TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by AllThingsKC »

"The state issue"? You mean the Big 12 moving the tourney from KC due to not having a member school in the state?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Then, yes, you are probably right. I think the Big 12 will be making a huge mistake if they did that, but that wouldn't be much of a surprise considering how mistake-prone the Big 12 has been.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Highlander wrote:
But the SEC - it's Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, South Carolina - I'm sorry but that's just not the direction I want Missouri headed. I'm much more interested in being a little more progressive or at least neutral rather than just backwards.
At the same time, not everyone in the state cares about Big State collegiate sports to that level, and don't associate people who live in "Missouri" with what conference Mizzou is in. I think western Missouri/Kansas is more obsessed with it than we are over here. Over there you have KU, MU, K State with their flags-a-flappin, over here Mizzou and Illinois don't have that friction, and I forget that I even live in "Missouri" sometimes until I drive down I-44. Obviously it's more of a pro-sports angle.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

warwickland wrote:
Highlander wrote:
But the SEC - it's Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, South Carolina - I'm sorry but that's just not the direction I want Missouri headed. I'm much more interested in being a little more progressive or at least neutral rather than just backwards.
At the same time, not everyone in the state cares about Big State collegiate sports to that level, and don't associate people who live in "Missouri" with what conference Mizzou is in. I think western Missouri/Kansas is more obsessed with it than we are over here. Over there you have KU, MU, K State with their flags-a-flappin, over here Mizzou and Illinois don't have that friction, and I forget that I even live in "Missouri" sometimes until I drive down I-44. Obviously it's more of a pro-sports angle.
STL is a baseball town, college sports come after Rams and Blues, kU Basketball is treated the 4th pro sports franchise in the KC area
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

NCAA Wresting Committee recommends Big 12 lose automatic qualifying status
The NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee has recommended that the Big 12 not receive pre-allocated spots into the NCAA Tournament beginning next season.

In a recently released report from the meetings, the committee states the reasoning is the Big 12 only has four wrestling schools — Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and West Virginia — and providing pre-allocated spots to the conference tournament creates a competitive advantage.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

@McMurphyESPN 1h
WVU’s Luck said in 2011 if B12 blew up, B12/Big East would have merged: Bay, KU, KSU, ISU, TCU, UL, UC, RU, WVU, USF, UCF, UConn
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Which would have had similar stability as Ice Cream in hell.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote:NCAA Wresting Committee recommends Big 12 lose automatic qualifying status
The NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee has recommended that the Big 12 not receive pre-allocated spots into the NCAA Tournament beginning next season.

In a recently released report from the meetings, the committee states the reasoning is the Big 12 only has four wrestling schools — Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and West Virginia — and providing pre-allocated spots to the conference tournament creates a competitive advantage.
Makes sense to me. No reason a 4-team conference should get an automatic bid. Think the Big 10 Hockey conference only has 6 teams. They still get a bid. Seems like a reasonable threshold. It's a bit sad because OU, OSU and ISU are all historically good wrestling schools. Would be nice if they could add on two smaller schools to form some sort of artificial conference for wrestling only.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

WSPanic wrote:Would be nice if they could add on two smaller schools to form some sort of artificial conference for wrestling only.
This is basically what I said last year, but some posters scoffed at the idea that the Big 12 would need to add schools (like Mizzou, for example) to continue to be a strong conference in wrestling.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote:
WSPanic wrote:Would be nice if they could add on two smaller schools to form some sort of artificial conference for wrestling only.
This is basically what I said last year, but some posters scoffed at the idea that the Big 12 would need to add schools (like Mizzou, for example) to continue to be a strong conference in wrestling.

To clarify - I would definitely scoff at adding Mizzou. Wouldn't let that sh!t-show of an athletic department anywhere near Big 12 institutions. Too rapey for my taste.

But, reputable schools like Friends University or Missouri State would be more than welcome.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

WSPanic wrote: I would definitely scoff at adding Mizzou.
I'm not suggesting the Big 12 add Mizzou wrestling. That would be a bad deal for Mizzou. Why would Mizzou want to join a conference in wresting that is losing automatic qualifier status?

Mizzou (wrestling) is fine where it is. But, as I said last year, the Big 12 would need to add schools at least as affiliate members in wrestling to help fill the void that Mizzou left. So, it would be a big benefit to the Big 12 to add Mizzou, but there's not much of a benefit to Mizzou to join the Big 12. Either way, the Big 12 is weaker wrestling conference without Mizzou.....like I told Big 12 fans a year ago would be case. Looks like the NCAA committee agrees.
WSPanic wrote:But, reputable schools like Friends University or Missouri State would be more than welcome.
Aim high, Big 12. Aim high. Good thing you Big 12 fans are used to your conference having to add schools out of pure desperation. What a great conference.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Seems like the big 12 just needs to drop wrestling along with football and focus on what they do well.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote:
WSPanic wrote: I would definitely scoff at adding Mizzou.
I'm not suggesting the Big 12 add Mizzou wrestling. That would be a bad deal for Mizzou. Why would Mizzou want to join a conference in wresting that is losing automatic qualifier status?

Mizzou (wrestling) is fine where it is. But, as I said last year, the Big 12 would need to add schools at least as affiliate members in wrestling to help fill the void that Mizzou left. So, it would be a big benefit to the Big 12 to add Mizzou, but there's not much of a benefit to Mizzou to join the Big 12. Either way, the Big 12 is weaker wrestling conference without Mizzou.....like I told Big 12 fans a year ago would be case. Looks like the NCAA committee agrees.
WSPanic wrote:But, reputable schools like Friends University or Missouri State would be more than welcome.
Aim high, Big 12. Aim high. Good thing you Big 12 fans are used to your conference having to add schools out of pure desperation. What a great conference.
The fact that you responded seriously to my post is clear evidence that you have gone around the bend - and may be in need of professional help. Get a grip, man.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It can be difficult to tell when someone is joking in this thread because there's no shortage of funny but far-fetched suggestions in this thread.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

THEY DID IT!

The SEC Network will be on every major cable and satellite provider. The SEC surpassed its goal of having the SECN in 75 million homes by August 14. As of now, the SEC Network will be available in 87 million homes....and counting. That's 90% of homes that have ESPN.

So, while the Longhorn Network, Big Ten Network and Pac-12 Network have been around for years and STILL are not on every major provider, the SEC Network will be on major provider... and it hasn't even launched yet.

Here are a few links:

Every SEC school will make more TV money than Texas, Notre Dame

SEC Network poised to be fifth most lucrative sports network in country

SEC Network revenue is impressive
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AllThingsKC wrote:THEY DID IT!

The SEC Network will be on every major cable and satellite provider. The SEC surpassed its goal of having the SECN in 75 million homes by August 14. As of now, the SEC Network will be available in 87 million homes....and counting. That's 90% of homes that have ESPN.

So, while the Longhorn Network, Big Ten Network and Pac-12 Network have been around for years and STILL are not on every major provider, the SEC Network will be on major provider... and it hasn't even launched yet.

Here are a few links:

Every SEC school will make more TV money than Texas, Notre Dame

SEC Network poised to be fifth most lucrative sports network in country

SEC Network revenue is impressive
Either wiki is lying, or the Big 10 Network was available to 90 million homes whenever that entry was posted. I don't think it is really fair comparing what LHN has done to a 14 team network either. Congrats on having ESPN bend over the networks for you. I hate these networks. It is the sports equivalent of having Fox News sponsor an RNC Network.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

bobbyhawks wrote:I hate these networks. It is the sports equivalent of having Fox News sponsor an RNC Network.
agreed. they shouldn't be allowed, but ... money.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

N.C.A.A. May Let Its Top Conferences Play by Their Own Rules
Under the proposal, the N.C.A.A. would clear the way for sports powerhouses like Alabama and Ohio State to pay their athletes a few thousand dollars more than what the current scholarship rules allow, loosen restrictions against agents and advisers, and revamp recruiting rules to ease contact with top prospects.

The so-called Big 5 conferences, with their glittering facilities and huge stadiums, have long existed in their own tier on the college sports landscape. But the vote Thursday would make their first-class status official, granting them greater autonomy from the N.C.A.A. rules that are currently applied evenly across 32 conferences and nearly 350 institutions in the N.C.A.A.’s top division....

If the board rejects the model, it could prompt a more severe break. Big 5 commissioners have suggested that in that event, they would consider much more drastic measures: departing from the N.C.A.A. and taking their teams — and the billions in revenue they produce — to a so-called Division IV.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm not sure if I like that or not.