The Kansas City Comets are back!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

The Kansas City Comets are back!

Post by KCBoom »

Comets returning to the KC area . . . to play at the IEC . . .

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/12/20 ... -back.html
Last edited by KCBoom on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Kansas City Comets are back!

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

They will be known as the Missouri Comets.  That just doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "Kansas City Comets."
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote: They will be known as the Missouri Comets.  That just doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "Kansas City Comets."
Lame. That's like having a "Kansas Speedway" in KCK. Oh wait.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Dumb name.  Must be part of the deal to have a team there.

Do Kansas people have more respect for this part of the metro now?  I sort of doubt it.  I still don't think people in JoCo have much interest in going to see anything in Independence, so may as well name the team based on thier fan base.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: Dumb name.  Must be part of the deal to have a team there.

Do Kansas people have more respect for this part of the metro now?  I sort of doubt it.  I still don't think people in JoCo have much interest in going to see anything in Independence, so may as well name the team based on thier fan base.
Should they? There's a minor league arena, a Bass Pro shop and a Christian bookstore. What am I missing?

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMax wrote: Should they? There's a minor league arena, a Bass Pro shop and a Christian bookstore. What am I missing?
I still read and hear a lot of people shit on Independence and I find it undeserved. Indy is doing things to stabilize their city.  What they have done near that mall has been extremely smart.  They don't have the demographics to support all that retail so they invested in the bass pro and arena to keep the area a destination as more and more subsidized shopping centers open in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit potentially intercepting the majority of those that shop and dine near Independence Center.  Indy is basically doing everything in their power to avoid a Bannister Mall scenario.  The city has also totally brought back the square and is trying to bring back the western part of the city by taking in the KCMO schools etc (which was a huge risk to the other schools in the district, but so far has been a huge success).  All of this is totally ignored by the KC press and residents outside the area while KCK is praised for completely walking away from their city and building Village West.  VW would be the equivalent of Indy building all that stuff out near Highway 7 and 24 or something and just letting the mall area go to hell.  Independence has some of the best tourist attractions in metro KC and is typically on tourist's must see list while in KC, but again, the city is constantly ridiculed and looked down on by both the media and metro area residents.  Indy gained like 10k residents in the past 8 years.  That's remarkable considering what they are up against.  The press didn't mention this or look into why Indy may be growing again rather than losing people.  But the second KCK turns around and stops losing people I guarantee you there will be a big story in the Star about how KCK turned itself around.

If I lived in Overland Park, I would go to see a hockey or soccer game as a way to kill an evening with the family just as much as I would go a Tbones game in KCK.  Neither interest me all that much, but they would  be something to do with the family and are about the same distance from OP and so I don't get why KCK is now somehow god's gift to metro KC while Independence is still pretty much regularly insulted and ignored.  I know I'm excited about the Wizards Stadium even though it's in scary KCK.

I still would have called the team the KC Comets though.  Missouri Comets doesn't sound right at all.  My point is I doubt many JoCo people visit Indy for any reason and I doubt they ever will, so the name probably matters little from a marketing standpoint.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yea, I agree Independence is on the upswing, but the Crackerneck/arena development doesn't really do anything for me.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

When the real version of the sport only draws 10-15k, how many will the tacky arena league version draw? 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GRID wrote:Indy is basically doing everything in their power to avoid a Bannister Mall scenario.
Yeah, but have you seen 23rd and Noland? Noland Fashion Square? Kudos to them for saving their big honkin mall and luring a big ass Circuit City (har har), but there are definitely parts going to shit, too. I hadn't been in Indy for a long time and rolled through a few weeks ago... parts of it were very depressing.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They need to be called Independence Comets same with Hockey team called Independence Mavericks.