Star compares KU, MU, KSU fans

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Star compares KU, MU, KSU fans

Post by KCPowercat »

Wonder who came out on top in all areas???

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/10/27 ... u-and.html
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Star compares KU, MU, KSU fans

Post by WSPanic »

That was one of the dumber things I've ever read in my life.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LOL.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

That article was so dumb I didn't bother to finish reading it.

A note concerning MU fans.  I was at the KU game Thursday, and sitting in front of me were a couple hick MU fans (whose team wasn't even playing during that session).  They had their camouflage Mizzou hunting caps on and kept talking trash on KU.  I think they were there to simply root against KU, as I find many MU fans do.  After KU pulled out the victory, they acted all shocked that KU fans were cheering so loud (it was a 1 point win and OSU missed a last second shot).  They just embodied the MU stereotype though...hickish dudes who care more about KU losing than they care about MU winning.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe pictures would be easier for you to comprehend over all those scary words. 

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

So, we're younger, make more money, and are better fans. Good to know.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Maybe pictures would be easier for you to comprehend over all those scary words. 
Still bitter about K-State's loss?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol...deflect, deflect.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: That article was so dumb I didn't bother to finish reading it.

A note concerning MU fans.  I was at the KU game Thursday, and sitting in front of me were a couple hick MU fans (whose team wasn't even playing during that session).  They had their camouflage Mizzou hunting caps on and kept talking trash on KU.  I think they were there to simply root against KU, as I find many MU fans do.  After KU pulled out the victory, they acted all shocked that KU fans were cheering so loud (it was a 1 point win and OSU missed a last second shot).  They just embodied the MU stereotype though...hickish dudes who care more about KU losing than they care about MU winning.
Well, they probably bought that camoflage at Cabellas in Kansas.  

I hate the idea of stereotyping fans.  You'd think after listening to some fans that because KU has a pretty successful b-ball programs, the fans were some kind of knowledgeable basketball afficiandos and can all dunk.  I find this pretty distasteful and hopelessly dishonest.  A few minutes on Phognet reveals remarkable ignorance of the game of basketball and every bit as much of a Mizzou preoccupation and hatred as Mizzou fans have for KU. In KC, the characteristics of the fan base are virtually identical in almost every category.  Neither fan base is more hickish than the other.  If anything, Mizzou has a slightly better academic reputation than KU, and I say this not as a Mizzou fan but as a KU grad.  It's stupid to go on as you just did metro because it's an anecdotal musing that simply isn't believable.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

Highlander wrote: Well, they probably bought that camoflage at Cabellas in Kansas.  

I hate the idea of stereotyping fans.  You'd think after listening to some fans that because KU has a pretty successful b-ball programs, the fans were some kind of knowledgeable basketball afficiandos and can all dunk.  I find this pretty distasteful and hopelessly dishonest.  A few minutes on Phognet reveals remarkable ignorance of the game of basketball and every bit as much of a Mizzou preoccupation and hatred as Mizzou fans have for KU. In KC, the characteristics of the fan base are virtually identical in almost every category.  Neither fan base is more hickish than the other.  If anything, Mizzou has a slightly better academic reputation than KU, and I say this not as a Mizzou fan but as a KU grad.  It's stupid to go on as you just did metro because it's an anecdotal musing that simply isn't believable.
Topeka's "kc"metro is the ultimate insecure, Mizzou-obsessed Kansas fan, and the lamest flamethrower since MaitreDoosh and LenexatoKC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That sound you hear is journalism slowly dying.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

MoMan wrote: Topeka's "kc"metro is the ultimate insecure, Mizzou-obsessed Kansas fan, and the lamest flamethrower since MaitreDoosh and LenexatoKC.
Mizzou has a lot to be obsessed about. &
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MoMan wrote: Topeka's "kc"metro is the ultimate insecure, Mizzou-obsessed Kansas fan, and the lamest flamethrower since MaitreDoosh and LenexatoKC.
Mizzou doesn't even enter my mind, other than when the MU fans are breathing their tobacco-laden breath into my ear while talking trash on behalf of Okie State.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think this discourse is exactly what the article was speaking to.....KU somehow forgets they have these exact same fans.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: I think this discourse is exactly what the article was speaking to.....KU somehow forgets they have these exact same fans.
What I was pointing out was how I see so many MU fans rooting against KU rather than rooting for MU.  I suppose KU fans would do the same thing though if the roles were reversed, and MU dominated us year in, year out.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: What I was pointing out was how I see so many MU fans rooting against KU rather than rooting for MU.  I suppose KU fans would do the same thing though if the roles were reversed, and MU dominated us year in, year out.
Surely you spend time on Phognet.  There are threads devoted to MU vs whatever  opponent Mizzou happens to be playing with the KU fans rooting wholeheartedly for the opposition.  Admittedly, Tigerboard is the same way with reference to KU but for KU fans to say it doesn't happen with them is flat out wrong.  It does.  Do you think many KU fans were rooting for Mizzou against UCONN in the elite eight match a couple of years ago when KU was already eliminated?  On both sides, it reminds me of living in Scotland when the Scots favorite futball or rugby team was whoever was playing England.   
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Highlander wrote: Surely you spend time on Phognet.  There are threads devoted to MU vs whatever  opponent Mizzou happens to be playing with the KU fans rooting wholeheartedly for the opposition.  Admittedly, Tigerboard is the same way with reference to KU but for KU fans to say it doesn't happen with them is flat out wrong.  It does.  Do you think many KU fans were rooting for Mizzou against UCONN in the elite eight match a couple of years ago when KU was already eliminated?  On both sides, it reminds me of living in Scotland when the Scots favorite futball or rugby team was whoever was playing England.   
I guess I just notice it more since MU fans have had less to root for when it comes to their own team, so maybe it just seems like they're being trolls.  I stay away from phog.net because you're right...it is filled with lots of idiots.  And I must confess, I wasn't rooting for MU against UCONN.  :D
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

kcmetro wrote: What I was pointing out was how I see so many MU fans rooting against KU rather than rooting for MU.
Are the two mutually exclusive?  I root like hell every game for Mizzou to win and ku to lose.  I don't sacrifice one for the other at any point.  The fact that so many ku fans have it in their brains that Mizzou fans honestly forsake rooting for their own teams because they're so enamored with seeing kansas lose at anything is the perfect example of the negative stereotype surrounding ku fans.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: I think this discourse is exactly what the article was speaking to.....KU somehow forgets they have these exact same fans.
You mean dumber than a sack of rocks Kansans? YES. I agree Kstate and KU do have the same fans-- they're both the lowest common denominator. The type of morons that find 810 entertaining in 2011. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Midwestern college fans (regardless of state) are all the same food group :).

Kansas is just a bit more obsessed with college sports IMO while Missouri is more take it or leave it.  People pull for MU and support the teams, but it sort of takes a back seat to the pro teams and other interests (I say this from a KC and StL perspective)  I have always said that and will never back down from it.  College sports defines places like Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska etc.  I don't think that's the case at all in MO and if even less the case in places like Colorado, Minnesota etc where college sports are popular and their are plenty of fans, but it's not all consuming and obsessive as if that's the only thing there is to do there.  Live in StLouis or Denver for a while and you would see how far down college sports are in most people lives compared to KC area residents (especially KS side KC area residents).

As far as hicks.  Kansas people calling Missouri people hicks is hilarious.  I do think that rural MO can be more redneck/hick than rural KS, especially down south.  But urban MO more than makes up for it and MU has more of a St Louis culture than anything else.

Wake me up when "KC" has a respectable university so it can form its own identity and following.  Most major metros have big time urban schools in addition to traditional satellite campus towns.  That is something KC severely lacks.

It would be nice if the "University of KC" played against places like Pittsburgh, Cincy, SLU etc.