TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: THE BIG 12 GOES KABLOOEY!!!1!1!!!!1!! Everybody panic

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KC-wildcat wrote: 3) be more competitive in football, theoretically.  SEC is unarguably the best conference year in and year out.
4) be able to continue reaping the benefits of its investment in basketball.  SEC is arguably the worst basketball conference.  Big XII is arguably top 2-3.    
So they'll get better in football by going to a better football conference and get better in basketball by going to a worse basketball conference?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: There is no way KU is getting a Pac Ten invite unless UT and OU are already in the fold. KU is simply a replacement for A&M if A&M bolts for the SEC.
Sounds like ATM is already out of the picture for the P10.  It makes total sense - he comes up here and gives Perkins an ultimatum today, sign now or never, and Beebe's salvage plan is toast.  
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: So they'll get better in football by going to a better football conference and get better in basketball by going to a worse basketball conference?
No, I said that staying in the Big XII would be better for A&M because they'd be more competitive in football.  SEC is a tough conference.  A&M can't even beat the North schools.  Not sure how'd they fare against LSU, Bama, Auburn, Florida, etc. 

On the other hand, I believe that playing in a better basketball conference is advantageous.  NCAA tourny bids are assigned, in large part, according to conference RPI.  The good conferences get more teams into the field.  good conferences are on TV a lot.  Thus, I think programs in the Big East, Big XII, ACC, (even middle of the road programs) are better situated than teams in the SEC. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: No, I said that staying in the Big XII would be better for A&M because they'd be more competitive in football.  SEC is a tough conference.  A&M can't even beat the North schools.  Not sure how'd they fare against LSU, Bama, Auburn, Florida, etc. 
I do kind of think that ATM might fare a little better not playing also ran to UT.  If they were the only Texas school in the SEC, I have to think a lot of Texas recruits would be excited about that and ATM would have a little more advantage over all the other schools that recruit there not named UT. 
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

• AJoD wrote: I saw that, and I don't get it.  Here's the part of that post that constitutes his argument:

Listen, it's no question that Nebraska acted, and that action sparked the frenzy of the last few days.  If Nebraska would have come out strong in its commitment to the Big 12 last week, you wouldn't be seeing all this Chicken Little talk and scrambling of the last few days, no question.  That might have saved the Big 12 in the near term, but does anyone really think that would have established a collegial and cooperative conference on solid footing for the long term?

Nebraska called UT's bluff, that's it, and they did so because you don't want to continually be part of a high stakes poker game of conference alignment.  The last sentence there echoes the bluff...if the Big 12 ultimately ceases to exist...that was Texas's threat, not Nebraska's.  Nebraska's position was that the Big 12 could go on without the Huskers.  And that's correct, even if UT still decides to blow it up.  But look at all the reports out today...it comes down to Texas.

I'm pretty confident that Nebraska would have much preferred a conference that was unified in pursuit of common success rather than competition on an administrative level.  But once they got dragged to the table, it's hard to fault them for playing to win.
    I'm just trying to explain why people (and not just those with Big 12 ties) think that Nebraska handled things poorly and appeared whiny to some.  Everyone knows things aren't fair and equal in terms of what Texas gets from the Big 12 in comparison to the other schools and yes, if Texas leaves then the Big 12 COULD evaporate.  Here's the way other people see things:

Texas says they will stay IF Nebraska stays (regardless of Texas' demands)
    Nebraska leaves, saying they aren't the cause of the demise of the Big 12
    People don't like Nebraska leaving the Big 12 OR their explanation for it

Sorry, but your speculation that this was all a bluff by Texas and thank God that NU was able to have the balls to stand up to the big bully is just BS.  You don't think the criticism of Nebraska is justified and I, along with many others, don't like Nebraska's actions OR reasons for those actions.  No one dragged Nebraska to the table - they acted in their own self-interest. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I do kind of think that ATM might fare a little better not playing also ran to UT.  If they were the only Texas school in the SEC, I have to think a lot of Texas recruits would be excited about that and ATM would have a little more advantage over all the other schools that recruit there not named UT.  
I'm regurgitating from some Texass guest on Petro's show the other day, but...

UT will always be #1 on TX recruiting, notwithstanding conference affiliation of the TX schools.  There are 150 D1 prospects that come out of TX every year and the top 25 invariably pick UT every single year.  Of the remaining TX schools, A&M is clearly the number #1 choice behind UT.  Baylor is pretty much irrelevant, so the question is whether A&M currently outrecruits TCU, Tech, and Houston.  

IMO, considering fan support, facilities, tradition, $$$, etc., A&M destroys every school in TX not named UT.  They've just had bad coaches, from my perspective.  
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

And the old three yards and a cloud of dust that was the Big 10's nostalgic hallmark has never been an NU staple.
Huh?  You haven't been following Nebraska football long have you?  (certainly not in decades past, however...) Even under Callahan, NU led the Big 12 one season in rushing.  Under Pelini, Watson has been totally emphasizing the running game.  Did you by any chance see our bowl game against Arizona?  NU ran the wildcat about as efficiently as I've seen anyone run it.

Most of the conference didn't get a chance to see Rex Burkhead, as he was injured most of the season... he epitomizes NU's power run game!  and that was as a true freshman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQdXArWjYa0
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: I'm regurgitating from some Texass guest on Petro's show the other day, but...

UT will always be #1 on TX recruiting, notwithstanding conference affiliation of the TX schools.  There are 150 D1 prospects that come out of TX every year and the top 25 invariably pick UT every single year.  Of the remaining TX schools, A&M is clearly the number #1 choice behind UT.  Baylor is pretty much irrelevant, so the question is whether A&M currently outrecruits TCU, Tech, and Houston.  

IMO, considering fan support, facilities, tradition, $$$, etc., A&M destroys every school in TX not named UT.  They've just had bad coaches, from my perspective.  
The coaching has definitely been terrible.  However, watching their dynamic with UT in the B12, it just seems like they might have better luck building some momentum elsewhere.  Its almost as if a "we will never finish ahead of UT" mindset has permenantely set in.  
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

I think the Big Red should be careful what they wish for...they've struggled with a weak roster of big 12 north football foes. I think they'll really struggle in the big 10. They may end up just lingering in the middle of the pack there.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

No doubt... the rest of the north doesn't begin to measure up with the likes of Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Iowa? :)
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

Reports that Texas will stay

http://texas.rivals.com/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

eomaha.com wrote: No doubt... the rest of the north doesn't begin to measure up with the likes of Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Iowa? :)
Eomaha is right. Nebraska pretty clearly left because they knew they couldn't compete in the Big 12 North, so they decided to head to an easier conference. ;)
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Eh... don't sell yourselves short... equally bad.

It WILL be a lot of fun watching match ups against Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State on a regular basis.  Let's face it... beyond Oklahoma and UT... there just isn't much to be taken away from the Big 12 any longer.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

eomaha.com wrote: Eh... don't sell yourselves short... equally bad.

It WILL be a lot of fun watching match ups against Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State on a regular basis.  Let's face it... beyond Oklahoma and UT... there just isn't much to be taken away from the Big 12 any longer.
The Big XII is pretty bad.  I mean, Nebraska competed for what, 3 Big XII Championships???  They won zero.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

eomaha.com wrote: It WILL be a lot of fun watching match ups against Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State on a regular basis. 
Thing is, you won't see Penn State, Michigan, or Ohio State or a 'regular basis'.  Each of them won't be in Des Moines but once every four years since they are in the eastern division. 
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

The brilliant and even-tempered Bo Pellini will take them to wins over Minnesota and Indiana but as for the rest, I can't see them ever winning this conference. They've been struggling with Ia State, KU, and Mizzou lately.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

The Big XII is pretty bad.  I mean, Nebraska competed for what, 3 Big XII Championships???  They won zero.
Actually, NU won 2 titles :) ... 3rd best title game winning percentage (not too hard to figure out who they follow).

You may find it interesting to note however, that NU trails only Texas in ALL sport Big 12 titles.  The Big 10 may be surprised to find that NU is competitive in more sports than just football.
Thing is, you won't see Penn State, Michigan, or Ohio State or a 'regular basis'.
Compared to the once every couple of decades (not even that with OSU) games we've had with these Big 10 opponents ... it will be on a regular basis.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

eomaha.com wrote: Actually, NU won 2 titles :) ... 3rd best title game winning percentage (not too hard to figure out who they follow).
Just nitpicking, but I think you mean 3rd most titles. If you go by win pct, they went 2-3, for a .400 winning percentage, which would put them behind Oklahoma (7-1, .833), Texas (3-2, .600), and A&M (1-1, .500).

And the last title was over a decade ago.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Getting your ass kicked in a 100,000 seat opponents stadium must be more attractive to nu fans.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
HockeyPunkKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by HockeyPunkKC »

I'm not really a hardcore fan of any of the Big 12 schools.  My take is that if any other team had been in NU's position, they would have went as well.  All this NU bashing seems like jealousy to me.