2011 Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 2011 Chiefs

Post by grovester »

KCMax wrote:It was explained to me that all we need to do is win out, have Buffalo beat Denver, and have San Diego lose at least one of their remaining games.
yep, we win a 4 way tie.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote:No. Cassel did all those things too - beat the defending Super Bowl champs (2009 Steelers), won a division - except win the playoff game. I just don't see that big a difference between the two. Orton has a better arm, but he has no touch. Cassel has great touch, but not much of an arm. Both have been in the league for many years and have never carried their team past the first round of the playoffs. Keeping either of them around would be like the Dave Krieg years under Marty.
Alright, fair enough. Unfortunately, I suspect there is a near-0% chance Pioli drafts a QB early.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KCMax wrote:
mean wrote:Orton has a better arm, but he has no touch. Cassel has great touch, but not much of an arm.
We must have different definitions of 'touch'. Because I have never known Matt as a QB that can fit the ball into small windows.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MidWestSider wrote:
KCMax wrote:
mean wrote:Orton has a better arm, but he has no touch. Cassel has great touch, but not much of an arm.
We must have different definitions of 'touch'. Because I have never known Matt as a QB that can fit the ball into small windows.
Yea, I don't consider that "touch". I think of touch as knowing when to throw it gently enough for a receiver to go get it. Orton kinda whips it at everyone no matter what.

Cassel definitely can't throw it in a crowd.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So I've come around to the thinking that a head coach is important, but not that important - certainly not as important as a good quarterback. I think a good coach can take a 6 win team and win 9 games, but he can't really take a 9 win team and make them serious Super Bowl contenders unless he has a great QB. A great QB can take a 2 win team and make them serious Super Bowl contenders - Peyton Manning seems to be evidence of that.

Romeo Crennel is a great defensive mind, the players seem to like him, he's a good bet to get along with Pioli which means we won't have the drama of the last few years, and he won't embarrass the organization. I'm cool with him as a coach long-term. I don't think Cowher or Gruden is going to coach next year, and I love Jeff Fisher, but I sense he is going to San Diego. So I endorse Romeo for the future. Just get a QB that can win us a Super Bowl. And its not Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote:Romeo Crennel is a great defensive mind, the players seem to like him, he's a good bet to get along with Pioli
Don't know if Crennel is the one Pioli will hire but I seriously doubt that Pioli would hire someone like Fisher or Cowher or Gruden. Those types of coaches will want to take some power away from Pioli and I doubt he is the type to give it away.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I've heard from people who supposedly are friends with his daughter that Fisher is a done deal and they are just waiting to announce and that Crennel is staying as coordinator.

Take it with a grain of salt, but i believe the source.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCMax wrote:Romeo Crennel is a great defensive mind, the players seem to like him, he's a good bet to get along with Pioli
Don't know if Crennel is the one Pioli will hire but I seriously doubt that Pioli would hire someone like Fisher or Cowher or Gruden. Those types of coaches will want to take some power away from Pioli and I doubt he is the type to give it away.
I agree. I see the two clashing if he did hire anyway. The job seems to be Crennel's kbosh's rumor notwithstanding.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

If the Chiefs had won last week, they'd be playing next week. Oh....so close!!!! Darn you NFL overtime rules!!!

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

But, hey: THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS ARE UNDEFEATED IN 2012!!!!!!!!!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Seriously though, the overtime rules are stupid.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Really, all that Tebow crap with that performance? Gimme a break. I never thought he looked that good to begin with
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

I don't think cassel is the guy. He seems weak to me. Orton played well but I think he was psychologically aided by playing games where he had nothing to lose. The one game that mattered, against Oakland, he choked.
I would not draft a qb. Take a look at Matt Flynn from the packers. Although I'm hesitant to go after guys that have been backups, Flynn seems to be the real deal.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Orton is a quality backup.

He is known for being inconsistent. He will have four games a year where he looks like a pro bowl quaterback and six games a year when he looks like a dud.

The Chiefs only scored 7 points against Denver. It is hard to say Orton looked good in that game.

The question is what would Orton cost to bring in as Cassel's backup. Somebody may be desparate enough to pay orton starter money. If tne chiefs can sign orton for $5 million a year - I say do it. If it takes $10 million - no way. At $7 million it is a tought decision. Not many teams can affford $7 million for a backup QB but the Chiefs have the salary cap room to do it. The question is can you find better at a lower price.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

knucklehead wrote:Orton is a quality backup.

He is known for being inconsistent. He will have four games a year where he looks like a pro bowl quaterback and six games a year when he looks like a dud.

The Chiefs only scored 7 points against Denver. It is hard to say Orton looked good in that game.

The question is what would Orton cost to bring in as Cassel's backup. Somebody may be desparate enough to pay orton starter money. If tne chiefs can sign orton for $5 million a year - I say do it. If it takes $10 million - no way. At $7 million it is a tought decision. Not many teams can affford $7 million for a backup QB but the Chiefs have the salary cap room to do it. The question is can you find better at a lower price.
I think Cassel deserves a shot without Haley, but we need a solid non-Palko backup.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

knucklehead wrote:Orton is a quality backup.

I'm not sold on Cassel. Not sold on Orton either. Is not like we are having a controversy between two good qb's. We are debating between mediocre guys. If we are going to have a qb controversy, let's have a good one. Consider other options.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

macnw wrote:Really, all that Tebow crap with that performance? Gimme a break. I never thought he looked that good to begin with
Tebow is amazing coming through in the clutch like that and losing against the Chiefs to ensure a playoff spot.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

2012 Schedule now determined:

HOME GAMES: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, and Indianapolis Colts.

AWAY GAMES: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Buffalo Bills.

Looks like a 16-0 season to me.
cdm2p wrote:I don't think cassel is the guy. He seems weak to me. Orton played well but I think he was psychologically aided by playing games where he had nothing to lose. The one game that mattered, against Oakland, he choked.
I would not draft a qb. Take a look at Matt Flynn from the packers. Although I'm hesitant to go after guys that have been backups, Flynn seems to be the real deal.
I don't know much about Flynn, but I think Chiefs fans are tired of getting backups who look good for a few games on a good team. Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Matt Cassel....