2011 Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2011 Chiefs

Post by KC-wildcat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:It would be just like signing Joe Montana years ago. Only makes sense if you think the team can go all-the-way.
If the Chiefs aren't equipped to go "all the way" in the next three years (Manning probably has 3yr left on the tires), we may as well fold up the tent right now and bulldoze Arrowhead.

We've been in rebuilding mode since the Vermeil era. What the hell are we building towards?

KC has got a good young nucleus. We need an OL, DT, QB. All of which we should be able to execute with our giant salary cap room.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Chiefs + a healthy Peyton Manning = Super Bowl contender. The 2011 Colts were the worst team in football. Yet, pretty much the same team was 10-6 and won their division with Peyton the year before. Put Peyton on a young, 7-9 team that can go out and fill some other holes through free agency? We could have quite a team on our hands.

But that's all a big if. I still think we're long shots. But no one really knows but Peyton.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC-wildcat wrote:If the Chiefs aren't equipped to go "all the way" in the next three years (Manning probably has 3yr left on the tires), we may as well fold up the tent right now and bulldoze Arrowhead.

We've been in rebuilding mode since the Vermeil era. What the hell are we building towards?
I wasn't talking about 3 years from now but for the 2012 season. Does he have 3 years left? That remains to be seen but for him at his age and with the latest injuries I would take it one year at a time. Not saying I wouldn't sign him to a multi-year contract but at least in the NFL the contracts are not guaranteed. A revamped offensive line will be needed along with an improved receiver unit. A more consistent defense wouldn't hurt. The Chiefs have the salary cap to do it. Will they?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

ESPN is reporting that Peyton WILL NOT be a Chief. He declined to visit.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

AllThingsKC wrote:ESPN is reporting that Peyton WILL NOT be a Chief. He declined to visit.
F*ck him! Seriously. Watch him go to Denver....
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I still don't get why he'd want to come to Denver. He supposedly wants to play in nice weather, and while Denver is not as snowy as you might think, its also not nice weather. You're walking into a QB controversy - I know its PEYTON MANNING, but what if he's not healthy? What if he struggles at all - he is 36 years old. How long before the Tebow-maniacs come out of the woodwork? I also don't think Denver has a very good team going forward. They kinda won last year with smoke and mirrors. They lost their defensive coordinator and their best defensive player just got suspended for six games and might get released. Their defense also played well in large part because of the ball control offense they played, which Peyton will not run.

Just seems like a bad situation to go to. Arizona seems like a no-brainer, and if I were him, Miami and KC would be among my finalists, maybe even Seattle. But Denver wouldn't be on the list at all.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Chiefs reportedly are in on Patriots RB Benjarvus Green-Ellis, who is a free agent tomorrow.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

But I heard some yapping mouth say that we couldn't do that because something something?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Chiefs getting official visits from Chargers RB Mike Tolbert and Browns RB Peyton Hillis. Also said to be interested in Texans RT Eric Winston. QB Kyle Orton is visiting the Cowboys and Fescoe says the Chiefs want to keep him.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kyle Orton signs with the Cowboys. Brandon Carr close to signing there too.

Packers C Scott Wells rumored to be visiting KC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

We got Peyton!.......Hillis.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Chiefs sign RT Eric Winston and QB Brady Quinn

Broncos sign QB Peyton Manning

Who had the better week?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Winston is a great signing. I think Quinn could go either way. He was projected to be a franchise QB, it's just never happened. I have to assume Crennel believes in him since he drafted him.

Of course nobody was going to have a better week than the team that scored Manning, and I had a feeling that Elway would pull it off. A bad, bad feeling.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

If we could pick up some help on the D-Line - serious impact player - this free agency class may not be a bust. Kelly Gregg's are nice, but not what we need.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Manning's going to be a bust. Thank the Gods he blew us off.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote:If we could pick up some help on the D-Line - serious impact player - this free agency class may not be a bust. Kelly Gregg's are nice, but not what we need.
A lot of mock drafts have us linked with Dontarius Poe of Memphis, who had a lackluster year, but a sensational combine. He has the tools, but has a bit of a motivation issue. So I'm not he's a Pioli guy. But he does have the upside of an impact guy.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Looked on ESPN for top 2012 free agents on d-line. In no particular order,

Amobi Okoye DT Bears
Derek Landri DT Eagles
Sammie Lee Hill DT Lions
Desmond Bryant DT Raiders
Brodrick Bunkley DT Broncos

Anybody know anything about these players?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »