Ice Breaker College Hockey Tourney Oct 12-13 at Sprint

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Ice Breaker College Hockey Tourney Oct 12-13 at Sprint

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I hope this does well, i think this is also an ice breaker for KC Sports Commission in us landing a Frozen Four Hockey Tournament or Regional games for the Frozen Four.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/ ... -announced
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Ice Breaker College Hockey Tourney Oct 12-13 at Sprint

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't think the Ticket Sale are too good for this event. I can purchase Center ice like 6 rows up from the glass for 32 bucks a ticket. You can't even buy upper level tickets, so I think they are just closing that area out.

If we have a poor showing for this event, i don't see us landing a Frozen Four or Regional Session anytime soon. You would think the Omaha fans would be able to draw a large crowd, they are a pretty decent team.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I don't think the Ticket Sale are too good for this event. I can purchase Center ice like 6 rows up from the glass for 32 bucks a ticket. You can't even buy upper level tickets, so I think they are just closing that area out.

If we have a poor showing for this event, i don't see us landing a Frozen Four or Regional Session anytime soon. You would think the Omaha fans would be able to draw a large crowd, they are a pretty decent team.
$25 tickets appear to be sold out.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Expecting a college hockey tourney to fill Sprint Center isn't fair. How big is it? 17000 seats or so? Just a guess, but that would be tough to do anywhere with the exception of Boston or Minneapolis. I'll be there though, should be great hockey. I'd encourage everyone to go, even if you don't know anything about hockey.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I don't think the Ticket Sale are too good for this event. I can purchase Center ice like 6 rows up from the glass for 32 bucks a ticket. You can't even buy upper level tickets, so I think they are just closing that area out.

No, there just not selling them. Doesn't make sense that a 32 dollar ticket 6 rows from the glass is widely available but all the upper level tickets are sold out. I just don't think they are selling them up there and blocking off the upper level
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

droopy wrote:Expecting a college hockey tourney to fill Sprint Center isn't fair. How big is it? 17000 seats or so? Just a guess, but that would be tough to do anywhere with the exception of Boston or Minneapolis. I'll be there though, should be great hockey. I'd encourage everyone to go, even if you don't know anything about hockey.
This icebreaker tourney is kind of a new concept, we need to show off to the NCAA, the KC Sports comission is trying real hard to host a Frozen Four, i have emailed them about this and they have actually submitted bids for it, but if we have a piss poor showing of only 3000 fans they won't want us to host anything, i am hoping for 10k.

If cities like St Louis, Tampa, Milwaukee, Anaheim can sell out and host a Frozen Four I really think we have a shot at doing it. Some people make yearly trips to the frozen four regardless of the team each year.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:

No, there just not selling them. Doesn't make sense that a 32 dollar ticket 6 rows from the glass is widely available but all the upper level tickets are sold out. I just don't think they are selling them up there and blocking off the upper level
If they're selling every lower deck ticket for $32 (plus ticketmaster fees) a session then they deserve to have no one show up. There's no way an event like this can ask those prices when the closest team is from 3 hours away.

You can get $20 tickets in the lower deck for the NHL game the week before.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Its two games though, 2 days passes are only 40 bucks, so its like 10 bucks a game then. 32 is kind of high for early season hockey games. I could see if it was a NCAA tourney game, hell i think the CBA Classic is cheaper then this
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think if we can get 6000-7000 for this event, we have an excellent shot at hosting a frozen four. Average college hockey attendence is only 3500 for D1 mens hockey. When St Louis hosted this in 2010 they only had like 4000 each night at Scottrade Center, hope we can do better then that.

A frozen four would be huge, they always sell out
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Attendence isn't looking to great for this, they are hoping for a huge walkup
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/09/38 ... rying.html