2011 MLB Post Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

2011 MLB Post Season

Post by warwickland »

KCMax wrote:I like how Zack called the Cards out for being dicks. Don't ever change Zack!
It was just about Carp, really, he's on record as saying that he likes how the Cardinals play. Greinke needs to compose himself...sick of looking at his frown during the games. So now Greinke joins the ranks of certain players on the Reds and Brewers that feel a compulsion to get involved in these unnecessary mini-dramas...its so silly. It always happens when another team in the National League Central gets hot and they have to start puffing their chests out, name calling, twitter smack talking, trying to draw the cardinals into brawls, tapping people with bats, throwing chewing tobacco, fans throwing beer all over dugouts and cursing TLR, on and on...it's worse than Cubs vs Cardinals games with the Reds and Brewers and it often feel more like haters that just want to start BS than a real rivalry...that's all I'll say about that.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2011 MLB Post Season

Post by chingon »

I find it refreshing. Admittedly, I think the Cardinal's fanbase is a bunch of self-aggrandizing know-nothings, that Tony La Russa is a crybaby of the first order and that Chris Carpenter has the lamest theatrics of anyone on the mound today outside of Jesus Valverde, but I honestly don't think Greinke was participating in Morgan-style shit talking, or even Lance Berkman-style shit talking, but was merely saying the first honest thing that popped into his rain man mind.

He looked like shit on the mound, anyway, so one wonders why the "best fans in basebal [repeat ad infinitum]" who demand such "class" from their competition as a sign of respect for the Cardinals organization can't take a little criticism of their own ace's totally classless act.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Cardinals fans may be over rated, but you should see these Brewers, Cubs, and Reds fans sometimes. Not to mention the East Coast...Cardinals and Cardinals fans are constantly taking fire from all directions - getting ganged up on, and for stupid reasons, and I think the cardinals hold it together.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

warwickland wrote:Cardinals fans may be over rated, but you should see these Brewers, Cubs, and Reds fans sometimes. Not to mention the East Coast...Cardinals and Cardinals fans are constantly taking fire from all directions - getting ganged up on, and for stupid reasons, and I think the cardinals hold it together.
Cause they're the biggest whiners in the league.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCMax wrote:
warwickland wrote:Cardinals fans may be over rated, but you should see these Brewers, Cubs, and Reds fans sometimes. Not to mention the East Coast...Cardinals and Cardinals fans are constantly taking fire from all directions - getting ganged up on, and for stupid reasons, and I think the cardinals hold it together.
Cause they're the biggest whiners in the league.
Look, there's no doubt that the Cardinals have issues, all teams do. It's just that it seems awful hip amongst the Cardinals "rivals" to create controversy around the Cardinals. The Phillies bitched about every little thing, down to accusing the Cardinals of making clydesdales of shitting in front of their dugout. Wheres the bench clearing, twitter name calling, etc? Only the Reds and the Brewers have to create a full blown distraction.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Even Pujols is starting to act and whine like LaRussa.

LaRussa might be the greatest manager all all time because he really gets the most out of his team.

I am orginally from Milwaukee and I think antics like Morgan (T-Plush), Brian Wilson, Valverde or even a character like Grienke are good for baseball, that old time style St Louis plays is boring and makes them the enemy. Afterall, baseball is merely entertainment, why not make it fun.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

And so it is. I always got the feeling that Milwaukee could bounce back at any second...great offensive series.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

And it's interesting to note... that the Cardinals will have the home field in the World Series thanks to the NL's All-Star Game win. The MVP of that game?

Milwaukee's Prince Fielder...
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

This thread is hilarious. "Self aggrandizing"....Cards fans? LOL. Probably the worst, if not the most inaccurate description I've ever heard.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Ha. Must have cut a little too close to the bone.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Not at all. Which is why it's so funny. The first group of fans that come to mind with that description are Yankees and red sox.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

StL_Dan wrote:Not at all. Which is why it's so funny. The first group of fans that come to mind with that description are Yankees and red sox.
I have never heard Red Sox or Yankees fans collectively, constantly and delusionally refer to themselves as the "best fans in baseball".

I -- and I'm not alone in this -- feel like there's a pretty pervasive tendency for Cards fans to use the team as a proxy for their own insecurities about being a relevant "major" metropolitan area. And that that insecuriy lends itself to an obsessive fawning that embarasses everyone who witness it. Honestly, it's the kind of behavior you expect from denizens of true flyover places -- Green Bay, Kansas (KU), Texas -- and it makes St Louis (the city, not the ball club) seem all the more bush league to those who choose believe it is. I'm not one of them, but the Cardinals fanbase certainly strikes me as "trying too hard".

Funny you should mention those 2 teams though, since I would make the case that -- en masse -- those fanbases have the highest baseball IQs (though I'll say, the Cardinals fans are in the top 5 in terms of knowledge of game).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'm loving this MLB Post Season, and this thread. Fantastic to see the Phillies and Yankees knocked out in the first round. I have a major love-hate relationship with the Cards, having gone to MU and dating a StL girl forever.

To some degree, I find the fans to be spoiled and somewhat annoying, though very knowledgeable about the game ("best" fans - ha!). On the other hand, I have many great memories of autumn baseball and Budweisers watching the Cards in various chunks of central and southern MO, and I respect and enjoy the history of the team and grizzled old StL's love affair with MLB.

Re: whiny fans - I was in StL in early-mid August and everyone there and in the Post Dispatch was all "woe is me" our team is done, look to next year, we're SO pathetic, NOTHING has gone right, Tony has to go, blah blah sad sad sad and I just laughed. The cards weren't looking great, but they were still having an OK season and are always competitive. And here they are in the World Series. Fuck ya'll.

I had a great time cheering for the Cards over the Phillies, and then the Brewers over the Cards. Will probably head back to the Cards side over the Rangers, only to keep the Rangers from winning a WS, thus giving the Royals "one thing" (our one WS Championship) over them and the few other teams without a WS. Especially seeing as how the R's may very well never take another WS in my lifetime, gotta keep others that haven't done it out of the club, for now.

Wish Detroit could have made it all the way, but the Rangers are just a stacked team, so deep. I think the Cards will have a hard time with them.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:Not at all. Which is why it's so funny. The first group of fans that come to mind with that description are Yankees and red sox.
I have never heard Red Sox or Yankees fans collectively, constantly and delusionally refer to themselves as the "best fans in baseball".

I -- and I'm not alone in this -- feel like there's a pretty pervasive tendency for Cards fans to use the team as a proxy for their own insecurities about being a relevant "major" metropolitan area. And that that insecuriy lends itself to an obsessive fawning that embarasses everyone who witness it. Honestly, it's the kind of behavior you expect from denizens of true flyover places -- Green Bay, Kansas (KU), Texas -- and it makes St Louis (the city, not the ball club) seem all the more bush league to those who choose believe it is. I'm not one of them, but the Cardinals fanbase certainly strikes me as "trying too hard".

Funny you should mention those 2 teams though, since I would make the case that -- en masse -- those fanbases have the highest baseball IQs (though I'll say, the Cardinals fans are in the top 5 in terms of knowledge of game).
Man, I think you need to put the Cardinals into the perspective of eastern midwestern teams/fans and of course the east coast biased sports media and those sports fans... When the east coast media does acknowledge the Cardinals, sometimes that "best fans in baseball" line is brought up and thrown around by them in a kind of isn't that cute way...but my point is that sports writers from other cities are constantly perpetuating this...right or wrong.

In reference to the "obsessive fawning," Cardinals fans are absolutely not doing anything I havent seen in every other city that has a strong baseball [or potent pro sports culture], and generally they are amongst the most tolerable and enjoyable to be around during a game. Granted, i'm biased. :D Not to mention that by some accounts 60% of Cardinals fans arent even in St. Louis, and judging by what I saw when I lived in KC, a lot of them are there. Hell, when I was buying Pujols Packs, my recurring seat neighbors were often from places like Springfield, MO.
I'm going to turn on ESPN now and watch the infinite American League East teethnashing. See some Yankees highlights peppered with camera shots of Prince Fielder sitting in the dugout during the NLCS.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

It is certainly interesting to read a KC perspective on Cards fans. The whole "best fans in baseball" mantra isn't even our own. Whenever I hear it - and I never say it - it's from outside media. I've yet to hear local StL media brand the fans in that way, and I tune in to nearly every kmox broadcast as well as all national tv broadcasts.

Fwiw, the best baseball fan I know is a royals fan. A buddy I met working downtown many years ago. I'm a close second. ;-)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

StL_Dan wrote:It is certainly interesting to read a KC perspective on Cards fans. The whole "best fans in baseball" mantra isn't even our own. Whenever I hear it - and I never say it - it's from outside media. I've yet to hear local StL media brand the fans in that way, and I tune in to nearly every kmox broadcast as well as all national tv broadcasts.

Fwiw, the best baseball fan I know is a royals fan. A buddy I met working downtown many years ago. I'm a close second. ;-)
There are billboards on I-70 coming into St. Louis for FOX SPORTS ST. LOUIS touting the fans as "The Best Fans in Baseball."
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I haven't seen that sign on all the times I've driven home, nevertheless, FS Networks are a huge national syndicate. So, it doesnt surprise that they would piggyback what was started outside of StL and use it to impact their local ratings campaign. Funny thing is, cards fans will watch/listen to their redbirds en masse regardless silly national ad campaigns.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

[quote="StL_Dan"]The whole "best fans in baseball" mantra isn't even our own. Whenever I hear it - and I never say it - it's from outside media. I've yet to hear local StL media brand the fans in that way, [quote]

Shee-yit. Come on, man.

http://stlouis.sbnation.com/st-louis-ca ... als-closer

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/ma ... 0f31a.html

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 0f31a.html

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... f6878.html

http://videos.stltoday.com/p/video?id=2170343
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I guess the locals are beginning to believe and use what the national media first recognized.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The original label "Best Fans in Baseball" was given by The Sporting News, a national publication that is based in....you guessed it - St. Louis.