2010-2011 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 2010-2011 College Basketball Season

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: Speculation points to ... Shaka Smart (VCU),
An interesting take on this individual.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketb ... -next-step
The VCU coach may be making a million dollars or so next year still residing in Richmond and coaching the Rams, or he could be earning more than double that somewhere else — say at North Carolina State or Missouri.

Many expect the 33-year-old to jump at a lucrative offer and bolt VCU.

“I don't think there's a certainty at all,” said Akron head coach Keith Dambrot, who had Smart on his staff for a couple of years. “He doesn't care about money.”

Everyone cares about money.

But Smart is unique, in a subtle way that draws some comparisons to Butler coach Brad Stevens.

Forget about the fact he's mature beyond his years; he's smart, articulate and knows how to deal with everyone from players to coaches to the media. Smart keeps a diary and writes poetry. He dives for loose balls in the locker room and dances with his players.

“He's probably the most comfortable coach in his skin I've ever met,” said Denny Kuiper, an author and former high school and college coach in Michigan who has become a confidant of Smart's the last couple of years.

Stevens spurned the lucrative offer from Nike czar Phil Knight and Oregon a year ago to remain in the mid-major ranks. That's worked out just fine.

Add VCU senior athletic director Mike Ellis to that list. Not too long ago, Ellis made a pinky swear with Smart that he'd win at least 137 games and become the school's all-time winningest coach.

“As corny as it sounds,” Ellis said, “I really believe that pinky swear means something to him.”
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou set to hire Miami coach Frank Haith. Haith made the NIT quarterfinals this year, leading Miami to a 21-15 record and was 129-101 in seven seasons, with one NCAA appearance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/stor ... NHeadlines

Excited Mizzou fans?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Also, Lon Kruger is back in the Big 8, joining Oklahoma. And I didn't even think of this, but some think Frank Martin might bolt for Miami now that the job is open. I can't really see that happening, but I will guess that he may want to renegotiate his contract.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think Miami is willing to pay even what frank makes now. Still would be a great way for him to get a raise.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kim English is also leaving for pro ball. Probably Europe, not the NBA. He's not hiring an agent.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

810 said Bowers is going too. Not hiring an agent.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote: Mizzou set to hire Miami coach Frank Haith. Haith made the NIT quarterfinals this year, leading Miami to a 21-15 record and was 129-101 in seven seasons, with one NCAA appearance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/stor ... NHeadlines

Excited Mizzou fans?
As a KU fan, I love this hire!  :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not judging this too early. Ku fans had the same smarmy attitude towards martin and how they realize he can actually coach.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: I'm not judging this too early. Ku fans had the same smarmy attitude towards martin and how they realize he can actually coach.
I'm still not sold that Frank Martin can coach.  He can recruit for sure, but his team underperformed 2/3 of the season this year, only to be saved by Pullen.

Look at Haith's record in 7 seasons at Miami.  Nothing about that record warrants Mizzou hiring him.  Nothing at all.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Coach = x&o plus recruiting plus running a program.  Don't be dense.

No doubt he doesn't look sexy in his miami career.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: As a KU fan, I love this hire!  :lol:
That's a pretty typical Phognet attitude but, the quality of the hire notwithstanding,  it really doesn't help KU when their in conference rivals are down.  It's all too easy for Hawk fans to get overly excited about KU teams that cruise through a depleted big VII north, but they would benefit greatly from better competition even if it meant a couple of more losses per year.  I do not buy the Self choking line, when he had a complete team a couple of years ago, he won it all.  I don't think KU's teams the last few years since the NC were championship caliber teams.  This year's team  was a marginal final four team (when the Morris twins weren't on, there was really nobody to step up to the plate) but the Collins - Aldrich era had way too many pieces missing to ever have gotten to the championship.  This year's team got beat pretty badly up in Manhattan and it would have probably done them well to have played a more competitive Missouri team twice rather than the mediocre and sloppy team that emerged out of Columbia.  Think that way if you wish, but it doesn't help KU's program. 

As for the hire, it certainly is enigmatic to me.  All I can think that Alden was thinking is that Haith is a good coach trapped in a hopeless situation in Miami. Nonetheless, Alden could have gone safe and he could have gone for the home run on someone like Shaka Smart (equally risky but for other reasons) but he did neither, he picked a high risk project with a marginal record and, frankly, if this does not work out and fast for the Tigers, Alden will have some pretty serious explaining to do.    My guess is that it will ultimately cost him his job.  I have to believe he had a sound reason but the record doesn't make it look lke a good hire but time will tell.   
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Highlander wrote: That's a pretty typical Phognet attitude but, the quality of the hire notwithstanding,  it really doesn't help KU when their in conference rivals are down.  It's all too easy for Hawk fans to get overly excited about KU teams that cruise through a depleted big VII north, but they would benefit greatly from better competition even if it meant a couple of more losses per year.  I do not buy the Self choking line, when he had a complete team a couple of years ago, he won it all.  I don't think KU's teams the last few years since the NC were championship caliber teams.  This year's team  was a marginal final four team (when the Morris twins weren't on, there was really nobody to step up to the plate) but the Collins - Aldrich era had way too many pieces missing to ever have gotten to the championship.  This year's team got beat pretty badly up in Manhattan and it would have probably done them well to have played a more competitive Missouri team twice rather than the mediocre and sloppy team that emerged out of Columbia.  Think that way if you wish, but it doesn't help KU's program.   
I'd rather KU's tougher competition come from teams like Texas Tech, OU, Okie State, etc. than from Mizzou and KSU.  That's why I'm hoping Gillispie and Kruger turn those programs (Tech & OU) around and start giving KU better games. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Forwarded to me by a friend:
Several years ago, K-State built a beautiful PGA style golf course called
Colbert Hills.

KU, not wanting to be outdone, decided that they needed to build their own PGA-style golf course.

After it was built, KU brought in a PGA official to inspect their new course.

The PGA official went out to the course to look it over.

When he came back, he said to the KU people, "You realize there are only 14 holes. What's up with that?"

The KU people said, "We’re having trouble making the final four".
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Forwarded to me by a friend:
That's been told for years by KU fans, except its a Mizzou fan building the course, since they never play the "Final Four."

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Love those {insert team here}, {insert rival here} jokes....so original.

Here is one you probably never heard....how do you get a KU grad off your porch.....ehhhhhhh

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KU shut out of "one shining moment"....ouch.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCMax wrote: That's been told for years by KU fans, except its a Mizzou fan building the course, since they never play the "Final Four."
But MU already has an 18 hole golf course.
:)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KU fans....honest question...what is the best Self NBA success story?  I'm struggling.

Can the twins be apart from each other or will one just follow around the other more successful one so they don't have to be apart?  Not like they couldn't live on one NBA salary.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: KU fans....honest question...what is the best Self NBA success story?  I'm struggling.

Can the twins be apart from each other or will one just follow around the other more successful one so they don't have to be apart?  Not like they couldn't live on one NBA salary.
Mario Chalmers
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

For all the big college programs, KU probably puts out the worst NBA talent.  The only NBA star KU has is Pierce and maybe Chalmers.  Wilt Chamberlain is hard to top for all time talent though.

UNC, Duke, Memphis and Kentucky all have decent players in the NBA right now