2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Post by KCFutbol »

AllThingsKC wrote:Anybody see this? Instant classic!

Pot, kettle, black.

The greed of Texas is the primary reason the Big XII is on ther verge of destruction.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

That was the Rice marching band, not UT.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

And how does that change what I said?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Because Rice has absolutely nothing to do with the whole aTm mess? And your post seemed to suggest it was the UT marching band making fun of aTm for leaving for the SEC?
brotherdarrell
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brotherdarrell »

shaffe wrote:
brotherdarrell wrote:why isn't Auburn #1?  They were undefeated last year
:)

Of course this Missouri fan shouldn't cast stones from my glass house of less than impressive Week 1 performances, but at least we aren't coming off of a national title and Miami(OH) is probably a hell of a lot better than Utah St.

a month later and you still missed the joke
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

metro is officially more hung up on KSU than "his" school. congrats bro.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So I didn't see the game, but Gary Pinkel is taking a lot of flak today for some curious game management late in the Arizona game. Also sounds like Mizzou has yet another good QB on their hands.

KU may have found a decent QB too. Not great opposition yet (although NIU is pretty decent), but it doesn't look like a 1-11 season is in the works.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:So I didn't see the game, but Gary Pinkel is taking a lot of flak today for some curious game management late in the Arizona game. Also sounds like Mizzou has yet another good QB on their hands.

KU may have found a decent QB too. Not great opposition yet (although NIU is pretty decent), but it doesn't look like a 1-11 season is in the works.
I seriously thought someone hacked into Yahoo Sports when I saw the KU score today. I thought the game might be a bit tougher than the KU faithful had in mind, but not an embarrassing blowout. Looks like the road won't be kind to KU this season.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Their D looked awful. In fact, it's probably the worst D in all of division 1 football. It's definitely the worst I've seen from a KU team ever. They might put some points on the board, but unless they make some major changes on the defense, they're not going to win more than 1 or 2 games at best in the Big 12.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcmetro wrote:but unless they make some major changes on the defense, they're not going to win more than 1 or 2 games at best in the Big 12.
Wasn't that basically the expectation, though?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

AllThingsKC wrote:
kcmetro wrote:but unless they make some major changes on the defense, they're not going to win more than 1 or 2 games at best in the Big 12.
Maybe for some. I thought they might win 5 or 6. After seeing how bad their defense has been, I'd say they have a shot at winning a couple more games. They can score, so if they face teams that don't have high flying offenses, then they'll be in the game. Most teams don't have the type of option offense that G-Tech runs, so I expect us to do much better against teams that don't run it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcmetro wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:
Maybe for some. I thought they might win 5 or 6. After seeing how bad their defense has been, I'd say they have a shot at winning a couple more games. They can score, so if they face teams that don't have high flying offenses, then they'll be in the game. Most teams don't have the type of option offense that G-Tech runs, so I expect us to do much better against teams that don't run it.
5 or 6 games? Really? They've already won one more than I was expecting.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm not totally sure what I expected from this season, but I think that I have a few minimum requirements. Last year's KU team was up and down, down way more than up, and looked so uninspired at times it had me wondering if we could fire a first year head coach. This season, my wish is that Coach Gill shows improvement in all facets of the game, puts a product on the field that will never give up or roll over, and either takes a solid Big XII team down to the wire or upsets somebody during the season. Win-wise, I thought that 5 wins would be a great improvement but had/have no idea where those wins would come from.

After hearing some folks say our defense was the worst KU defense ever in the first two games, I really couldn't believe it having only listened to those games on the radio. I remember KU's defenses of the early 2000s, which were pretty pathetic, but this last weekend's joke of a defense takes the cake. I don't buy for one second that it had anything to do with the triple option. There were tight ends continuously running wide open down the middle of the field. That is a high school play designed to take advantage of kids who don't understand coverages yet. Coach Gill loves to run the ball, and while our offense is not as embarassing as it was last season, we can't afford to be a run-first team when we have to score every time we get the ball. While Coach still has a lot of personnel in place that were not his recruits, it is clear that they just don't know where to be. Assignments are out the window, and that reflects upon the coach, especially since our players were burned over and over again by the same plays. My revised expectations for this year are that we show massive improvements from the defense I saw this past weekend, and that we win 2 games in the Big XII. I don't think the 2 wins are realistic seeing as how Iowa St. is clearly better than we are, but I think that is what Coach Gill needs to do to keep his job.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Cats grab huge win. Offense looked great, at times. A few marginal possessions. Defense looked solid, though there were a few second half breakdowns in the secondary. Ultimately, any road win against a quality opponent is fantastic. Hopefully this confidence carries over to next weekend.

Big 2:30 ABC matchup against Baylor. Go cats!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Been in Miami and a cruise...

What did I miss? Ha. Nice wins cats. Miami was a blast.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KSU is good (so far). KU sucks (Gil=Allen?). MU is questionable (2 losses to good teams). NU annihilated and humiliated in Big10 opener.

Really looking forward to the ksu/mu game next weekend. I think the Cats win this one at home, but I expect it to be close.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

MU is what I expected them to be, on the upward slope of the learning curve. Sophomore QB with no game time is going to have some work to do before he is beating teams like Oklahoma. I would wait a couple of more games before you grade MU.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

How grateful are K-State fans right now to have Snyder back at the helm? Dude works magic with garbage players. It's too bad Gill can't get that much out of his players. I think a new D coordinator would be a good start though.