2011 - 2012 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Basketball Season

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Highlander wrote:
phxcat wrote:
Highlander wrote: Missouri, like you say, loses a lot of talent but has a lot coming in. It will be interesting to see how it comes together. K-State should bethe best positioned out of the three, but how many players will leave? How will Webber coach them? Highlander, do you have any thoughts on Webber?
I thought Weber was a pretty safe pick without huge upside (of course Haith did not even look like a safe pick and the results so far have been pretty good). He didn't really shine in a state that puts out tons of good players but he does put together solid well balanced teams that should do at least as well as most of Martin's teams. How well he can recruit to Manhattan will obviously be an issue. I really do not know how well situated KSU is for next year. I suspect McGruder will be a preseason all big XII player but losing Samuels will hurt and Spradling needs to shoot better than in the low 30's percentile from behind the arc to play the role he does. Plus, didn't Martin's top recruit bolt? Is Weber having anyone follow him to KSU?

I would not trust anything a player says a few minutes after losing in the championship game of the NCAA tourney. Consequently, I put little stock in Withey saying he'll be back. I don't think he's ever going to be an offensive juggernaut, his value is defense and his stock as a defensive player is high right now. KU may not make it far into the tourney next year and he may not get this kind of exposure again. He'll rethink the statements he made if there is a clear first round projection.
I'm starting to warm up to Weber, but it sounds like he is pretty dependent on the three ball. Although we have a lot of guys who can hit, none have been too consistent to this point. From reports that Semi Ojeyle's mother didn't like Martin, I would hope that Weber can get back into his home, and I have read some stuff about recruiting in Illinois that made it difficult to do it ethically, so it may actually be a little bit easier for him to recruit to K-State because he doesn't have to deal with those issues. I do hope he can bring in some recruiters. The red flags I hae read are that he is not very felexible, and if he doesn't have the players to fit his system, he just keeps plowing.

With Withey, there are a lot of guys who say they are staying when the emotion from the tourney is still warm, but then change their minds after thinking about it, but I wonder if he had ever really considered going pro this year until late, and therefore I wonder how serious he would be right now. I agree with you that he could easily lose draft status (I think that, on defense, the NBA saw all they needed to see in the tournament) but I wonder if he is thinking that way. The same could have been said for Robinson last year, but this year he absolutely improved his position.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The two draft boards I have seen have Withey projected as a second round pick, which is not guaranteed money, so I can't imagine him leaving. If he develops a better offensive game next year, he could be a lottery pick.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:The two draft boards I have seen have Withey projected as a second round pick, which is not guaranteed money, so I can't imagine him leaving. If he develops a better offensive game next year, he could be a lottery pick.
I really don't think he needs to "improve" that much next season to climb the draft boards. If he just maintains what he has done for the last few months of the season, he has a shot at the lottery. I'm not sure what the one and dones are like, but Withey will lead the nation in attention per shot block next season with AD gone. He will also average close to a double-double with TRob not sucking up as many boards. So to me at least, he is in a very similar position to TRob last year, projected high first round, but could be a lottery pick if he stays. He is every ESPN guy's favorite white post player (during the game at least) and will be doted on all season. If he is worried that this season was a fluke and TRob was the only reason for his success, then I could see him leaving. Other than that, he could make a lot more by staying and is pretty much guaranteed the same position in the draft next year do to his size alone.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Thought this was interesting. Both local schools and Missouri made the list.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Minnesota? Northwestern? Northwestern I believe is the only BCS program to NEVER make the NCAA tournament. Their home arena seats 8000. How are they valuable?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

And UNLV and Wake Forest over Kentucky? No UCLA? Maybe this is based solely on product sales :?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Yeah, I don't know the methodology, and I could find the source article on the internet. I read the WSJ's summary.

But UCLA is on the list, by the by.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Forbes has a list, too, featuring the more conventional blue-blood programs (though Minnesota still makes the list). Kansas is 3. Texas is the only other B12 school on Forbes'.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/ ... ble-teams/

Not that any of it means anything much.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Are you looking for validation?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chingon wrote:Thought this was interesting. Both local schools and Missouri made the list.

Unpossible. National media wants to talk down the KSU job to be equal to a Kent State job. Middle of the map bigots.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

AllThingsKC wrote:Are you looking for validation?
For what?

I thought this was a thread about the 11-12 basketball season. Seems like franchise economics are part of that.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote:
chingon wrote:Thought this was interesting. Both local schools and Missouri made the list.

Unpossible. National media wants to talk down the KSU job to be equal to a Kent State job. Middle of the map bigots.
Would you clarify that?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Both local schools and Missouri. LOL

you never miss a dig do you?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

Would you clarify that?
Seems like schools in the bigger cities or very proximal to big cities have a big advantage when it comes to value. Otherwise, why would Minnesota, Maryland, Northwestern and UNLV be on that list and why would Louisville be #1. KSU and Mizzou are a bit of an outlier being one of the few programs on the list located in small college towns not all that proximal to large cities.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

shinatoo wrote:Both local schools and Missouri. LOL

Hahaha. Come on. I was just teasing.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chingon wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Both local schools and Missouri. LOL

Hahaha. Come on. I was just teasing.
I know. It was funny.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

‘Major’ Violations Reported at Baylor
The joy ride of the 2011-12 Baylor athletic season appears to have hit a speed bump. A report released Monday revealed violations in the university’s men’s and women’s basketball programs that the N.C.A.A. deemed “major.”

A nearly three-year investigation yielded a summary disposition, essentially the facts as agreed upon by the N.C.A.A. and Baylor, and ESPN.com obtained a copy Monday. The most significant of the violations appears to be more than 1,200 illegal phone calls by Baylor staff members.

Baylor’s punishment is expected to be announced by the N.C.A.A. this week, but it is not expected to be significantly different from the university’s self-imposed sanctions. According to the summary disposition, Baylor’s men’s program has docked itself two scholarships and prohibited Coach Scott Drew and an assistant, Jerome Tang, from making recruiting phone calls for two months.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... d/7809174/
"I don't have feelings most of the time. I just hate people without caring," adding that he was motivated by a strong dislike for the Syracuse basketball program because it beat his favorite team, Kansas, in the 2003 NCAA championship game.
Wow.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

longviewmo wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... d/7809174/
"I don't have feelings most of the time. I just hate people without caring," adding that he was motivated by a strong dislike for the Syracuse basketball program because it beat his favorite team, Kansas, in the 2003 NCAA championship game.
Wow.
:lol: