2010 - 2011 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: 2010 - 2011 College Football Season

Post by eomaha.com »

Missouri can have the trophy.

and personally I think NU should forfeit the title game... I mean who wants to play UConn anyway?  I'd rather see them preview a Big 10 opponent in the Alamo/Insight.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You wrote Beebe didn't you e?  LOL, NU isn't getting the Alamo.  Lose that game and you better hope for insight.com.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

harbinger911 wrote: Congrats to MIZZOU winning their 40th game in 4 years.

The announcers kept mentioning "BIG 12 North Co-Champions" with NU?
Even though NU goes to the title game does MU get a trophy and rings for being "Co-Champs"?
Yes they get a trophy.  Yes the whole "co-division champs" thing is ridiculous.  Missouri fans (rightfully) mocked ku fans in 2007 and any nub fans who spoke up in 2008.  Any Missouri fan who trumpets their 2010 co-north championship is either hypocritical or a dumbass.

Nebraska won the north.  There is no "co" about it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

MU fan and I absolutely do not consider MU the north Champ or Co-Champ.
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

Really disappointed in the attendance at the MU KU game.  If this continues might as well move it back to campus sites.

Greg
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: MU fan and I absolutely do not consider MU the north Champ or Co-Champ.
Yea, not really co-champs, but at the end of the season, I think they are the best team in the north, if not the Big XII and are easily better than 2-loss Arkansas which is being touted as a BCS contender.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

gsmith601 wrote: Really disappointed in the attendance at the MU KU game.  If this continues might as well move it back to campus sites.

Greg
Frankly I am surprised they got as many as they did.  I don't think MU or KU are anywhere near the sort of football fanbases that you can count on 80k fans to come out and watch a game involving a 3 win team. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

gsmith601 wrote: Really disappointed in the attendance at the MU KU game.  If this continues might as well move it back to campus sites.

Greg
Yea, I can't see it being able to stay at Arrowhead.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Yea, I can't see it being able to stay at Arrowhead.
I bet it still made money. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Frankly I am surprised they got as many as they did.  I don't think MU or KU are anywhere near the sort of football fanbases that you can count on 80k fans to come out and watch a game involving a 3 win team. 
KU's poor season was the issue here.  Would it have sold out in Lawrence?  I kind of doubt it, despite the rivalry.  KU will be better next year and Mizzou, if Egnew, Gabbert and A. Smith do not go pro, should be pre-season top ten next year.  I think the poor attendance was a predictible outcome of a rebuilding year at KU and it's not symptomatic of the quality of the rivalry or Arrowhead's drawing power.  I like the game there and hope it remains there. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: KU will be better next year
We set a pretty low bar for that to come true.  :x  We played what 6-7 quarters of good football this year? 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: We set a pretty low bar for that to come true.   :x  We played what 6-7 quarters of good football this year? 
I have to say that I have not followed the Hawks much this year so I'm just going off the large number of underclassmen who played in the game on Saturday.  Mizzou is mostly juniors and sophomores but KU had a lot of true freshmen playing and those seemed to be the ones who were more impressive, particularly that freshman running back (cannot remember name). 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: We set a pretty low bar for that to come true.   :x  We played what 6-7 quarters of good football this year?  
I believe that's exactly what KU fans said when the team went 2-10 (which is worse than 3-9) in Mark Mangino's first year.  Sadly, for KU fans, Mangino wasn't able recover from that 2-10 season and he never win a Bowl game or anything while coaching at Kansas.

And Turner Gil went 3-9 in his first season.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I seem to remember so many fans here chiding ksu and ksu for their game at arrowhead. Apology accepted.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: I seem to remember so many fans here chiding ksu and ksu for their game at arrowhead. Apology accepted.
Hey our three win effort still netted us twice the arrowhead payday as you get from farmageddon. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Where you guys in 2007, 2008, and 2009 saying the game shouldn't be at Arrowhead?  So, what is different this year?  A 3-9 Kansas team.

And, by the way, it is estimated that MU had about 35,000 of the 56,000 fans.  Total attendance for KSU/ISU?  38,468
KC is the way to be!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Yea, not really co-champs, but at the end of the season, I think they are the best team in the north, if not the Big XII and are easily better than 2-loss Arkansas which is being touted as a BCS contender.

MU might be there yet, already ranked ahead of NU in the BCS and NU will probably lose to Oklahoma. Which would be a fine way to close out that rivalry. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AllThingsKC wrote: I believe that's exactly what KU fans said when the team went 2-10 (which is worse than 3-9) in Mark Mangino's first year.  Sadly, for KU fans, Mangino wasn't able recover from that 2-10 season and he never win a Bowl game or anything while coaching at Kansas.

And Turner Gil went 3-9 in his first season.
Turner Gil is following Mangino's success (50-48) and should be harvesting his Orange Bowl recruits.  Mangino followed never-bowl-eligible-in-5-years Terry Allen (21-35) and took 3 years to flush out the middle school level talent.  Exactly the same.&

One could make the same comparison for Ron Prince starting at 7-6 vs. Bill Snyder starting at 1-10 (which is worse than 7-6).  Apples to Orange Bowls.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hey our three win effort still netted us twice the arrowhead payday as you get from farmageddon. 
given it's both team's biggest game of the year w/ double the alumni living here vs. what live here for KSU and ISU not sure that holds much water.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Farmageddon is a joke.  Why is that game still played at Arrowhead?  There's absolutely no reason for it to be there.  I can't imagine either teams' fans are happy it's there.