2011 MLB Post Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2011 MLB Post Season

Post by StL_Dan »

Awesome
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Shaping up to be the greatest series I can remember since maybe 1991 (2001 was a really good series, but ugh, the Yankees).

Still don't get why TLR brought in a pitcher just to issue an IBB? WTF? He's a great manager and all but he does some really puzzling things at times. And what was Allen Craig thinking stealing in front of Pujols? Or was it Pujols putting on the hit and run? Either way a stupid decision.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote:
chingon wrote:
Do you have any conception what people outside of a 250 mile radius think of St Louis?
I do. I've read the NYT articles. It's a small, baseball obsessed, hot and dirty old midwestern city with minor french and southern inflections.
Most people in America couldn't name the 2 teams in the World Series. Its great StL is getting some more evenhanded press, and the Cardinals are certainly good for the city, but for every NYT article about StL's baseball tradition, I can show you 4 from Late February, March and April about census results, depopulation, the rust belt, and the dying American middle-west.

The idea that people confusing KC for a city in Kansas is an indictment of KC or Kansas is absurd. Its an indictment of the maker of the comments, point blank. "A city in Missouri" is every bit as perjorative for the majority of Americans as a "Kansas city". [cue GRID diatribe]. Both cities have what might be called "image problems", though the images in question might be significantly different, those inaccuracies aren't the fault of Kansas City KU fans anymore than they are the fault of Cards fans in St Louis for allowing a fake country singer to twang out the national anthem on national TV.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

warwickland wrote:
chingon wrote:
Do you have any conception what people outside of a 250 mile radius think of St Louis?
I do. I've read the NYT articles. It's a small, baseball obsessed, hot and dirty old midwestern city with minor french and southern inflections.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCMax wrote:
warwickland wrote:
chingon wrote:
Scrabble couldn't field the dp ball.....aaaaahhhhhhh
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Glad the game is rain postponed. Wash away the juju. I spent the morning in minor exploratory because of a glass sliver. Bleed it out. Bad stuff go away. Catch up on sleep. Detox. Bad stuff go away. Cool sunshine come on. Restart button.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Best game ever last night. It's the Cards game to lose now
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Man, I don't get the "best game ever" meme. Looked a lot like plain old bad baseball and questionable management from both teams.

Granted, it was dramatic -- in the most obvious way -- and I'm glad it forces a Game 7, because after tonight I pretty much just count the days till spring training. But I'm of the school of thought that finds the home run to basically be the most boring play in baseball. To me baseball is better when its a subtle sport, and last nights game was neither subtle nor particularly pretty.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Ya, sometimes teams win ugly. Key word is WIN
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chingon wrote:Man, I don't get the "best game ever" meme. Looked a lot like plain old bad baseball and questionable management from both teams.

Granted, it was dramatic -- in the most obvious way -- and I'm glad it forces a Game 7, because after tonight I pretty much just count the days till spring training. But I'm of the school of thought that finds the home run to basically be the most boring play in baseball. To me baseball is better when its a subtle sport, and last nights game was neither subtle nor particularly pretty.
Because what makes a game entertaining is drama, not necessarily crisp play. It was a flawed ugly game in a lot of ways, but man, what an ending.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Just the type of game that the MLB needed. These teams are really hard to like, so they need some excitement on the field to tout. relief pitching was pretty terrible last night. Exhibit A was a grooved fastball down the center of the plate with the 8 and 9 hitters coming up next (to end the game). Granted, Freese knew what to do with it and hit it to the toughest part of the park for a homer. I still don't know which team I am cheering for, but I hope something crazy happens in game 7. Baseball needs controversy. Probably half of the great moments in the game are based on controversy.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Hard to like? Lol. I'm not a rangers fan but who besides robin Ventura doesn't Nolan Ryan and his team? Who doesn't like puj
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

...Pujols, and the Freese story? Get real.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote: Because what makes a game entertaining is drama, not necessarily crisp play. It was a flawed ugly game in a lot of ways, but man, what an ending.
To me, baseball is MORE dramatic when it features crisp play, smart strategy, and clean executions. Its pauses, its tension, it lulls -- these are the things that create drama for me, not fireworks and flubs.

Best game of the postseason was NLDS game 5. Last night was little league.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Cards defense was definitely little league. Not their offense, though. They hit every pitcher wash trotted out there.

Gimme wins, crisp or not. I could care less what adjective you want to put in front of the big W.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

StL_Dan wrote:Hard to like? Lol. I'm not a rangers fan but who besides robin Ventura doesn't Nolan Ryan and his team?
I don't like that team. I like Ron Washington, and that's about it. I'm rooting for them basically because I'm rooting against the Cardinals fanbase, and a few people on the Cardinals team whom I think are really poor sportsmen, but I still love seeing Nolan Ryan puff and squirm and get redfaced, and everytime he high 5's W, I think how much fun it would be to hit him in the mouth.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

StL_Dan wrote:Cards defense was definitely little league. Not their offense, though. They hit every pitcher wash trotted out there.

Gimme wins, crisp or not. I could care less what adjective you want to put in front of the big W.
Sure. You are a Cards fan, though. I'm a fan of the game. The outcome is not what I thought sucked about last nights game. As I said, I think the best postseason game was a StL win against a team I think was probably the best in baseball the season.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chingon wrote:
KCMax wrote: Because what makes a game entertaining is drama, not necessarily crisp play. It was a flawed ugly game in a lot of ways, but man, what an ending.
To me, baseball is MORE dramatic when it features crisp play, smart strategy, and clean executions. Its pauses, its tension, it lulls -- these are the things that create drama for me, not fireworks and flubs.

Best game of the postseason was NLDS game 5. Last night was little league.
But when both teams are making the errors, then it kind of negates the flaws. The most important parts of the game might not have been the game saving hits but the little things like Holliday breaking up that doubleplay in the 4th, Andrus not going for Molina at 2nd in the 8th or the pop up bunt that went over Beltres head.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Non fans won't take note or enjoy those nuances.