2012 MLB All-Star Game at The K

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmokid
Pad site
Pad site

2012 MLB All-Star Game at The K

Post by kcmokid »

Watching all of this coverage of the Home Run Derby and tomorrow's All Star Game, am I the only one who is ALREADY fired up for next year's ASG at Kauffman?  I'm picturing Berman calling homers into the fountains in right, aerial shots of Kauffman/Arrowhead at night, the parade of all-stars through the Plaza... going to be awesome.

Let's use this thread to post updates, rumors, and info about the preparations for our huge week on the national stage!  Like, what are we thinking for the logo that will be released on August 2nd... fountains?

Here's a good update from MLB.com
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... llstar2011
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2012 MLB All-Star Game at The K

Post by KCMax »

Yea, I'm pretty excited about it. Did it look like the Arizona stadium was barely half-full for the HR derby? I would guess it will be a pretty hot ticket here.

I hate that the first comment in that article is basically "hey KC, don't screw this up." Can't we be positive with a can-do attitude once in awhile?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I wouldn't be suprised, if the game tonight. still has tickets available.  Why even put sports teams in Transplant/Sunbelt cities, Phoenix is spring training territory and should have stayed that way.  The NHL team averages like 9000 fans and the metro is about 4 million.

When I went to spring training this year, most of the servers and such in Tempe have never even been to downtown Phoenix and they lived in the area 4 plus years.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

And KC won't blow this all star game because we will have plenty of fans from St Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Milwaukee and even Iowa/Nebraska carry us and make it a great and vibrant event. 

Wonder if they will do the parade through downtown like they did in St Louis a couple years back?  It's nice they will be bringing back the run next year (Phx canceled it because of the heat)
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
When I went to spring training this year, most of the servers and such in Tempe have never even been to downtown Phoenix and they lived in the area 4 plus years.

If I lived in Phoenix, I'd don't know if I'd go anywhere but Tempe and Scottsdale either. I could certainly have lived my life without ever "experiencing" downtown Phoenix.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good ego boosting column from mellinger today.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Here is the column. Its basically "hey, players actually want to come to KC!"

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/11/30 ... -of-a.html

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC will have no problem selling out the all star game without the help of St Louis or Chicago.  But I do hope people from StL and Chicago find ways to get tickets and come to KC.  The more tickets sold to out of towners, the better this event will be for KC.

I think this will be a very tough ticket to get.  Phoenix is not near the baseball town that KC is despite how long the royals have been terrible.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

What is the price range for All Star game tickets generally?  Anyone know what the cheapest might be?  Anyone know ticket prices for the HR derby?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcmetro wrote: What is the price range for All Star game tickets generally?  Anyone know what the cheapest might be?  Anyone know ticket prices for the HR derby?
On Stubhub, tix seem to start at $75 for the ASG.

http://www.stubhub.com/mlb-all-star-gam ... 11-978522/

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I wouldn't be suprised, if the game tonight. still has tickets available.
Just saw a report on fox 4 today and they said seats still available for purchase at the gate
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good to read a shuttle system is being developed by the royals. Pretty much a requirement. Lets hope it hits downtown, plaza, 18th and vine and out to the K.....with long hours and capacity.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I wouldn't be suprised, if the game tonight. still has tickets available.  Why even put sports teams in Transplant/Sunbelt cities, Phoenix is spring training territory and should have stayed that way.  The NHL team averages like 9000 fans and the metro is about 4 million.

no point in putting any pro team in an area full of transplants but leagues see the dollar signs for expansion but don't actually measure any interest
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Does the performance of the host team affect ratings? Will more people be interested if its in Boston?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm a little concerned about KC is going look when hosting this game.  There were various groups (and players?) who boycotted the ASG in Arizona because of the Arizona law on illegal immigration.  Some people even wanted the game removed from Arizona.

So, given the defeatist attitude of many Kansas Citians already, and the fact that Boston wanted the 2012 ASG, I have to wonder if there will be the same kind of boycotts against Kansas City.

And even if everything goes fine for KC, there's no doubt that the tolerant folks at the Westboro Baptist Church will be outside Kauffman Stadium that night sharing their message of love.

Now, I suspect that as with Arizona, the ASG in Kansas City will be just fine.  But, as a biased Kansas Citian, I do not like the idea of our city being boycotted.
KC is the way to be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I don't think anyone is going to boycott. The venue choice of the all-star game is not really comparable to immigration as a "hot button" issue. If any Boston players boycott because the game is not in Boston will look like complete idiots. And, it's not like players in Baltimore, NY or LA are going to boycott because the game is here and not Boston.

And there haven't been any players who stated immigration law as a reason not to play in this year's game. And the issue really didn't receive much coverage in the main stream media (as it pertains to the ASG).

If you're going to worry about how KC looks hosting the game - consider the wide panoramic shots of the parking lots surrounding the stadiums - and the bitchy blogs of writers who have trouble getting from the Plaza to the stadium and back.

You claim there's a defeatist attitude among KC's residents. Why give into that? There's nothing more defeatist than regretting the fact we actually get to host an event of this magnitude. 
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I really don't understand this anxiety KC is having over the all-star game.  KC has plenty to do and an outstanding ballpark to host the event at.  It will be a great show case of KC.

What weekend will this be next year? 

I would love to see crossroads to an extra First Friday or some sort of similar arts event to showcase the area (otherwise it would probably be overlooked) and add some vibrancy for visitors.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I really don't see why/how we would fare any better or worse than Milwaukee did hosting the ASG - a similar sized city with a stadium that is not really close to downtown.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

WSPanic wrote: If you're going to worry about how KC looks hosting the game - consider the wide panoramic shots of the parking lots surrounding the stadiums - and the bitchy blogs of writers who have trouble getting from the Plaza to the stadium and back.

You claim there's a defeatist attitude among KC's residents. Why give into that? There's nothing more defeatist than regretting the fact we actually get to host an event of this magnitude. 
I am not giving into the defeatist attitude this city seems to have.  I am merely pointing it out that it exists because we have people complaining about driving from the Plaza to the K.

KCMax wrote: I really don't see why/how we would fare any better or worse than Milwaukee did hosting the ASG - a similar sized city with a stadium that is not really close to downtown.
This.  It is much ado about nothing.  I doubt it will be big factor.
KC is the way to be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote: I am not giving into the defeatist attitude this city seems to have.  I am merely pointing it out that it exists because we have people complaining about driving from the Plaza to the K.
I'm sorry I mistook your worrying and fretting about player boycotts and the WBC for having a defeatist attitude. Not sure how that happened.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.