Does any non-KU non-KSU fan want MU to stay in the Dead 12?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Does any non-KU non-KSU fan want MU to stay in the Dead

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCMax wrote: What two "quality schools" would satisfy you? BYU? Notre Dame? Louisville?
I would prefer an AAU school. But, if that's not an option, I wouldn't mind seeing Louisville or Cincinnati. I wouldn't mind BYU or WVU either, they just don't seem to have the greatest location.
So no Nebraska? :lol:

What about Tulane?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Maybe it's because I'm a non-AAU university alumnus but had anyone ever even heard of the AAU before this conference realignment stuff? Maybe I'm just some backwoods hick but I had no idea it existed until it was thrown into the conversation as a reason for Nebraska to join the Big Ten.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: So no Nebraska? :lol:

What about Tulane?
In my perfect world, we would have Nebraska and Colorado. Of course, neither of them could compete with Mizzou in academics and athletics. I'm only keeping them for rivalry purposes.

I would want Mizzou to go independent before Tulane ever came on board. Of course, in AllThingKC's perfect world, the Big 12 will be the dominating conference in every way.

Also, I want a pony.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Speaking as someone who didn't go to college, doesn't care about college sports, and has a difficult time understanding why people care so deeply about this nonsense, I have a hard time understanding why MU would be willing to throw away a rivalry that literally goes back to the Civil War. That's a proud tradition, and to me it is like tearing down a wonderful historic building. 6 years? 13 years? I don't understand the big difference. Admittedly, I haven't read a lot about the subject. From what I can tell based on how MU alums and fans have been chatting about it online, this SEC talk primarily serves to make them feel superior to their KS rivals.

Personally, I have zero interest in what plays out other than I would be sad to see the tournament go.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote: Define "stable."
1. Turn the 6-year deal into at least a 13-year deal.

2. Turn the LHN into the Big 12 Network.

3. Get to 12 quality schools.

(If that's too many things, then I'd settle for only #1.)
1. And, in 6 years, what's going to happen? Texas leaves and Mizzou is forced to join the Mountain West? As long as there are BCS conferences, Mizzou will be in one of them. Jumping to the SEC pretty much makes your chances of a Big Ten invite 0%.

2. The SEC doesn't have a network. What's the diff?

3. What schools would you like to add?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Maybe it's because I'm a non-AAU university alumnus but had anyone ever even heard of the AAU before this conference realignment stuff? Maybe I'm just some backwoods hick but I had no idea it existed until it was thrown into the conversation as a reason for Nebraska to join the Big Ten.
I had never heard of it and I went to two AAU schools. < / letmebragforaminute >

Like I said before, I think all of this is a red herring and Mizzou just wants to be loved and desired. They have been making overtures about leaving for 20 years now. It has nothing to do with Texas, AAU, travel, or even money. They want to be wooed and if isn't going to be the Big Ten, well the SEC is the next best thing. They've had an inferiority complex in this league forever and to them, this is validation. WE HAVE MADE IT.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 1. And, in 6 years, what's going to happen? Texas leaves and Mizzou is forced to join the Mountain West? As long as there are BCS conferences, Mizzou will be in one of them. Jumping to the SEC pretty much makes your chances of a Big Ten invite 0%.

1. I admire your faith that Mizzou would be in a BCS conference no matter what, but I'm not so sure I'd want to take that risk.

2. The SEC is working on a Network that could start next year. They are closer to a network than the Big 12.

3. Already discussed above.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Every Mizzou fan I know in real life is against the move.
You need to get out more and widen your social circle. The ones I know fall into one of three catagories.
Stay in Big 12
Move to SEC
Doesn't really matter - likes where the the school is now but also would accept a change of scenery.
I'm with Chuck and I get out plenty. All of my friends are against the move but obviously will accept it.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 1. And, in 6 years, what's going to happen? Texas leaves and Mizzou is forced to join the Mountain West? As long as there are BCS conferences, Mizzou will be in one of them. Jumping to the SEC pretty much makes your chances of a Big Ten invite 0%.

1. I admire your faith that Mizzou would be in a BCS conference no matter what, but I'm not so sure I'd want to take that risk.

2. The SEC is working on a Network that could start next year. They are closer to a network than the Big 12.

3. Already discussed above.
1. The only way Mizzou doesn't get picked up is if the Pac 16 expands to destroy the Big 12 and NO OTHER BCS conference expands. The likeliness of that is very very low. Of the teams on the market from the Big 12 and Big East at that point, Mizzou is the clear cream of the crop.

2. The Big Ten Network is Tier 2. A Tier 3 Network would suck. ESPN bet big on a Longhorn Network because they thought they could charge high carriage costs in a state of 25 million thinking those people would demand it from the cable providers. Thus far, those people have not demanded it because Texas (and SEC BTW) fans only care about football and the only football on there is blowouts. Until ESPN proves that a tier 3 network can work, who is going to put a lot of money into it?

3. Nebraska and Colorado are not options. Who do you want in the real world?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 1. The only way Mizzou doesn't get picked up is if the Pac 16 expands to destroy the Big 12 and NO OTHER BCS conference expands. The likeliness of that is very very low. Of the teams on the market from the Big 12 and Big East at that point, Mizzou is the clear cream of the crop.

2. The Big Ten Network is Tier 2. A Tier 3 Network would suck. ESPN bet big on a Longhorn Network because they thought they could charge high carriage costs in a state of 25 million thinking those people would demand it from the cable providers. Thus far, those people have not demanded it because Texas (and SEC BTW) fans only care about football and the only football on there is blowouts. Until ESPN proves that a tier 3 network can work, who is going to put a lot of money into it?

1. I hope you're right. I don't see it like that. I think Mizzou runs a higher risk of being left of a BCS conference in 6 years than right now. I might be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I'm just used to being "Mizzou'd."

2. ESPN still has an invested interest in making the LHN a success. Even without a lot of sponsors, ESPN will be doing all they can to make sure it doesn't fail.

3. Again, it has already been discussed above.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 1. The only way Mizzou doesn't get picked up is if the Pac 16 expands to destroy the Big 12 and NO OTHER BCS conference expands. The likeliness of that is very very low. Of the teams on the market from the Big 12 and Big East at that point, Mizzou is the clear cream of the crop.

1. I hope you're right. I don't see it like that. I think Mizzou runs a higher risk of being left of a BCS conference in 6 years than right now. I might be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I'm just used to being "Mizzou'd."

2. ESPN still has an invested interest in making the LHN a success. Even without a lot of sponsors, ESPN will be doing all they can to make sure it doesn't fail.

3. Again, it has already been discussed above.
1. And wallowing at the bottom of the SEC for the foreseeable future isn't getting Mizzou'd? Getting away from a big bully just to get bullied into the SEC East by another bully isn't getting Mizzou'd? Making a decision that is bad for the students, student-athletes, alumni, and taxpayers isn't getting Mizzou'd? Hmm...you Mizzou yourself now so that you don't maybe possibly if all hell breaks loose Mizzou yourself in 6 years (but 13 years is fine). Yep, sounds about right.

2. And, if it fails? What are the chances the SEC gets a lucrative tier 3 network going? And, if ESPN has an invested interest in the LHN, why would they let the Big 12 take over?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 1. And wallowing at the bottom of the SEC for the foreseeable future isn't getting Mizzou'd? Getting away from a big bully just to get bullied into the SEC East by another bully isn't getting Mizzou'd? Making a decision that is bad for the students, student-athletes, alumni, and taxpayers isn't getting Mizzou'd? Hmm...you Mizzou yourself now so that you don't maybe possibly if all hell breaks loose Mizzou yourself in 6 years (but 13 years is fine). Yep, sounds about right.

2. And, if it fails? What are the chances the SEC gets a lucrative tier 3 network going? And, if ESPN has an invested interest in the LHN, why would they let the Big 12 take over?
1. Oh, I totally expect Mizzou to get Mizzou'd in the SEC. But, at least they'd be in the SEC. So, it's either getting Mizzou'd to the Mountain West or getting Mizzou'd in the SEC.

2. ESPN is not going to let the LHN become the Big 12, unless they some how get more money from it.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 1. And wallowing at the bottom of the SEC for the foreseeable future isn't getting Mizzou'd? Getting away from a big bully just to get bullied into the SEC East by another bully isn't getting Mizzou'd? Making a decision that is bad for the students, student-athletes, alumni, and taxpayers isn't getting Mizzou'd? Hmm...you Mizzou yourself now so that you don't maybe possibly if all hell breaks loose Mizzou yourself in 6 years (but 13 years is fine). Yep, sounds about right.

1. Oh, I totally expect Mizzou to get Mizzou'd in the SEC. But, at least they'd be in the SEC. So, it's either getting Mizzou'd to the Mountain West or getting Mizzou'd in the SEC.

2. ESPN is not going to let the LHN become the Big 12, unless they some how get more money from it.
1. Those are not the choices.

2. Exactly. So, why would ESPN or any other network do it for the SEC?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 1. Those are not the choices.

1. If the Big 12 becomes/stays stable, you are correct.

2. For the money, is there is money to be made.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

AllThingsKC wrote:

ESPN wouldn't want to renegotiate the SEC deal at all. Why do they want to create an SEC network which will just cost them more $$ at great risk?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:

1. Even if the Big 12 dies a fiery horrible death, those aren't the choices.

2. So far the answer to that question is no.
Last edited by TheBigChuckbowski on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

lock+load wrote: ESPN wouldn't want to renegotiate the SEC deal at all. Why do they want to create an SEC network which will just cost them more $$ at great risk?
If they see rating and dollars signs, they'll do it despite the risk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

AllThingsKC wrote:

No offense ATKC, but you're full of shit. There's no way you or any other MU fan seriously believes they'll end up in the Mountain West or will be left out of a BCS conference someday. Ain't gonna happen. The state has too big of a population and MU has too much of an upside and potential for success in many sports. I just think it's disingenuous for MU fans like yourself to talk about being worried about stability and MU being left out of a BCS conference in 6 years if the Big 12 were to be picked apart. Why not hold onto the rivalries and tradition and the tournament in KC for as long as possible? MU will have a safe landing spot regardless of what happens in future years. Hell, they might even end up in the B1G. I'm surprised more MU fans aren't thinking about that possibility.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

While I think it's possible Mizzou could end up in the Mountain West, I don't think they'd be there long before expansion talk re-started and were picked up by the Pac, Big 10, or whomever.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
lock+load wrote: ESPN wouldn't want to renegotiate the SEC deal at all. Why do they want to create an SEC network which will just cost them more $$ at great risk?
If they see rating and dollars signs, they'll do it despite the risk.
Tier 3 consists of the worst game of every team's schedule. Where are the ratings and dollar signs coming from? Part of ESPN's bet on the LHN was that they could bribe FSN for a game that would have been Tier 2 and they got it with the KU game. Are they going to bribe themselves? They own SEC's tier 2 rights. So, they're going to move a game off of ESPN/ESPN2 and put it on the local SEC network in order to, at best, neutralize the money for a deal that doesn't even exist?