TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: Lets see how many future B12 tourney's KC gets.
Well, considering the Big 12 has already agreed to have the tournament for at least 4 more years in KC, I say it's very likely KC will host future Big 12 tourneys.
Highlander wrote:That is a huge event that is definitely at risk....even if it comes back at, it will be a diminished rate of occurrence.
So if the Big 12 has already decided twice since Mizzou left to keep the tourney in KC, why should Mizzou get the blame if the tourney leaves KC EIGHT YEARS after Mizzou left? The tourney wasn't always in KC when Mizzou was in the Big 12. And somehow KC survived.
Highlander wrote:One thing for sure, you won't see any SEC events in KC.
SEC events in KC? Not likely. But of the 2 of the 5 power conferences will be holding their basketball tournaments IN MISSOURI this March. Something that wouldn't have happened if Mizzou stayed in the Big 12. This will no doubt be a big boost the state economy that you're so worried about.
Highlander wrote:The B12 football conference title is, of course, never going to be at Arrowhead again. And while it no longer exist, one of the reasons it doesn't exist is because Missouri 's threatened exit of the b12 was a catalyst for the departure of Nebraska and others which made having two divisions irrelevant. If the B12 ever returns to 12 teams, don't look for a championship game in KC.
The championship game returns to the Big 12 in 2017. It will be played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. It will never be in KC again because AT&T Stadium is a much better venue than Arrowhead. But, I guess that's Mizzou's fault also, right? Mizzou really needs to upgrade Arrowhead.

It's not Mizzou's fault if the Big 12 is running their conference in such a way that schools want to leave and no Power 5 school wants to join.
KC is the way to be!
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Last thing I'll chime in about the insane continued hand wringing about the basketball tournament:

Before Missouri left the Big 12 the tournament was held in KC for 11 of 16 years
The Big 12 is currently committed to have the tournament in KC for at least 8 consecutive years of the post-Missouri Big 12 era (though 2020)
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I noticed that Session 1 of the Big 12 tourney are selling lots of tickets for 6 bucks plus fees on Stubhub. Pretty cheap day of entertainment if you are interesting in watching basketball.

https://www.stubhub.com/big-12-tourname ... =price+asc
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Everything old is new again, as Texas and Oklahoma contact the SEC about joining.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Oh shit. So Texas screwing us all is back again?? If this happens we have to poach some big Mountain West schools like BYU into and Utah St into the Big 12 at that point
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 am If that happens, I suspect KU (the lone remaining school with a marquee major sports program - basketball)...
I'd guess Baylor would have a problem with this statement.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

OU and Texas will become irrelevant if they move to SEC, will basically become Nebraska
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

I figured something like this was gonna happen sooner or later but I was hoping later, much later but the nightmare that should surprise no one is real and happening again. Highly unlikely but ksu & ku going to Big 10 would be best case for the local schools if this plays out. Big 12 never gained its prestige back after the first realignment a decade ago.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 pm
Highlander wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 am If that happens, I suspect KU (the lone remaining school with a marquee major sports program - basketball)...
I'd guess Baylor would have a problem with this statement.
Baylor deserves a lot of credit for winning an NCAA basketball championship but they are not an elite basketball program.

I could see the Big XII adding BYU and maybe Houston or Cincinnati to survive but I could also see KU being the next team to leave regardless of what the conference does - they would be the most highly sought after team of the remaining B12 teams.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:55 pm Oh shit. So Texas screwing us all is back again?? If this happens we have to poach some big Mountain West schools like BYU into and Utah St into the Big 12 at that point
If that happens, I suspect KU (the lone remaining school with a marquee major sports program - basketball) would leave the B12 also moving to the B1G or ACC and WVU might leave as well. It would not be good for the B12 and I'm not even sure the conference would survive. Not good for KC.
Oh dude if KU leaves the Big 12 then it’s over for the conference. Every team will leave it. K-State will be in the PAC-12 or somewhere even worse.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If you’re a Kansas City fan (which I’m assuming everyone here is) then you need to praying and hoping like never before that the Big 12 stays intact.

The BEST case scenario if Texas and OU leave is that Big 12 quickly fills the gap with BYU, Houston, and a couple other strong mid-major schools. Then we hope KU gets denied from leaving if they try to leave.

I don’t think I have to tell anyone here- but the Big 12 tournament is the marquee sports event of the year for downtown. If the Big 12 goes down, so does a big chunk of our downtown sports economy. Even if some version of the Big 12 stays, if KU jumps ship that tournament will never be as hyped and packed here. Hope that this all works itself out and KU stays at all costs for us.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out - in the past Oklahoma State has tied themselves to OU's movement and state legislators may not approve OU moving to the SEC without OSU. Texas A&M wants to be the only Texas school in the SEC and I've read where they have an 'agreement' with Florida, Georgia and Missouri to vote against this expansion. And unfortunately KU and K-State probably won't be moving to a different conference unless they're tied together.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

The KS Board of Regents changed the policy several years ago regarding KU and K-State staying in the same conference. KU is an AAU institution which is very important to the B1G....K-State is not. KU would most likely get an offer from the B1G because of it's basketball program. Mich. St, Ohio St, Michigan and a few other schools in the B1G have good basketball programs (Indiana at one time, but not really anymore), but not a Blue Blood program like KU. The ACC has UNC and Duke, SEC has Kentucky, PAC 12 has UCLA.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

this is either a leverage play by OU/UT or they are gone. the big 12 can't keep them there if they want to leave and there aren't four votes to keep texas out of the SEC. a&m knows this, that's why they leaked the news when they did.

kansas city is a big loser. even in a dream (for kansas city) scenario where missouri bails on the SEC for the b1g with kansas, they're not going to schedule the b1g champyship in kansas city on a regular basis.

replacing OU/UT with replacement schools on the BYU/etc tier list, the big 12 probably loses something like 60+% of the media rights payouts to the schools. it's a huge hit. i don't think they can keep kansas, oklahoma state, or iowa state under that scenario if any of those three get an offer to one of the other major conferences. you get down to the threshold where there's no conference left to owe buyout fees to pretty damn fast.

while kansas and oklahoma state are probably the two schools i'd be least worried about right now, i wouldn't be zero worried about them. kansas basketball being a "blue blood" program is a footnote in this stuff at best because football is driving the bus (see: decimation of the big east in realignment I). kentucky and louisville are head and shoulders above everyone in basketball revenue, like 150% the level of kansas, and neither would be top twenty in football revenue. also...........bad time to be staring down basketball sanctions.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Basketball means near nothing in this playout.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:07 am Basketball means near nothing in this playout.
I don't agree with that. Football does drive "most" of the revenue, but if the B1G had an opportunity to bring in UNC or Duke, you don't think they would? KU basketball brings in a ton of $, especially since a lot of their games are on ESPN and always showcased nationally. KU basketball and their tradition are huge. Plus being an AAU institution, they would fit the B1G's standards. Now if KU did get an invite to the B1G, I'm sure there would be some stipulations that required their football stadium to be renovated (which is already in the plans). I think they are looking at spending $250m to renovate Memorial Stadium and I'm guessing they would fast track it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I'm just curious when the second shoes drops on realignment and conferences start kicking teams out. Vandy brings nothing. I'm not sure why people like college football so much really. Only 2 or 3 teams win the championship every year. KU or MU will NEVER win a national championship in the current setup, unlike a few decades ago where a small team like KSU had a shot. OSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU. boring.