2011 Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 2011 Sporting Kansas City

Post by phxcat »

I think that a move to soccer would be more difficult than a move to most any other sport, though.  Being able to kick a ball, even with control, is much different than trying to control a ball against a defender, and the difference with other sports is that, as difficult as it is to hit a baseball, especially again major league pitching, you are following the basic paradigm of handling the tools of the game with your hands, using the lower body either to move or to assist, and with baseball, where the primary switch has been to, you are dealing with one pitch at a time, rather than moves and counter-moves.   
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

phxcat wrote: I think that a move to soccer would be more difficult than a move to most any other sport, though.  Being able to kick a ball, even with control, is much different than trying to control a ball against a defender
Of the pro sports in the US, an amateur move to the MLS (especially at the forward position) would be the easiest, IMO. 

Ochocinco will probably never play for Sporting.  If I had to bet.  I think the labor dispute will clear up in a month or so, and I can imagine his contract won't permit him to play another sport.  More of a novelty PR move. 

That said, I can see a guy like OC, with his blazing fast speed being able to play a few desperation minutes for an MLS club.  Send him on long runs, lob it over the top or long through balls.  Even if his ball skills are amateur, I could see him making a roster.  I mean, this isn't the English Premiere League after all.     
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC-wildcat wrote: Of the pro sports in the US, an amateur move to the MLS (especially at the forward position) would be the easiest, IMO. 

Ochocinco will probably never play for Sporting.  If I had to bet.  I think the labor dispute will clear up in a month or so, and I can imagine his contract won't permit him to play another sport.  More of a novelty PR move. 

That said, I can see a guy like OC, with his blazing fast speed being able to play a few desperation minutes for an MLS club.  Send him on long runs, lob it over the top or long through balls.  Even if his ball skills are amateur, I could see him making a roster.  I mean, this isn't the English Premiere League after all.     
I would put my money on American football being the easiest sport to move to and have an immediate impact if you are a good athlete.  There are so many specialty positions requiring very little versatility.  Kickers often come from soccer and rugby.  TEs come from basketball.  Return men are often just super fast guys with mediocre receiving capabilities.  If you are a freak athlete with a skill, a football team can find a spot for you.  Being able to control a ball at high speed with your feet is not something that is done in any other sport.  I'm not saying it is more difficult, but it is so vastly different.  On average, I'd think that football players can get by with worse hand eye coordination than in any other major sport.  Most of the players on the field never touch the ball on any given play.  If soccer were a game of speed alone, the US would be one of the best in the world.

All that said, I think baseball is the most difficult of the pro sports for an excellent athlete to just jump into.  Good hitting is one of the most refined skills that one can attain.  QB in the NFL is definitely up there, but it is one position. 
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC-wildcat wrote: That said, I can see a guy like OC, with his blazing fast speed being able to play a few desperation minutes for an MLS club.  Send him on long runs, lob it over the top or long through balls.  Even if his ball skills are amateur, I could see him making a roster.  I mean, this isn't the English Premiere League after all.     
There is one thing many coaches say, "you can't coach speed."  Another is "speed corrects many mistakes."
Yes, it would be a very long shot but what does both sides have to lose?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

This video might be of interest.  Soccer-relevant footwork drills about 2:30 in.

OCNN Video - Chad OchoCinco Workout #1 Full (HD)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Chad Ochocinco will be taking the SportingKC team out to dinner at Fogo de Chao if you want to say hi.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

The Ochocinco affair has been nothing but a positive. It shows just how difficult this sport is. He never had a chance, but he's been humble, shown a real love for the game, and is excited to get to train with some of these guys. The most shocking thing is how slow he looked out there. Zero soccer fitness whatsoever - the guys that get paid to do this are on another level aerobically than any other athletes.

And while MLS isn't on the same level as other leagues, if you've watched any of our 3 games, Sporting has about 4 forwards that could start in many "better" European leagues. You better get out to the park and catch Teal Bunbury before he's gone. I'm hoping we have him for more than this year, but I doubt it at this point.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

All the Cauldron watch parties this year have been and should be at Johnny's Tavern in P&L. 1310 Grand, KCMO. Anyone is welcome, and it's all-ages.

If you wear team gear/colors, you can get in on our beer specials. $4 32 oz schooners, All domestics, and they've included the Boulevard Pilsner. We've packed the place 4 times now this year and they've all been fun. Next game is April 16th.

Against Chicago, we took 300 to that game, and still filled Johnny's w/KC fans here. To us it's been incredible how much momentum the club has at the moment. Johnny's has shown soccer over three straight rounds of the NCAA tournament, including K-State's Elite Eight matchup. Last night the Final Four was on a few TV's for us, but the audio & majority were on the KC v Vancouver game. With 10,000 season ticket holders now and counting, maybe the team will start to get a little more love from the local media.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Any idea when single game tickets go on sale?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

KCPowercat wrote: Any idea when single game tickets go on sale?
I've heard sometime in May.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

nice write up at cnnsi.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html
Sporting Kansas City at forefront of MLS innovation

When MLS insiders discuss various clubs' operational ways, they tend to categorize teams in one of two ways: those still running the sluggish, old MLS 1.0 (figuratively speaking, of course) and those having graduated to the higher-capacity 2.0.

In fact, if you had to choose the most innovative group now thinking its way around the MLS chessboard, one that might even be running "MLS 2.5" at this point, you might be surprised where to find it. It lies deep in heartland, in Kansas City. There may not be a stronger embodiment of local, committed, innovative ownership.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The Chicago Fire lost today.  So on Monday, be sure to go to Firehouse Subs and say, "Put out the fire!" and you'll get a free medium sandwich when you buy chips and a drink.  Pretty good deal.
KC is the way to be!
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

Firehouse Subs basically got overwhelmed with people on this. I'm assuming they were losing money because Chicago is terrible. They have a different process for redeeming them now - coupon and between 4-7pm rather than all day.

http://www.sportingkc.com/firehouse
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

KC v New York this Saturday at 6:30pm on KSMO. The Red Bulls just beat DC 4-0 in Washington DC. Not sure that's ever happened in 16 years, but DC is looking average-below average so far. NY is looking legit - Agudelo is a scary good 18 year old that scored w/ a really great improvisational piece of skill, Henry seems to be getting comfortable with 2 goals last week, and they're loaded from front to back.

Our guys are, well, to put it nicely, trying to figure it out. People have been questioning the "pressure" 4-3-3 tactics we've been playing as we looked gassed late in games and our defense isn't very overwhelming when performing at our best.

Honestly it reminds me a little of Mizzou basketball in that they are missing a combination of athleticism/smarts in midfield/d that prevent them from playing the system properly the whole game. Sporting has better "shooters" though. KC is scoring goals decently - we have a deep forward core even with Omar Bravo out another 3-4 weeks. Ryan Smith just came back from injury.

Red cards are killing them - 3 in 5 games or something, and the midfield/backline has only put in one really good performance and that wasn't a league match but a US Open Cup game. All 3 reds were pretty questionable for different reasons.

Aurelien Collin, the new centerback that came over from Portugal looks like he could be a great pickup, but he got a red card in a case of mistaken identity in some post-whistle antics.

Work trip came at the right time for once, so I'll get to catch the game live in NY!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NY is the top team in the league, right? Is Thierry Henry still a premiere player or a guy just kinda playing out the string?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCMax wrote: NY is the top team in the league, right? Is Thierry Henry still a premiere player or a guy just kinda playing out the string?
His injury problems have apparently been nagging him for a couple of years now, keeping him from being his best. His pace was always a critical part of his game, too, so his age is starting to catch up with him.

Still one of the best to play the game, but he isn't the TH that lit it up at Arsenal.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Well, the stadium looks beautiful.

I think tonight's game is exactly what you get when the two teams meeting haven't gotten a win in either of their past 10 games.  Cringe-worthy.

All the same, the stadium looks great.  I would have preferred the camera be higher, but oh well.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Nice to see Sporting KC get the first goal (and win) in their new stadium.  They have yet to lose a game in their new home.*

*I hope I didn't jinx it.
KC is the way to be!
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

AllThingsKC wrote: Nice to see Sporting KC get the first goal (and win) in their new stadium.  They have yet to lose a game in their new home.*

*I hope I didn't jinx it.
It was a great time being there. I went from the $30 seat area to the $15 seat area during halftime and had a lot more fun.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member