2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Post by phxcat »

Highlander wrote:
kcmetro wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:Just wondering what people are thinking of this year's Bowl games so far?! Kind of quite in this thread.

Anyone see the Baylor/Washington game (Alamo Bowl)? 123 points scored and 1,700+ yards. Wow.

Mizzou's mascot broke the Independence Bowl trophy. So, Mizzou now has a trophy and a half for winning their Bowl game.

Oklahoma/Iowa in the Insight Bowl: The skycam falls to the field, narrowly missing 2 players. Play was suspended while they cleaned up the wires. I've never seen anything like that happen before.

Any other thoughts from anything else???
The only bowl game I've watched is the Baylor/Washington game. Glad I did too. I can't get into watching most of these games though, as they don't mean anything.
Agreed. Only one game actually means anything in the BCS system. I actually prefer the pre-BCS way of deciding the national championship. In that system, there was a at least a reason to watch 2 or 3 bowl games. The BCS system removed none of the subjectivity and made the bowl season boring (and even more boring with two boring SEC teams in the NC game).
Right. At least the old system didn't pretend to determine a championship. The new system attempts to and often fails. I liked to bowl system the way it was, with names of bowls that were recognizable year to year and a New Years Day that was wall to wall bowl games. The BCS has stripped the bowl system of that charm, and of the tradition, and here we are on New Years Day and there are no bowl games at all.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcmetro wrote:I can't get into watching most of these games though, as they don't mean anything.
I hear ya. But, as a college football fan, I love watching any and every Bowl game that I can, even if it's 2 crappy teams.

Highlander wrote: The BCS system removed none of the subjectivity and made the bowl season boring (and even more boring with two boring SEC teams in the NC game).
According to Andy Staples from SI.com, that's the Big 12's fault.

Link to video: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/ ... =hp_t11_a6

phxcat wrote:The BCS has stripped the bowl system of that charm, and of the tradition, and here we are on New Years Day and there are no bowl games at all.
It was my understanding that's because today is Sunday and college football either can't or doesn't want to compete with the NFL. But, I'm not sure how accurate that is.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
kcmetro wrote:I can't get into watching most of these games though, as they don't mean anything.
It was my understanding that's because today is Sunday and college football either can't or doesn't want to compete with the NFL. But, I'm not sure how accurate that is.
I was thinking that may have been the case this year, but I don't remember a year without New Years Day bowls, and since the advent of the BCS, what was once a day long, multi-network affair has become 3 or 4 games at the most.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Bowls are stupid and the long layoff between games is the dumbest thing ever. Haven't watched a single one.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Unless one really is a sports freak why watch many of the bowl games. In the distant past when bowl games were few one was able to watch a good game. Now just about every team with a .500 record can go to a bowl game. And add the BCS to the mix who really cares about the games other than the final one unless your school is involved?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Bowling for Chumps How insiders use the college bowl system to loot American universities.
The bloodbath began the moment the contract was signed. Minnesota was obligated to write a check for 10,000 tickets, which were supposed to be resold to fans. Never mind that even the best of teams struggle to unload such sums. For middling squads like the Gophers, it was nothing more than a way for the men in funny yellow blazers who ran the Insight to grab piles of money from a public university.

Minnesota managed to sell just 901 seats. After kicking another 900 to the band, administrators and cherished hangers-on, the school was forced to eat $476,000 worth of useless tickets.

The contract also required the team to show up a week early, if only to burn as much school money as possible at the restaurants and retailers of Greater Phoenix.

One would think school administrators would protest such gall. But one would be wrong. They were quick to see the advantages of a luxury vacation on the school's dime. So they happily signed off.

The school's traveling party was larded up with 722 people, including players, band members and faculty. Airfare alone ran $542,000. Toss in hotels and meals, and the school had blown $1.3 million before the opening kickoff.

The ballsiest part of all: None of it was necessary.

Minnesota and Iowa State sit less than 200 miles apart. Their teams were providing the game. Their bands supplied the halftime entertainment. In fact, the Insight offered nothing — save for warm weather — that the schools couldn't have done better themselves.

Had the game been played in Minneapolis, the teams could have sold more tickets and put on a profitable game, since Big 10 matches typically generate $1 to $2 million — not knee-bending losses.

Yet none of this was ever considered. Thanks to an alliance of unblushing incompetence and corruption, college football long ago decided to outsource its most valuable asset — its post-season earnings.

The scheme plays out each year on the ostensibly pristine fields of amateur athletics. Bowl executives grant themselves breathtaking salaries. The games, meanwhile, provide coaches, athletic directors and the suits who nominally supervise them with an unending stream of bonuses.

Everyone else picks up the tab.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

The cats fought back, but not enough to overcome the better team. Gotta remember that Arkansas is probably a legit top 5 team...their only losses coming to LSU and Alabama. It's now been 10 years since K-State has won a bowl game. Hmm.

In other news, Justin McCay (5 star WR out of Bishop Miege HS) from OU will be transferring to KU. Props to Weis for a great job recruiting so far.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

kcmetro wrote:The cats fought back, but not enough to overcome the better team. Gotta remember that Arkansas is probably a legit top 5 team...their only losses coming to LSU and Alabama. It's now been 10 years since K-State has won a bowl game. Hmm.

In other news, Justin McCay (5 star WR out of Bishop Miege HS) from OU will be transferring to KU. Props to Weis for a great job recruiting so far.
And yet K-State's offense basically spotted Arkansas 10 points. If they play anywhere close to how they can the first 20 minutes or so, its a whole different game, not to mention the key injuries on defense. Arkansas is definitely a faster team. Better? Not so much. They did play the better game tonight. K-State has a few holes to fill and needs to recruit a little speed in the secondary, but will be improved next year. Look for K-State to be a favorite for the conference and to make an outside run at a championship.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Field position. Field position. Field position.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

" It's now been 10 years since K-State has won a bowl game. Hmm."

Lol. Very meaningful stat.

Tough game. Play 10 times ksu wins 5 of them. Not kstate best effort last night for sure.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well you did get a good indication in that game in the difference between SEC defense and Big 12 defense.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote:Well you did get a good indication in that game in the difference between SEC defense and Big 12 defense.
That's what stood out to me as well. An SEC team isn't going to let a QB run for 10 or 15 yard gains all night, without him first proving that he can throw the ball, which Klein never proved.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

kcmetro wrote:
KCMax wrote:Well you did get a good indication in that game in the difference between SEC defense and Big 12 defense.
That's what stood out to me as well. An SEC team isn't going to let a QB run for 10 or 15 yard gains all night, without him first proving that he can throw the ball, which Klein never proved.
More like his receivers never proved they could catch the ball.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I never saw that game as a OMG look how great the sec is.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

You don't have to look to the Cotton Bowl to see how great the SEC is. There's always the National Championship game for that.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:You don't have to look to the Cotton Bowl to see how great the SEC is. There's always the National Championship game for that.
Actually the "national championship game" will do nothing but hide the answer to the question of how great it is.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I seriously doubt you would say that if the game involved two Big 12 teams.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Probably not, but it would be true, regardless.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat wrote:Probably not, but it would be true, regardless.
Agreed. My only beef with the Big 12 is that when the SEC proposed a change in the system in 2008, Dan Bebee rejected it. As a result, we just saw Oklahoma State got screwed out of the BCS Title game and K-State get screwed out of a BCS game.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

What indication would that be???

Aside from Arkansas' punt return, that potent offense (arguably the best in the SEC) dropped a paltry 22 points on that BigXII Defense.