Interesting new ad campaign from KU

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Interesting new ad campaign from KU

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mean wrote:Science is not a more important or more valid thing to spend lots of money on than people throwing balls around a field?

Um, ok.
Science. Arts. Sports. Different strokes for different folks.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

You say we would be beter off giving the scholarship money to non-athletic purposes, but without athletics most of these schools would not get near the amount of donations they already receive. I would argue that academic scholarships increase in proportion to athletic achievement at any school. Even Harvard will see a bump this year because they are good at basketball. I can almost guarantee that LSU is getting more academic donations this year than they do in a regular year because their football team is playing well.

And no, I don't put the arts and sports on the same level. But, sports can actually bring money back to the university, both directly and indirectly, to athletic programs AND academic programs. Being a major league sports city is a really big deal. Anymore, it is what keeps the perception of KC from being that of cities like Tulsa, Omaha, etc. Sports are community builders, unifiers, and sources of inspiration. I'd love to read the story about how sports don't pay out, but sports are an activity provided by the school. You can try out for a sports team like you can try to get into business school. A portion of tuition goes to any number of different schools or buildings or programs that will never pay the university back. In the 2009-10 year for KU, student fees totalled $1.9 million for athletics which is under $100/student. KU received $7.3 million in "broadcast, television, radio, and internet rights" which are all advertisements for the program. That doesn't seem to be an unfair burden on the students to me.