Does any non-KU non-KSU fan want MU to stay in the Dead 12?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Does any non-KU non-KSU fan want MU to stay in the Dead

Post by phxcat »

KC-wildcat wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:Here's what I want, in order:

1. A stable Big 12, with 12 teams... preferably with the same teams we had June 30, 2011.
Define "stable."
Each school gets an equal number of unicorns that will be above one. I more unicorns are available than schools, the extras should go to the University of Missouri for distribution, MU getting at the least one more than any other school. In the off chance these demands are met, each school should be given an equal number of leprechauns and their associated pots of gold. No one pot should contain any more gold than any other pot. All pots will be weighed and any excess gold will be given to the University of Missouri for distribution. The bylaws of the conference should also include a provision for the possibility that a school leave at any point in the next 100 years, in which case all unicorns and leprechauns/ pots of gold will be returned to the University of Missouri for distribution, the exception being the University of Missouri, which will be allowed to leave the conference at any time without penalty, with a signed contract guaranteeing a continuation of the border war series as well as the basketball tournament remaining in Kansas City. If these conditions are met, that will be a stable conference. However, it will indicate an undercurrent of instability since OU and Texas will not be happy, presenting a chance of over .0001% that one or both may consider leaving, in which case it is out of Missouri's hands and all bets are off.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:People who think that something that would be worse for the students of the MU system, the student-athletes of MU, and the taxpayers of Missouri is a good idea are unreasonable.
Which is your opinion. If others come to a different conclusion that doesn't make them unreasonable.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:People who think that something that would be worse for the students of the MU system, the student-athletes of MU, and the taxpayers of Missouri is a good idea are unreasonable.
Which is your opinion. If others come to a different conclusion that doesn't make them unreasonable.
Give me a single argument why it's better for any of those groups. I haven't seen any. If there were other conclusions, surely I would have seen some by now. The only arguments I seem to see are MONEY MONEY MONEY (for the athletic department, less for the state) and Texas is a bully (but it's okay that Alabama is already bullying us cause they're new and did I mention money?).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

as an MU alum, i support a move to the SEC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote:as an MU alum, i support a move to the SEC.
You're the last person on this forum I would expect to support a move to the SEC.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Would you care to give us your reasons why you support a move?
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

KU guy but open-minded....would be very dissapointed if MU left....but getting tired of all this shit....LEAVE...Let's move on!!!!
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Nebraska native and fan, though not alum, would much prefer MU stay. Also, would have preferred Nebraska stay.

I understand why either would move, though think NU to Big 10 is a more reasonable move than MU to SEC in terms of culture fit and impact on major metro area within the state.

I hate Big 10 football and would much prefer to watch Iowa St.-Kansas than Purdue-Minnesota.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcmetro wrote:
You're the last person on this forum I would expect to support a move to the SEC.
i am not as knowledgeable of the ins and outs of this issue as many on this forum, but i support it for the following reasons:

(1) the big 12 is toast. as the omaha.com article that i posted stated, MU staying does not guarantee the future of the conference. if UT, or OU, or really anyone else, has the opportunity to leave for a high profile conference, they'll take it.

(2) i will miss the KU in-conference rivalry, but i think it's secondary at this point given my point in (1). as a friend of mine put it, staying for the rivalry is like holding hands on the deck of the Titanic rather than jockeying for the last remaining seat on the lifeboat.

(3) the money, assuming it's there, will be nice. for me, this is a perk, not a deal-sealer.

(4) change of scenery. while i understand that Tiger Nation isn't exactly known for traveling well, i hope that a move could liven up the urge to travel a bit, even if many of the schools are a day's drive away. all things being equal, i would personally be much more likely to travel to oxford, nashville, gainesville etc. than, say, waco or norman or ames. the SEC schools are positioned in or near places where someone could conceivably plan a vacation around - not the case in big 12 towns except maybe austin.

not a slam dunk by any means, but i will certainly not be terribly disappointed if MU has the opportunity to move to the SEC and takes it.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I understand your take on everything except believing the Big 12 is toast. It looks like we will be adding Louisville and possibly West Virginia and BYU. It would make for a very good athletic conference. I don't see UT or OU leaving anytime soon either, unless of course the SEC or PAC 12 were to want to get to 16 teams a piece. I just don't see that happening. UT and OU have it too good right now to want to bolt I think. It's a great geographic fit for both of them that they don't have to travel outside the central time zone (with the current teams).

Traveling to Nashville and Oxford would surely be better than Ames or Waco or Lubbock, but do you really think MU fans will suddenly start traveling for these games in mass? I could see it happening the first couple years, but eventually the newness of the SEC would wear off. But I do see your point if you would be willing to travel to those places.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote:
kcmetro wrote:
(4) change of scenery. while i understand that Tiger Nation isn't exactly known for traveling well, i hope that a move could liven up the urge to travel a bit, even if many of the schools are a day's drive away. all things being equal, i would personally be much more likely to travel to oxford, nashville, gainesville etc. than, say, waco or norman or ames. the SEC schools are positioned in or near places where someone could conceivably plan a vacation around - not the case in big 12 towns except maybe austin.
Point taken about Big XII locales but here's a story from a friend of mine who attended U of Alabama for grad school. While looking for a house or apt in Tuscaloosa (before tornado), she inquired with a local about where the nicer part of town was. The response: "Honey, there ain't no nice part of town". That's kind of how I feel about most SEC college towns. REM managed to help make Athens a much smaller version of Austin, known for a thriving music scene, but Athens is a few miles from a major metro area. I guess if you are a beach person, it makes sense if you wanted a holiday along with a game, but if that was part of criteria, I'd rather be pushing for the Pac 10 or Mountain West. Life's a mountain, not a beach.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote:I understand your take on everything except believing the Big 12 is toast. It looks like we will be adding Louisville and possibly West Virginia and BYU. It would make for a very good athletic conference. I don't see UT or OU leaving anytime soon either, unless of course the SEC or PAC 12 were to want to get to 16 teams a piece. I just don't see that happening. UT and OU have it too good right now to want to bolt I think. It's a great geographic fit for both of them that they don't have to travel outside the central time zone (with the current teams).

Traveling to Nashville and Oxford would surely be better than Ames or Waco or Lubbock, but do you really think MU fans will suddenly start traveling for these games in mass? I could see it happening the first couple years, but eventually the newness of the SEC would wear off. But I do see your point if you would be willing to travel to those places.
My thoughts exactly. I'd like to see Missouri stay AND add BYU and WVU. I'd be much more interested in playing them than any SEC team. And travelling to Oxford? ....we're talking Mississippi, not England. At least travelling to Waco would take you through Dallas and Ames would bring you through Des Moines, a very nice city.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Highlander wrote:
I guess if you are a beach person, it makes sense if you wanted a holiday along with a game, but if that was part of criteria, I'd rather be pushing for the Pac 10 or Mountain West. Life's a mountain, not a beach.
i agree - i'd prefer pac 10 or mountain west too for that reason. the big 12 is probably the least appealing major conference on this metric, so any move would be a step up.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Listen, I initially understood why Nub and CU wanted to leave the conference. There was clearly a disconnect internally within the Big XII, and UT was wielding too much influence.

When A&M wanted to leave, I understood their position as well. The Longhorn network was just another nail in the coffin with A&M, and UT was almost assuredly going to bait and switch everyone.

However, UT understands now that they need the other members of this conference. They have made concessions on equal revenue sharing for 1st and 2nd tier rights. Also, they have made concessions to only show 1 football game (2 if agreed upon) and not show high school highlights.

If the issue is with the granting of rights by institutions past the current television contracts, then that is a warranted concern. However, I think its clear that the Big XII is in a stable position to strengthen itself for the future.

I'm not going to rail on Mizzou for exploring their options, but man. This whole situation exemplifies the University of Missouri and their ineptness to handle critical matters. It always seems like Mizzou gets itself into embarrassing situations. As a KU student, I bid them farewell and good luck. In all honesty.

But please for the love of god replace Brady Deaton and Mike Alden. They remind of nice guys that always get shat on. No leadership abilities at all, makes Mizzou look vulnerable and honestly as a UMKC undergrad alum, I'm a little ashamed that UM-Columbia have leaders that sound like they're intimidated on every press conference they hold.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Oh, one more thing. It's the SEC, not the Big 10. I just don't get it. It's a whole different ball game down in the south.

The only losers in this game are the people of Kansas City.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

skim82 wrote:However, UT understands now that they need the other members of this conference. They have made concessions on equal revenue sharing for 1st and 2nd tier rights. Also, they have made concessions to only show 1 football game (2 if agreed upon) and not show high school highlights.
Six years, though. I really do believe that's a huge sticking point. Certainly, for Nebraska last year, the unwillingness of all members to willingly commit to a long-term agreement was a major issue. Understandable but regrettable.

I'm actually surprised Texas is only willing to give 6 years.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AJoD wrote:
skim82 wrote:However, UT understands now that they need the other members of this conference. They have made concessions on equal revenue sharing for 1st and 2nd tier rights. Also, they have made concessions to only show 1 football game (2 if agreed upon) and not show high school highlights.
Six years, though. I really do believe that's a huge sticking point. Certainly, for Nebraska last year, the unwillingness of all members to willingly commit to a long-term agreement was a major issue. Understandable but regrettable.

I'm actually surprised Texas is only willing to give 6 years.
I think the reason for the six years is so that we will know what kind of tier I deal we get. If our Tier I is similar to the other Tier I deals, and to the increase in tier II, which it should be, then everyone signs on long term. If, for some reason, tier I is significantly less, then there may be issues- but that is extremely unlikely, and if that were to happen, it would be because the bubble had burst and there would be nowhere to go for increased tier I deals anyway.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Right, but that's sort of the point, no? If you're waiting to see what kind of Tier I deal you get, you're really not committed to the idea of the conference. That's something the Big 10, the SEC, the Pac-?, and the ACC all have...it seems like the Big 12 should have that, should have had that, but for whatever reason, that hasn't been the case.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

chrizow wrote:
kcmetro wrote:
i am not as knowledgeable of the ins and outs of this issue as many on this forum, but i support it for the following reasons:

(1) the big 12 is toast. as the omaha.com article that i posted stated, MU staying does not guarantee the future of the conference. if UT, or OU, or really anyone else, has the opportunity to leave for a high profile conference, they'll take it.

(2) i will miss the KU in-conference rivalry, but i think it's secondary at this point given my point in (1). as a friend of mine put it, staying for the rivalry is like holding hands on the deck of the Titanic rather than jockeying for the last remaining seat on the lifeboat.

(3) the money, assuming it's there, will be nice. for me, this is a perk, not a deal-sealer.

not a slam dunk by any means, but i will certainly not be terribly disappointed if MU has the opportunity to move to the SEC and takes it.
1. The Big XII is not toast. And I would be weary of passing any judgement of this conference based on a slanted opinion piece by a Nebraska writer with an agenda to validate the Huskers' move to the Big 10.

2. College football IS FUNDAMENTALLY ABOUT the traditional rivalries.

3. The financial windfall in the SEC is to be seen.

4. Better hope you have those frequent flyer miles stocked up. The days of loading up the minivan and making a day trip are gone. These cities in the SEC East are a long way away and expensive to travel to. This idea that MU fans are suddenly going to start travelling in numbers to away games that are on a average twice as far away as those locations in the Big XII because of a change of scenery is wishful at best.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

AJoD wrote:Right, but that's sort of the point, no? If you're waiting to see what kind of Tier I deal you get, you're really not committed to the idea of the conference. That's something the Big 10, the SEC, the Pac-?, and the ACC all have...it seems like the Big 12 should have that, should have had that, but for whatever reason, that hasn't been the case.
Precisely. I don't understand how anyone can find fault with a school that is tempted to find a more stable home.