2011 MLB Post Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2011 MLB Post Season

Post by chingon »

I can't believe you douchebags have forced me to root for Texans.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

That piece of information always leads out of towers to believe StL receives biased treatment in terms I'd sports town rankings. When, in fact, those rankings (if memory serves) began in the early to m
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

...mid 90's. Guess what? StL was not the inagiral "best sports town". Nor was it the top ranked for the first several years. Not until 2000 or so when the Blues won the presidents trophy. The cards won the central and the rams were going to super bowls did StL make it to number one on their list.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Obtw, here is this years list. StL is ranked 27.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story ... m-1-to-271
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote:I can't believe you douchebags have forced me to root for Texans.
:lol:

wtf?!

don't worry about the cardinals if it's going to keep you up at night.

cardinals fans are by far the most mild of the fans of successful ball clubs. you're being a baby! :-|
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Ya, we are only 27th best. VERY MILD. LOL
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I mean as far as doing nasty stuff Phillies/Bosox fans do. I should have been more specific, but I was in a hurry.

Hey, Chingon, we don't make widgets anymore on the east side of the state, so we make baseball dreams come true. Don't be a such a H8r.
I can't believe you considered rooting for the Cardinals in the first place...kind of dissapointed. [-X :)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

On ESPN radio, Dan Schulman quipped that the Rangers have "never played in the state of Missouri." A few minutes later, I'm sure at the prompting of his producer he corrected himself, "the Royals play in Missouri."

Then there was this graphic last night.

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It's a cover story on Yahoo, maybe people will finally start to realize the larger KC is in Missouri
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... lb-wp25008
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote:I mean as far as doing nasty stuff Phillies/Bosox fans do. I should have been more specific, but I was in a hurry.

Hey, Chingon, we don't make widgets anymore on the east side of the state, so we make baseball dreams come true. Don't be a such a H8r.
I can't believe you considered rooting for the Cardinals in the first place...kind of dissapointed. [-X :)
I am a confessed Cards hater. I beleive I've been pretty up front about that. I really despise that ball club and the culture of its fanbase. I understand that you can't help but take it personally, but its true.

With regards to your second point, I find myself in an interesting quandry: If I don't have a dog in the race, I usually root for the teams based on where they're from. Now, I love StL the place, but my hatred for the Cardinals simply trumps that love (as hate always does). And though I hate Texas the place so much that it makes me hate teams I would otherwise not care about -- like the Rangers, Astros, and the Chiefs when they had that fucking Texas map on their helmets -- the loathing I feel for the Cards and their fans is just too strong, and I was forced to scream with triumph and delight last night like I haven't done since game 7 of 2001, when I was in a similar quandry (Love NYC/hate the Yankees, hate Phoenix/don't car about the D-Bags). It was, I'll admit, more fun to watch Rivera blow that save than Mott. On that I'm sure you'll agree.

And if it's any consolation, if a Yanks/Cards series occurs in my lifetime, I'll proudly rock an StL fitty.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

LOL. GO CARDS
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote:
warwickland wrote:I mean as far as doing nasty stuff Phillies/Bosox fans do. I should have been more specific, but I was in a hurry.

I am a confessed Cards hater. I beleive I've been pretty up front about that. I really despise that ball club and the culture of its fanbase. I understand that you can't help but take it personally, but its true.

With regards to your second point, I find myself in an interesting quandry: If I don't have a dog in the race, I usually root for the teams based on where they're from. Now, I love StL the place, but my hatred for the Cardinals simply trumps that love (as hate always does). And though I hate Texas the place so much that it makes me hate teams I would otherwise not care about -- like the Rangers, Astros, and the Chiefs when they had that fucking Texas map on their helmets -- the loathing I feel for the Cards and their fans is just too strong, and I was forced to scream with triumph and delight last night like I haven't done since game 7 of 2001, when I was in a similar quandry (Love NYC/hate the Yankees, hate Phoenix/don't car about the D-Bags). It was, I'll admit, more fun to watch Rivera blow that save than Mott. On that I'm sure you'll agree.

And if it's any consolation, if a Yanks/Cards series occurs in my lifetime, I'll proudly rock an StL fitty.
Well, I sensed your feelings, but appreciate your honesty. I am also admittedly so indoctrinated and bred into feeling that the Cardinals are the men on the white horse that I'm a little confused [and deep down maybe even a little hurt] when people really hate the team. To me it is the greatest sports team ever to root for, and I'm not even close to being a jock. Certainly part of it is because I can high five someone from O'Fallon or Chesterfield or Rolla and for a moment this creaky old city feels like it's rocking.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

This should be hung in every southside StL bar that has a picture of the Denkinger call. I'm going to see to it that it gets accidentally stuck on the wall at Waldo Pizza:

Last edited by chingon on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

chingon wrote:This should be hung in every southside StL bar that has a picture of the Denkinger call. I'm going to see to it that it gets accidentally stuck on the wall at Waldo Pizza:

Hang it right next to the pennant that says "StL Cardinals: 1985 World Series Champions". :lol:

Really, folks. It's no big deal anymore. Royals were the better team that October. It's over. Royals won, Cards lost...and have victoriously moved on! The Royals - well - they decided to hand the keys to leadership that would rather his legacy to be a fiscal tightwad than a facilitator towards building a championship franchise. Which is a shame, because Royals fans deserve so much better for their years of loyalty during nearly 2 1/2 butt ugly decades.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

brewcrew1000 wrote:It's a cover story on Yahoo, maybe people will finally start to realize the larger KC is in Missouri
KC is definitely a "Kansas" City. The "signs" are everywhere. If the local media aren't headlining KU and KSU sports stories, they are moving their offices and studios to the Kansas side.

KC sold out to KU long ago. ESPN Classic even had a show called "KC's Greatest Sports Moments" which included KU's 1988 bkball championship. It's no wonder the national media, and everyone outside a 250 mile radius, think KCMO is in Kansas.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Ya, so.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

StL_Dan wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:It's a cover story on Yahoo, maybe people will finally start to realize the larger KC is in Missouri
KC is definitely a "Kansas" City.
Yeah, so? I agree, but, I mean, what in the fuck does that have to do with the MLB portseason?

Do you have any conception what people outside of a 250 mile radius think of St Louis?
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Yes
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote:
Do you have any conception what people outside of a 250 mile radius think of St Louis?
I do. I've read the NYT articles. It's a small, baseball obsessed, hot and dirty old midwestern city with minor french and southern inflections.