TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat wrote:KC's needs are part of Missouri's interests. If there were a threat of the Big XII imploding at this point (there is not) then Missouri moving would be in its best interests. As it is, this move, and the potential damage it would cause to the economy of one of the two largest cities in the state that the university serves would be a reckless abandonment of the primary interests of the university.
Yes, the KC economy is part of Missouri's interest. However, it is difficult to argue either side because we're dealing with a lot of "what ifs" and no guarantees. So, let me deal with a few scenarios...

1. Missouri stays, Big 12 Tourney leaves. There's still no guarantee that the BBall tourney stays in KC. There's still no guarantee that the Big 12 stays together. In my opinion, a 6-year TV deal is laughable when the other major conference have 20-year TV deals. To me, a 6-year TV deal is not stable. Plus, OU and UT have the resources to leave whenever they want.

2. Missouri leaves, Big 12 Tourney stays. As a Kansas Citian, I would certainly join KU, KSU and ISU in whatever petition they would have to keep the tourney in KC. I still don't see the Big 12 having their tourney in a non-Big 12 state, but if KU/KSU/ISU can make a strong enough case for it, more power to them. Of course, it wouldn't be to same to me without Missouri.

3. Missouri stays, Big 12 Tourney stays. This is the best option for KC. But, I also think it is the least likely. I think at some point, one or the other will leave.

4. Missouri leaves, Big 12 Tourney leaves. This is probably the most likely option. I have no doubt that KC would be able to land an NCAA Regional tourney in the absence of the Big 12. It's not the same as the Big 12 and no local schools would be involved, but that is a realistic option for KC to replace lost revenue. Also, I believe KC and the Sprint Center will continue to make money without the Big 12 tourney. But, just in case, perhaps the city should try even hard to land an NHL/NBA team?

If KC's economy breaks because there is no 4-day basketball tourney, then it's not a very strong economy, is it?
cityscape wrote: I actually think they'll be overshadowed, much like KU would be overshadowed if they went to the ACC or Big East (basketball).
...or if KU stays in the Big 12.

kcmetro wrote:f they end up in the SEC, KU will probably eventually end up in the B1G if the Big 12 falls apart one of these years.
Because so many conference are trying to get KU to join right now?
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Allthings, as long as KU and MU are both in the Big 12, the bball tourney isn't leaving KC. OKC and Dallas might get it every now and then, but KC will always be the main site.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

every conference has a "Texas". mu fans seem to be right behind a&m in inferiority complex.

word is big 12 is looking now at 13 year instead of 6 year commitments
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

KCPowercat wrote:every conference has a "Texas". mu fans seem to be right behind a&m in inferiority complex.

Who is the "Texas" of the Pac 12? Big 10? SEC? Those conferences don't have a school willing to push their conference to the brink of collapse for it's own personal interests.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcmetro wrote:Allthings, as long as KU and MU are both in the Big 12, the bball tourney isn't leaving KC. OKC and Dallas might get it every now and then, but KC will always be the main site.
I hope you're right, metro. But, I don't trust Texas. I don't trust the 6-year deal. I don't trust the Big 12. I could see the Big 12 pulling it from KC just to spite Missouri or because Texas said so. The Tourney is most attended and makes the most money when it's in KC. So, the Big 12 would be foolish to move it for any reason.

So, if Missouri does leave, I hope KU can make a strong case for keeping it in KC. I'd even join KU in their efforts.

KCPowercat wrote:every conference has a "Texas". mu fans seem to be right behind a&m in inferiority complex.

A 13-year deal is much better, but still a joke. As far as the MU fan inferiority complex goes...not every conference has a Texas. If a school wants to leave the SEC, do you know what the exit fee is? It's $0 because no one wants to leave the SEC. And speaking of fans with inferiority complexes, uh....
KCPowercat wrote:I hope all mu fans in kc realize how this will hurt us locally......and for what?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dublin wrote:

Who is the "Texas" of the Pac 12? Big 10? SEC? Those conferences don't have a school willing to push their conference to the brink of collapse for it's own personal interests.
you are describing MU
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
kcmetro wrote:Allthings, as long as KU and MU are both in the Big 12, the bball tourney isn't leaving KC. OKC and Dallas might get it every now and then, but KC will always be the main site.
I hope you're right, metro. But, I don't trust Texas. I don't trust the 6-year deal. I don't trust the Big 12. I could see the Big 12 pulling it from KC just to spite Missouri or because Texas said so. The Tourney is most attended and makes the most money when it's in KC. So, the Big 12 would be foolish to move it for any reason.

So, if Missouri does leave, I hope KU can make a strong case for keeping it in KC. I'd even join KU in their efforts.

A 13-year deal is much better, but still a joke. As far as the MU fan inferiority complex goes...not every conference has a Texas. If a school wants to leave the SEC, do you know what the exit fee is? It's $0 because no one wants to leave the SEC. And speaking of fans with inferiority complexes, uh....
KCPowercat wrote:I hope all mu fans in kc realize how this will hurt us locally......and for what?
unclear how pointing out this move would hurt our local economy is a complex....??
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: you are describing MU
So, if Mizzou leaves, the Big 12 is dead?
KCPowercat wrote:
unclear how pointing out this move would hurt our local economy is a complex....??
Sounds whiny to me.
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

KCPowercat wrote:you are describing MU
Really? You really believe MU leaving would be the end of the Big 12? Seriously?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so be it....I want mu to stay for many reasons...and I don't think I've heard from an mu fan yet the big benefit they will get with this move.....spite?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dublin wrote:
Really? You really believe MU leaving would be the end of the Big 12? Seriously?
not what you posted. Only school pushing right now is mu.
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

KCPowercat wrote:
dublin wrote:
Actually, that is what I posted. And you didn't answer the question. But I'll go ahead and respond to your post anyway.

MU not "pushing" anything. MU is weighing options. MU is throwing what little weight they have in maybe making Texas make concessions.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:so be it....I want mu to stay for many reasons...and I don't think I've heard from an mu fan yet the big benefit they will get with this move.....spite?

I'm surprised I disagree with you so much about this topic. I usually agree with your assessments of various topics. But, I think you couldn't be more wrong. Here's why:

1. I think the Big 12 continues without Mizzou. The only way I can see the Big 12 imploding is if Texas or Oklahoma leaves...which they certainly have the means to do so.

2. Spite would be a foolish benefit to MU, if that's the only reason why they want to move. I'm sure they have looked at the proposed TV deals, expected revenue, expected donations, expected stadium renovation plans, fan feedback, stability, etc and decided the SEC was the better fit. Or, at least that getting out of the Big 12 is the better option, it may not be SEC.

You seem to be looking at this through your KSU-colored glasses. But, that's ok. Because I'm probably looking at through my MU-color glasses. So, it all balances out.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Oh, and I think Kansas City would be fine, too.
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:so be it....I want mu to stay for many reasons...and I don't think I've heard from an mu fan yet the big benefit they will get with this move.....spite?

I'm surprised I disagree with you so much about this topic. I usually agree with your assessments of various topics. But, I think you couldn't be more wrong. Here's why:

1. I think the Big 12 continues without Mizzou. The only way I can see the Big 12 imploding is if Texas or Oklahoma leaves...which they certainly have the means to do so.

2. Spite would be a foolish benefit to MU, if that's the only reason why they want to move. I'm sure they have looked at the proposed TV deals, expected revenue, expected donations, expected stadium renovation plans, fan feedback, stability, etc and decided the SEC was the better fit. Or, at least that getting out of the Big 12 is the better option, it may not be SEC.

You seem to be looking at this through your KSU-colored glasses. But, that's ok. Because I'm probably looking at through my MU-color glasses. So, it all balances out.
KCP isn't interested in an actual discussion on the merits of MU staying or leaving. He is more interested in stirring the pot and riling up the MU fans. Troll 101. eomaha would be proud.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

dublin wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote: KCP isn't interested in an actual discussion on the merits of MU staying or leaving. He is more interested in stirring the pot and riling up the MU fans. Troll 101. eomaha would be proud.
In his defense, I've never known him to troll. I've seen him talk smack, yes. But, we've all done that. I think he really is concerned about key areas of this topic and how it affects his city, his state, and his school. They are all very valid concerns. I disagree with him about the expected outcome if XYZ happens. But, I think they are his legit concerns.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dublin wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
dublin wrote: You really believe MU leaving would be the end of the Big 12? Seriously?
Actually, that is what I posted. And you didn't answer the question. But I'll go ahead and respond to your post anyway.

MU not "pushing" anything. MU is weighing options. MU is throwing what little weight they have in maybe making Texas make concessions.
you posted brink of collapse. No mu leaving won't kill the big 12....easily replaced.

I'm all for the best deal and long term stability of the conference....would suck to lose mu and I think mu fans would hate it as well....fans are way too into emotions and spite right now in my opinion.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

The conference will survive without MU, but it will not be a strong, from a population point of view as well as geographic continuity. There are only so many schools out there to replace current Big XII schools with, and Missouri provides continuity to a few of those schools. If the conference signs away TV rights for 6 years or longer, the conference will survive for 6 years or longer, and chances are better than not that after that time, the superconference thing will have dies down. Right now, the only thing standing between the big XII and stability is Missouri, and to argue otherwise is disingenuous.
AllThingsKC wrote:[

Your right. Yet it appears that Missouri is currently choosing between smart and foolish and is hopefully not over valuing fan feedback, which is based more on winning the short term game of realignment than the long term game of what is best for the school and the state.

Here is one more thing- if Missouri were to stay and, in the future, the conference were to implode, how would MU be left out?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dublin wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:

KCP isn't interested in an actual discussion on the merits of MU staying or leaving. He is more interested in stirring the pot and riling up the MU fans. Troll 101. eomaha would be proud.
yes....I started the forum 8 years ago and posted 24,000 times....all in anticipation of this moment.....to stir up mu fans

my intentions are clear....I want what's best for kc, my school, and desire traditions and rivalries to continue....I think mu would regret moving to the sec for many of these reasons and I hope they stay.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat wrote:Right now, the only thing standing between the big XII and stability is Missouri, and to argue otherwise is disingenuous.
Then why not let Missouri leave so the other 8+2(or 4) schools can stand united with each other?

Your right. Yet it appears that Missouri is currently choosing between smart and foolish and is hopefully not over valuing fan feedback, which is based more on winning the short term game of realignment than the long term game of what is best for the school and the state.

Here is one more thing- if Missouri were to stay and, in the future, the conference were to implode, how would MU be left out?
I'm pretty sure the pro-SEC MU fans understand that Mizzou probably isn't winning the NC in the SEC anytime soon. And even if Mizzou goes 1-8 in SEC games next year, that's better than going 1-8 in the Big 12. Just ask Kansas. I think the reason there are many pro-SEC MU fans is because they expect the program to improve over years, but not over night.

And if MU stays only to have the Big 12 implode, it could be too late to join the Big Ten or SEC because it's safe to assume they will either not want to expand or will already have someone in MU's place. That is how MU could be left out.