 47K at arrowhead on a holiday weekend, on the first freezing-ass cold day of the season, against a shitty KU team, on the last game of MU's last Big XII season isn't too bad at all.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

State university smack on the internet = lol.