2011 Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2011 Sporting Kansas City

Post by KCMax »

Nice to see them aggressive on offense when they could have just played defense and keep away all game. I think that will carry over into Sunday. Its going to be an insane atmosphere this weekend!!! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The cold and rain made it look like there were tons of empty seats. I haven't seen the official attendance yet, but the crowd was pretty intense considering the weather. Hopefully, Sunday will be even better.

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

AllThingsKC wrote:The cold and rain made it look like there were tons of empty seats. I haven't seen the official attendance yet, but the crowd was pretty intense considering the weather. Hopefully, Sunday will be even better.

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

It was a sell out and many of them were standing on the concourse to get out of the rain. I was in the members stand and it was standing room only. Even though people were staying out of the rain, it looked like it was a sell out to me. Great game and I am proud that KC supports Sporting like they do. An article in the KC Star stated that a lot of the owners were in town to determine the 2012 schedule and stayed to watch the game. I bet they were impressed to see a sell out crowd in 40 degree, cold and rainy weather.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It was a bit of idiot's delight to stand in that rain, but when you are winning, ignorance is bliss. There were a number of empty seats, but I was impressed by how many people showed up to a game in such weather when we were already up 2-0. There were at least a few hundred tickets for sale online right up until the game, so I wouldn't be shocked if the owners bought up the remaining tickets to call it a sellout, but it was still a great crowd. As mentioned earlier, it is great to be a fan of a team that stays aggressive when they are in the lead by two and even three goals. This is completely the opposite of the lull you to sleep attack we had a few years ago. Great game, and I look forward to Sunday.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FWIW, the forecast for Sunday is 65 and partly cloudy.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

What a wicked night. The guys on the field kept us from too much complaint.

At start time, the seats were at least 70% empty. A few minutes into the match, they were more than 80% filled.

It made my chattering teeth smile.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

If you're heading out Sunday and you want to be part of the chants, here's a good primer.

http://www.adastraskc.org/
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

loftguy wrote:What a wicked night. The guys on the field kept us from too much complaint.

At start time, the seats were at least 70% empty. A few minutes into the match, they were more than 80% filled.

It made my chattering teeth smile.
with many people standing in the concourse around the stadium as well as the number of people that I saw in the members club watching the game away from the rain. I can still see that it was close to a sell out crowd.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Sporting KC match in MLS Eastern Conf Finals will be against Houston, now set for 4:30pm match at Livestrong Sporting Park.

Looks like as soon as I get out of the Chiefs game, I'm going to the Sporting KC game.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

In 2011, SKC has averaged 17,678 a game. Only six NCAA Basketball programs did better last year. SKC out drew KU, K-State, and Mizzou in the same number of home games. SKC out drew 18 NHL teams per game. SKC out drew 17 NBA teams per game.

MLS as a whole in 2011 out drew NBA & NHL on average attendance per match. MLS drew 5.5 million people this season in 18 cities.

MLS signed a new television contact with NBC a few months ago in addition to ESPN.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

And the Royals outdrew the Chiefs, Sporting, KU BB and MU basketball combined.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote:In 2011, SKC has averaged 17,678 a game. Only six NCAA Basketball programs did better last year. SKC out drew KU, K-State, and Mizzou in the same number of home games. SKC out drew 18 NHL teams per game. SKC out drew 17 NBA teams per game.

MLS as a whole in 2011 out drew NBA & NHL on average attendance per match. MLS drew 5.5 million people this season in 18 cities.

MLS signed a new television contact with NBC a few months ago in addition to ESPN.
Why do soccer fans continue to make Apple to Disco Ball comparisons for attendance in order to claim some sort of importance? Great crowds out there - not sure why they can't just enjoy that. If you have to think about why SKC may outdraw KU basketball, you obviously can't be helped. KU must suck because they can't draw more than 16,300 for a home game...
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I totally agree that comparing the MLS to other sports with regard to average attendance makes little to no sense. However, there is a great point to be made in the general sense that the MLS is doing a fantastic job of growing attendance at a better rate than any other sport (even then, there is simply more room to grow). The measure of selling out games and filling by percentages is interesting, but most of the stadiums are 20-30k in size. The real test will be how many 50-80k soccer stadiums are there in 10 years, and how many of them are packed on a regular basis. Soccer cannot be compared against other US sports. The best measure of soccer and its status is a comparison of US attendance to European and South American attendance. Eventually, we will have to have a few cities with Man U or Chelsey attendance numbers to be considered elite. I think this is a real possibility, but 10 years is probably ambitious.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

bobbyhawks wrote:I totally agree that comparing the MLS to other sports with regard to average attendance makes little to no sense.
For advertisers and team sponsors it makes a lot of sense.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Don't shoot the messenger, guys!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

What time do we start the soccer riots?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:What time do we start the soccer riots?
I guess if we have to schedule our soccer riots we do have a ways to go, compared to Europe.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

No surprise - CJ Sapong named Rookie of the Year.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Well, we didn't win that game, but you guys in the stands made an impression. CONCACAF says its men’s Olympic qualifying tournament will be held in three U.S. cities next spring. Preliminary games in Nashville and Carson, CA. Semis and finals at LSP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slu ... qualifying
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Team captain Davy Arnaud traded to Montreal for Seth Sinovic, who was on SKC until Montreal took him in the expansion draft. WTF? Why not just leave Arnaud unprotected? Or why lose Arnaud anyway? He was a pretty popular player. Too old?