2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Post by KCMax »

Gary Pinkel voted OSU #4. Some think its a pissing match between Mizzou and the Big 12 and Pinkel is upset about getting a crummy bowl bid.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not even mad about no sugar bowl for ksu other than I'd rather travel there than dallas....everybody knows the system is a corrupt joke....no reason to even sweat it.
Unlike mu fans and leaders who still can't let go the orange bowl snub.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCMax wrote:Gary Pinkel voted OSU #4. Some think its a pissing match between Mizzou and the Big 12 and Pinkel is upset about getting a crummy bowl bid.
Probably a smart vote for Pinkel. I mean, it's a 2-way street. BigXII wasn't gonna help out MU and, in turn, Pinkel didn't help out the Big XII. no shocker there. It's also a vote of confidence for his new conference.

Cotton Bowl is a BCS bowl game minus the payout. That's how I look at it. Friday night stand-alone game on FOX matching BCS #6 and #8. There will be a capacity crowd of +90K.

I would imagine that TV ratings will be higher for the Cotton Bowl than the Orange Bowl. Ratings will probably be on par with the Sugar.

Hope the Cats perform well against an SEC opponent. Got my tix. gonna be fun.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm pretty sure Pinkel and the Big 12 knew in advance that they would try to screw over each other. You can't leave the conference then expect that same conference to represent you fairly. Likewise, I'm sure the Big 12 was fully expecting Mizzou to vote against Okie State.

At least Mizzou's bowl game is in SEC country. In a way, I think Mizzou tried to plan it that way.

As far as the Cotton Bowl, I wouldn't put it on the same level as the lame BCS games we got stuck with. But, it should be a great match up. I don't know who will win that game, but I'd give the edge to KSU.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah you are right. Cotton is a better game than a couple bcs games.

Sec should get a good view into how powerful the mu fanbase is when they see the independence bowl attendance.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

SEC already saw Mizzou's powerful attendance in the Cotton Bowl.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

KCPowercat wrote:Sec should get a good view into how powerful the mu fanbase is when they see the independence bowl attendance.
<puts on KCPowercat hat>
I saw thousands of empty seats at the ISU/ksu game last Saturday in Manhattan, KS. A possible conference championship and BCS bowl hanging in the balance, the last home football game for seniors, the final regular season game in one of the school's proudest seasons--all that, and the powerful ksu fan base couldn't fill the small stadium there? Unacceptable.
<takes off KCPowercat hat>
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Totally agree. Lots of people with sold ticket didn't show up...especially student.

Its okay though because you said earlier weather is an acceptable reason...or is that just for games at arrowhead.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

KCPowercat wrote:Totally agree. Lots of people with sold ticket didn't show up...especially student.

Its okay though because you said earlier weather is an acceptable reason...or is that just for games at arrowhead.

Weather is an acceptable reason when the game is meaningless and the opponent is crappy, whether it's played on campus or hours away. Still, the crowd of MU fans at Arrowhead for the kansas game was almost as large as the crowd in Manhattan for one of kstate's biggest home games in a decade. From a wildcat player and booster perspective that would have to be very disheartening.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Definately biggest home game in a decade. You have your finger on the pulse of college football like few others.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MoMan wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Totally agree. Lots of people with sold ticket didn't show up...especially student.

Weather is an acceptable reason when the game is meaningless and the opponent is crappy, whether it's played on campus or hours away. Still, the crowd of MU fans at Arrowhead for the kansas game was almost as large as the crowd in Manhattan for one of kstate's biggest home games in a decade. From a wildcat player and booster perspective that would have to be very disheartening.
:lol:
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

A Mizzou fan saying anything about attendance makes me giggle.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The conversation was started when a KSU fan mentioned Mizzou's attendance. The obsession continues...

I didn't even notice KSU's lower attendance because I'm not obsessed with K-State the way some K-State fans are obsessed with Mizzou.

Mizzou beat Arkansas 38-7 in the Cotton Bowl. Maybe KSU will beat Arkansas by the exact same score so maybe those KSU fans can stop obsessing about Mizzou so much.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Incorrect. Max brought up pinkel voting as the beginning of this topic today.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

MAX IS OBSESSED WITH MIZZOU!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Can we get off the obsession talk....its a message board. different people will bring up different topics at random times. Enjoy the bowl trip mu fans. I know us ksu fans will enjoy ours.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

POWERCAT IS OBSESSED WITH OBSESSION TALK!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote:The reason Oklahoma State isn't playing for a National Championship is because...
From Bill Reiter, FoxSports.com
Still, let’s be clear and candid. If Oklahoma State were named “Ohio State,” “Michigan,” “USC,” “Florida” or “Oklahoma” it would be making travel plans for New Orleans
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AllThingsKC wrote:The conversation was started when a KSU fan mentioned Mizzou's attendance. The obsession continues...

I didn't even notice KSU's lower attendance because I'm not obsessed with K-State the way some K-State fans are obsessed with Mizzou.

Mizzou beat Arkansas 38-7 in the Cotton Bowl. Maybe KSU will beat Arkansas by the exact same score so maybe those KSU fans can stop obsessing about Mizzou so much.
Sorry, but a KSU win by that margin would be 10x the victory that MU had that year. That Arkansas team was in the top 25 by reputation alone and had zero interest in playing in that game. The two teams this year are both legit top 10. MU's 2007 team played a similar schedule to this year's KSU team, even though KSU had to navigate the Big 12 round robin, and Arkansas has 3 top 15 victories.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
As far as the Cotton Bowl, I wouldn't put it on the same level as the lame BCS games we got stuck with.
Why? You look at the following schedule and tell me the KSU v. Arkansas game doesn't belong. All of these bowl games feature top-10 matchups except for 2. Very interesting.

Fiesta Bowl (1/2/12) Stanford (4) v. O-State (3)
Rose Bowl (1/2/12) Wisconsin (10) v. Oregon (5)
Sugar Bowl (1/3/12) Michigan (13) v. Virginia Tech (11)
Orange Bowl (1/4/12) West Virginia (23) v. Clemson (15)
Cotton Bowl (1/6/12) K-State (8) v. Arkansas (6)
National Championship (1/9/12) Alabama (2) v. LSU (1)