Does any non-KU non-KSU fan want MU to stay in the Dead 12?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Does any non-KU non-KSU fan want MU to stay in the Dead

Post by Highlander »

AJoD wrote:Right, but that's sort of the point, no? If you're waiting to see what kind of Tier I deal you get, you're really not committed to the idea of the conference. That's something the Big 10, the SEC, the Pac-?, and the ACC all have...it seems like the Big 12 should have that, should have had that, but for whatever reason, that hasn't been the case.
That's what you get when you merge two conferences. It created the best all round conference in college sports but the enthusiasm and tradition wasn't there except for maybe with OU and UT. But being the best should have been the motivation to make it work.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

mean wrote:Speaking as someone who didn't go to college, doesn't care about college sports, and has a difficult time understanding why people care so deeply about this nonsense, I have a hard time understanding why MU would be willing to throw away a rivalry that literally goes back to the Civil War. That's a proud tradition, and to me it is like tearing down a wonderful historic building.
It's a garbage rivalry I'd love to see in the trashcan...I'm not a fucking confederate border raider or a fucking "slaver," as i swear to god I'm called every time i'm in Lawrence these days.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Well if you would leave your god damn slaves on the plantation for once instead of toting them around with you every time you go to Lawrence maybe you'd be left alone!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I thought KK made a decent point last weekend when he asked "is it time to admit that the KU/MU "rivalry" was a huge fraud?"

I think if you ask most national observers what the biggest rivalries in college are, KU/MU would be pretty far down the list. And its not because we're the midwest either IMO. Its because the game has never really meant much. Duke/UNC usually determines the conference title in basketball. Ohio State/Michigan often determines the Big Ten football title. Auburn and Alabama have won numerous SEC titles.

At least until the 90s, Mizzou and KU were usually fighting for their third win of the season in football. And while the two were title contenders in the Big 8 in the 80s, the rivalry fell off quite a bit in the 90s when KU rose to dominance and Mizzou muddled in mediocrity. In the past twenty years, I never got the sense that anything was on the line except that one year they played for the Big 12 North title. In that sense its the same as rivalries like Wisconsin/Minnesota, Indiana/Purdue, Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. But its probably even worse than that because I can't imagine even those lesser rivalries getting split up, whereas Mizzou apparently doesn't even feel there is much of a rivalry. If it were a real rivalry, like Auburn/Alabama, or even Alabama/Tennessee, you'd have teams re-jiggering conferences just to make sure the rivalries are still there- like Alabama is doing. Mizzou is doing the exact opposite.

So anyway, I long thought KU/MU was overhyped by this area to give us something to root for with the backdrop of the Civil War really the only thing making the rivalry any more interesting. I went to Ohio State and their rivalry with Michigan is a REAL rivalry. They legitimately hate each other. And they would never in a million years part ways with Michigan.

My guess is MU starts a mini-rivalry with Arkansas and KU starts one with K-State, and neither are really very good rivalries, but they're enough to keep fans interested. With Mizzou gone we can kill the KU/MU rivalry for good, and downplay the Kansas/Missouri state rivalry and perhaps in a generation or two when kids grow up not knowing there was ever a rivalry, we can work together as a metro better.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Highlander wrote:
AJoD wrote:Right, but that's sort of the point, no? If you're waiting to see what kind of Tier I deal you get, you're really not committed to the idea of the conference. That's something the Big 10, the SEC, the Pac-?, and the ACC all have...it seems like the Big 12 should have that, should have had that, but for whatever reason, that hasn't been the case.
That's what you get when you merge two conferences. It created the best all round conference in college sports but the enthusiasm and tradition wasn't there except for maybe with OU and UT. But being the best should have been the motivation to make it work.
Sad but true.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: Mizzou is doing the exact opposite.
I would somewhat agree with the fraud statement. For most of the people I know who are Mizzou fans the homecoming game had a higher priority than when KU came into Columbia. And it seemed the MU/KU game only became more important when it was moved to Arrowhead.

However, saying Mizzou is taking the exact opposite track takes away KU's part in the matter. MU has offered to continue playing the game but for now KU has rejected the idea.

Maybe it is only the KC area that has put a high value on this game. For others it is no big deal.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:MU has offered to continue playing the game but for now KU has rejected the idea.
Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too. In other news, the guy who filled your gas tank with sugar would like you to keep him in mind for your next oil change.

I can understand why some people think MU will be better off in the SEC, but I do not understand how those same people can't seem to fathom how KU will owe nothing back to MU in the way of continuation of the rivalry that has benefited both teams. MU's two guaranteed national games/year in basketball and KU's boost in football recruiting due to a quality rivalry in an NFL stadium are no longer such a great tradeoff when you factor in MU initiating a series of events that could put KU's conference status in limbo. In other words, when you make a decision that negatively impacts those close to you (regardless of how beneficial it is to you), you can't blame them when they act to distance themselves from you. Without your initial action (MU leaving in this case), there is no need for such a reaction.

I don't see MU and Nebraska rushing to play each other in the non-con, either. It is clear that history and rivalry are not important enough factors to change minds. Regardless of how overhyped some people think the rivalry with Kansas is, I know for an absolute fact that beating KU in football and in basketball means a lot to most MU fans. If history means little to MU, then don't act upset when KU throws history back in your face.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Missouri Fan here (duh)

option 1: stay in Big 12
option 2: find a way to move to the Big 10
option 3: SEC or some other scenario that doesn't involve the West Coast
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

My thoughts exactly, StL_Dan!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

bobbyhawks wrote:In other news, the guy who filled your gas tank with sugar would like you to keep him in mind for your next oil change.

I can understand why some people think MU will be better off in the SEC, but I do not understand how those same people can't seem to fathom how KU will owe nothing back to MU in the way of continuation of the rivalry that has benefited both teams. MU's two guaranteed national games/year in basketball and KU's boost in football recruiting due to a quality rivalry in an NFL stadium are no longer such a great tradeoff when you factor in MU initiating a series of events that could put KU's conference status in limbo. In other words, when you make a decision that negatively impacts those close to you (regardless of how beneficial it is to you), you can't blame them when they act to distance themselves from you. Without your initial action (MU leaving in this case), there is no need for such a reaction.

I don't see MU and Nebraska rushing to play each other in the non-con, either. It is clear that history and rivalry are not important enough factors to change minds. Regardless of how overhyped some people think the rivalry with Kansas is, I know for an absolute fact that beating KU in football and in basketball means a lot to most MU fans. If history means little to MU, then don't act upset when KU throws history back in your face.
You really sound bitter about this. From the tone of your post it sounds like you feel this is the end of the Big 12 (put KU's conference status in limbo). If that is true then the conference should do everything in its power to keep MU from leaving.

Whoever said MU or KU owes each other anything? And who really cares about MU playing Neb? Beating KU in basketball is a big deal because of the nature of the KU program, but football? Maybe in KC but around the state?

If history and rivalry are important then I guess this country should not have Japan or Germany as allies, or even England since we have been at war with them in the past.

MU made an offer, KU throws a hissy-fit and rejects it. Oh well, life goes on.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

college sports rivalries equal international politics....YES!
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:In other news, the guy who filled your gas tank with sugar would like you to keep him in mind for your next oil change.

You really sound bitter about this. From the tone of your post it sounds like you feel this is the end of the Big 12 (put KU's conference status in limbo). If that is true then the conference should do everything in its power to keep MU from leaving.

Whoever said MU or KU owes each other anything? And who really cares about MU playing Neb? Beating KU in basketball is a big deal because of the nature of the KU program, but football? Maybe in KC but around the state?

If history and rivalry are important then I guess this country should not have Japan or Germany as allies, or even England since we have been at war with them in the past.

MU made an offer, KU throws a hissy-fit and rejects it. Oh well, life goes on.
KU isn't throwing a hissy fit, Missouri is in the midst of a two year hissy fit, part of which is punching KU in the gut and expecting KU to let it slide. MU leaving won't end the conference, but it is reckless and could have had that consequence. Also, you are all acting like it is a zero sum game, like MU is already on the schedule. If they leave, they are not- KU would be adding them to the non-con, which is much easier said than done, and they would be doing it only to improve MU in the eyes of those in KC who feel that MU turned their backs on them.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

phxcat wrote:KU isn't throwing a hissy fit, Missouri is in the midst of a two year hissy fit, part of which is punching KU in the gut and expecting KU to let it slide. MU leaving won't end the conference, but it is reckless and could have had that consequence. Also, you are all acting like it is a zero sum game, like MU is already on the schedule. If they leave, they are not- KU would be adding them to the non-con, which is much easier said than done, and they would be doing it only to improve MU in the eyes of those in KC who feel that MU turned their backs on them.
=D>
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

phxcat wrote: part of which is punching KU in the gut
What has the OK schools and Texas done? Kiss KU, K-State on the lips. Their actions during this two year time frame has been just like MU's. The trouble is their attempts to leave have not been successful. And losing those schools would have had a bigger effect on the conference than MU's. And don't think that the current deal will keep those schools in the conference. They will leave if an opportunity presents itself.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

MU will do what is best for MU and KU, KSU and the rest will do what is beat for themselves as well.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
phxcat wrote: part of which is punching KU in the gut
What has the OK schools and Texas done? Kiss KU, K-State on the lips. Their actions during this two year time frame has been just like MU's. The trouble is their attempts to leave have not been successful. And losing those schools would have had a bigger effect on the conference than MU's. And don't think that the current deal will keep those schools in the conference. They will leave if an opportunity presents itself.
But those schools aren't expecting KU to go out of their way to make them look like their actions aren't hurting their own states.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Whoever said MU or KU owes each other anything? And who really cares about MU playing Neb? Beating KU in basketball is a big deal because of the nature of the KU program, but football? Maybe in KC but around the state?
I for one think 100+ years of mutually beneficial rivalry is worth something. I'm a KU fan, and the MU-NU rivalry even means something to me. My Grandpa went to Nebraska, and most of my family went to MU. My Grandparents tell me stories about MU-NU/MU-KU/KU-NU games going back to the Great Depression. It hurts to see all that I have known my entire life yanked away, so yes, I am bitter that MU thinks money is more important than historic partnerships. MU-NU, MU-KU, and KU-KSU are/were three of the oldest rivalries in the nation.

I'm starting to think that the real reason MU fans want to leave, aside from the glitz of being wined and dined for an extended period of time, is to lord their wantedness over teams like KU and KSU. It makes them feel like one of the big boys, though their budget doesn't even come close to proving that is the case. I am also very angry with Nebraska and their eagerness to leave the past behind. I have family that went to Colorado, and they have stopped watching CU sports because of the departure. aTm left a bad taste as well, but none of them have dragged a story around for as long as Mizzou has. Remember that the story all started with MU and the Big 10? Meanwhile, the Big 12 doesn't know if it will have 9, 10, or 12 teams next season all because we are twiddling our thumbs waiting for MU to descend down the steps in a tiara. MU is taking its time, and you can't blame teams like KU for wanting them to trip and fall.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I read some joking around and putdowns about the towns that are in the SEC, as well as how disconnected these towns are from the Mizzou fanbase, of which I am proximate to a large chunk of.

St. Louis to Nashville, TN 5:18 (love to visit, not entirely the Country Town stereotyped)
St. Louis to Lexington, KY 5:37 (never been, would like to visit)
St. Louis to Oxford, MS 5:57 (one of the top 10 favorite meals I've ever had was here, great under rated town)
St. Louis to Fayetteville, AR 6:04 (near Eureka Springs which is 5:21, never been to town proper)
St. Louis, MO to Knoxville, TN 8:06 (drive through multiple times a year, interesting enough and near mtns)

St. Louis to Lawrence, KS 4:45 (like to visit)
St. Louis to Manhattan, KS 6:00 (wouldn't go there to visit alone, love the flint hills)
St. Louis to Ames, IA 6:45 (not really interested in going unless on way to mpls)
St. Louis to Stillwater, OK 7:39 (not really interested in going for any reason)
St. Louis to Norman, OK 8:29 (not really interested in going for any reason)

times from google maps.

I'm a casual MIzzou fan, but the probability of attending away games - being that they are in the cooler part of the year - just might increase.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

warwickland wrote:I read some joking around and putdowns about the towns that are in the SEC, as well as how disconnected these towns are from the Mizzou fanbase, of which I am proximate to a large chunk of.

St. Louis to Nashville, TN 5:18 (love to visit, not entirely the Country Town stereotyped)
St. Louis to Lexington, KY 5:37 (never been, would like to visit)
St. Louis to Oxford, MS 5:57 (one of the top 10 favorite meals I've ever had was here, great under rated town)
St. Louis to Fayetteville, AR 6:04 (near Eureka Springs which is 5:21, never been to town proper)
St. Louis, MO to Knoxville, TN 8:06 (drive through multiple times a year, interesting enough and near mtns)

St. Louis to Lawrence, KS 4:45 (like to visit)
St. Louis to Manhattan, KS 6:00 (wouldn't go there to visit alone, love the flint hills)
St. Louis to Ames, IA 6:45 (not really interested in going unless on way to mpls)
St. Louis to Stillwater, OK 7:39 (not really interested in going for any reason)
St. Louis to Norman, OK 8:29 (not really interested in going for any reason)

times from google maps.

I'm a casual MIzzou fan, but the probability of attending away games - being that they are in the cooler part of the year - just might increase.
Interesting, but replace Oxford and Fayetteville with Athens, GA, Columbia, SC and Gainesville, FL because that's where Mizzou will be playing year in and year out.

Maybe Fayetteville can stay because that might be Mizzou's "rivalry" game.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'll believe that when I see it. KC is closer to Columbia than any of SEC campuses, and Mizzou fans don't come out.