2011 - 2012 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Basketball Season

Post by shaffe »

With Martin leaving how close is the new Big 12 to becoming the current Pac 12? WVU and ku are probably the only two hoops stalwarts that can be counted on going forward, unless KSU makes a real good hire.

I think in either fashion, the days (in the near future) of the Big 12 being discussed as the top hoops league in the land may be over.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote:Didn't Kruger burn all his bridges in Manhattan?
No idea. Just fantasizing.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shaffe wrote:With Martin leaving how close is the new Big 12 to becoming the current Pac 12? WVU and ku are probably the only two hoops stalwarts that can be counted on going forward, unless KSU makes a real good hire.

I think in either fashion, the days (in the near future) of the Big 12 being discussed as the top hoops league in the land may be over.
Texas has had a pretty decent program for over a decade. Iowa State looks to be in good hands. And Baylor has made the Elite Eight in two of the last three seasons.

Its not like this league was propped up in basketball the last twenty years by Colorado, Nebraska, A&M, Mizzou and Frank Martin
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

shaffe wrote:
Wishful thinking.

In addition to having one of the true big 5 teams, K-State and WVU are long-term solid programs, regardless of short-term coaching changes, much like Missouri always has been. They'll have down years and up years, but they're both solid programs and more or less always have been. Also, look for a resurgent Texas, continued presence by Baylor and some tournament teams out of the state of Oklahoma in the next 5 years.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Top jokes of the day:

"The Big 12 will be much better now that all the whiners are gone" - Frank Martin on Mizzou moving to the SEC.

What's better than coaching a winning team at Kansas State? Coaching a losing team in the SEC.

What are the odds that two different conferences would have the same two coaches named Frank in back-to-back years? Frankly, I think the chances are small.

This just proves what I've said my whole life: Columbia > Manhattan. (I never said which Columbia.)

Frank Martin was on I-70 driving from Denver to Manhattan. He saw a sign that said, "Manhattan Left," so he kept driving to South Carolina.

Another Mizzou Final Four.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This Frank Martin nonsense is just a manufactured attempt by K-State to steal KU's thunder after a great win. Unbelievable!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Who will you be rooting for next weekend, Max? You're an OSU grad, correct?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcmetro wrote:Who will you be rooting for next weekend, Max? You're an OSU grad, correct?
I am. I'll totally be rooting for Louisville.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Bruce Pearl is the early name being mentioned as a replacement for Martin at KSU because of his ties to Currie at Tennessee, but it doesn't make sense since Pearl is under "show-cause" til 2014.

Kevin Harlan mentioned former KU assistant Tim Jankovich, who has had some success at Illinois State.

Longshot candidates - Tad Boyle, Colorado; Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt - both have KU ties

And why not Bruce Webber? He's been to the Finals. Would he take a job at KSU?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCMax wrote:Bruce Pearl is the early name being mentioned as a replacement for Martin at KSU because of his ties to Currie at Tennessee, but it doesn't make sense since Pearl is under "show-cause" til 2014.

Kevin Harlan mentioned former KU assistant Tim Jankovich, who has had some success at Illinois State.

Longshot candidates - Tad Boyle, Colorado; Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt - both have KU ties

And why not Bruce Webber? He's been to the Finals. Would he take a job at KSU?
I think Bruce Pearl is the only candidate that makes Currie something other than a complete moron. His micro managing and NCAA code strictness could have been two birds with one stone. Piss off Frank so he leaves. Show the NCAA that Pearl will be under strict supervision at K-State.

If Currie did this without a slam dunk candidate pretty much already signed, he should be fired immediately.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

6 years, just under $2 mill a year for Martin. And they had the gall at the presser to mention how Frank Martin is a man of "loyalty."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

They discovered the Jamar Samuels pay-off from a receipt found on a grocery store floor????? Wha?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:6 years, just under $2 mill a year for Martin. And they had the gall at the presser to mention how Frank Martin is a man of "loyalty."
I'm not saying the whole "loyalty" thing isn't probably overblown, but Currie didn't offer an extension or any sort of raise to Martin at all, as far as anyone knows. The "other school rumor" thing is a well established tactic in the NCAA to test an AD and school to see how much they are willing to by "loyal" in return. It turns out that SC was "loyal" enough to give him more years and move him up from around 24th in salary to around 11th. Now, KSU is a better program and is the reason he even got a shot in the first place, but I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't even make a tiny attempt at an overture to keep Martin around. Total AD fail in my mind at the present, but Currie could have the last laugh if he hits a home run and Martin is canned at the end of his contract for poor performance. Though, it is hard to get laughed at when you are sitting on $12 million. Shocking, though. I never expected either side would act in the way they did.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Good points.

Maybe KSU lands Matt Painter?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:Good points.

Maybe KSU lands Matt Painter?
Maybe I'm just missing the point, but I feel like Currie wants someone he can control, so I doubt he will bring in someone that will require a higher salary than Martin. It will also be interesting to try to understand the justification of letting Frank go if they end up paying someone equivalent money to his new deal. This basically leaves a pool of mid-major coaches and assistants that can be paid around $1 million and are willing to accept a shorter term contract. If they do pay someone $1.5+ or in that ballpark and offer 5 years or more, there is really zero justification for the way Martin was handled other than Currie failed at keeping his second most important employee happy, perhaps the most important from a long-term talent development standpoint.

Painter makes $1.3, so it would probably take a Frank Martin USC contract to land him, considering it is a lateral move with no known hatred for the AD. I would be all over Josh Pastner if I were KSU with almost anything he wants.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yea, I was just trying to needle Mizzou fans. ;)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

bobbyhawks wrote: but Currie didn't offer an extension or any sort of raise to Martin at all, as far as anyone knows.
Could be K-State didn't have a chance. From the Star:
Martin had been linked to other coaching vacancies, including DePaul, Oregon, UNLV and Miami, but signed a new contract with K-State in 2010. The deal was set to run through 2015 and pay him an average of $1.55 million per year after signing bonuses, but before performance-based bonuses.

By finishing tied for third in the Big 12 standings in 2010-11, Martin triggered a renegotiation clause, which was set to begin on Sunday. Had he chosen to begin talks on a new contract with Currie and not reached a new deal by June 1, his buyout to leave K-State would have dropped from $1 million to $500,000.

But Martin decided to pass on that negotiation window. Instead, he appears ready to start over at South Carolina

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/26/35 ... rylink=cpy

plus

Martin said he didn’t think Samuels did anything wrong and also said he played no part in the decision-making process.

The situation upset Martin. He was so upset, the source close to Martin said, that he was ready to listen to South Carolina’s offer.

“Frank is just looking to be happy,” the source said. “He wants to work at a place where he has the full support of his athletic director and president. He wants to be left alone so he can do what he does best — coach.”

Martin, apparently, felt he could no longer do that at K-State.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Martin talking loyalty is a joke. Can't even face players in person and tell them?

He is going to rot in sc behind baseball and wbb. Quite a move and shows he had no options.

Appreciate his time at ksu but time to move to bigger and better
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Maybe KSU wanted a coach that could keep his cool in the last two minutes of a game where some play running is needed instead of just screaming your head off.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

After the trouble Pearl had at Tennessee he seems kinda shady and only a matter of time before K-State would end up on probabtion of some sort. Then again I ended up turning into a Frank Martin supporter after initially thinking he'd end up getting the program on probation.