TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by bobbyhawks »

So, Big 12 = $21.5 million per team...
and SEC = $22.5 million per team.

I know I am oversimplifying things, but I also think it is misleading to equate MU's doubling of its income to the switch to the SEC. Big 12 schools have made similar jumps in income.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Acutally, I think the Big 12 numbers are higher because WV and TCU don't get full shares yet. That leaves more for the other 8 schools.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AllThingsKC wrote:Acutally, I think the Big 12 numbers are higher because WV and TCU don't get full shares yet. That leaves more for the other 8 schools.
Not the way I figured it. 215/10=21.5. I just did the basic math of total revenue/# of teams. If you factor in that WVU and TCU are being phased in, you can take the ~$19 million cited in the article between them out of the $215 million. That leaves (215-19)/(10-2) = $24.5 million/team. From that perspective, those who stayed in the Big 12 average out to making more than the average SEC team. I realize it isn't a completely even split, but I was just pointing out that the article seemed to imply that MU was making more money than they could have in the Big 12 (when in fact the average is comperable). In my opinion, the phasing in of WVU and TCU should not be considered when comparing the revenue. The only thing that really matters is the total revenue per team.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

pash wrote:No, what matters is who gets what. The Big 12 doesn't pool all of its revene and split it evenly, does it? If Texas is still getting an outsized piece of the pie, dividing total revenue by number of teams is meaningless.

And kind of the point as to why MU (CU, NU and TAM) left.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

shinatoo wrote:
pash wrote:No, what matters is who gets what. The Big 12 doesn't pool all of its revene and split it evenly, does it? If Texas is still getting an outsized piece of the pie, dividing total revenue by number of teams is meaningless.

And kind of the point as to why MU (CU, NU and TAM) left.
KU got 300k less from the Big 12 this year than MU did from the SEC (20.8 vs. 21.1). Just sayin' that so far, there isn't the great divide that has been promised. MU's overall revenue increased 50%, but KU still had $17 million more than MU in overall revenue. People keep making blind statements about the SEC being a financial windfall, but they aren't comparing apples to apples. The promise is that the next SEC contract will create more of a divide, but so far, it isn't really there that I can tell (from KU's perspective).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

bobbyhawks wrote:The promise is that the next SEC contract will create more of a divide, but so far, it isn't really there that I can tell (from KU's perspective).
This is pretty accurate. There hasn't been much a difference....yet. One reason why MU (and others) left was because of the LHN. The SEC Network will launch in August and Clay Travis projects it will make $600 million in the first year, if the SEC does everything right. So, it's likely we're start seeing a bigger increase by July 2015.

Just being in the SEC marginally helped Mizzou's revenue. But the SEC Network is expected to make it rain.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

harbinger911 wrote:The move also got MU 10X more national exposure with SEC Football.
Yep, Mizzou athletics has had a pretty high profile in the last few weeks.
Last edited by chaglang on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

harbinger911 wrote:The move also got MU 10X more national exposure with SEC Football.
The thing is, the first year they had exposure because it was new. The second year they had exposure because they were winning. If they continue to win, they will have the exposure just as they did when they were winning in the Big 12. But if they fade (we will see if the SEC East is any better next year than it was this year) in a 14 team conference, and losing DGB in addition to those they lost off this year's team, chances are good they will, they will be off the radar. How much exposure does Kentucky football get? The Mississippi schools? The same will be true of Texas A&M post JF.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Haven't followed too closely so wondering the number of draftees from each conference? I did see a report this is the first year since the mid 30's that no player from Univ. of Texas was drafted.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Haven't followed too closely so wondering the number of draftees from each conference? I did see a report this is the first year since the mid 30's that no player from Univ. of Texas was drafted.
SEC -- 49
ACC -- 42
Pac-12 -- 34
Big Ten -- 30
Big 12 -- 17
Mountain West --16
American -- 12
Conference USA -- 9
Independents -- 9
MAC -- 8
Sun Belt -- 4
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

pretty pathetic showing by the BigXII.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I would say, "I told you so," but when you're right as often as I am, you don't have to keep saying it.

What an upgrade.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AllThingsKC wrote:I would say, "I told you so," but when you're right as often as I am, you don't have to keep saying it.

What an upgrade.
I'm sorry, what are you talking about?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

National perception of the Big 12.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AllThingsKC wrote:National perception of the Big 12.
We care about the national perception, why?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Well, clearly the Big 12 doesn't care about national perception. ;-) How's that working out for them?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

worry more about stopping the run than national perception.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Who's worried?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I don't really know what the national perception of the BigXII is. I assume we're talking about the Big 5 (SEC, BXII, B10, ACC, Pac12). The perception is likely consistent with how Kansas City is perceived. flyover country. In reality, it's quite a bit better than people on the Coasts care to acknowledge.

Academically, I imagine the BigXII is viewed as 4th. B10, Pac12, ACC, BXII, SEC.

Athletically, BXII is right in the middle.
--Basketball: B10/ACC, BXII, Pac12, SEC
--Football: SEC, BXII/Pac12/B10, ACC

Monetarily, the BigXII institutions are on par with everybody else, right there in the $20-25mil range per institution.