KC to host NCAA Tourney in 2013

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KC to host NCAA Tourney in 2013

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, we get NOTHING in 2012?  Oh well.

A regional could be good because, unlike the Big 12 Tourney, it can bring people to KC who would otherwise not come here.  Earlier this year, we had fans from Michigan, California, and Maryland - just to name a few states.  Would people in these states have any other reason to come to KC?

If the P&L is rocking in 2013, and there are people like me helping out-of-towners on every corner, KC will no doubt make a good impression to people from the fartest states.
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote: If the P&L is rocking in 2013,
You don't sound too confident that it will be.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Dayton has hosted the "First Four", being played tonight and tomorrow, every year since they started it. But it is being bid out for the 2014 season. The economic impact for the "First Four" is about the same as being a first/second round site - $4 -6 million.

Should KC be bidding on this? We are more of a home of college basketball than Dayton. Should we be the permanent site? We may have to give up hosting the first/second round if we were the permanent hosts. And there is not a big chance that the local schools would be playing in the First Four. Or what if we rotate it with Dayton?

Dayton would still be a favorite since they're centrally located (we're kinda west of where most of the schools are) and they make a really big deal about the event, but we have a rich college basketball tradition, the CBE, a great festival atmosphere. It would be a great economic impact every year, rather than once every three years (I think you can't host a first round site more than every three years) Or is this just to small fry for KC?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm of the opinion that the city should always try to get any and every event it can. Unlike the Big 12 Tournament, where most people live some-what close to KC, we could get teams from far away that bring their fans who would otherwise have no desire to visit KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:I'm of the opinion that the city should always try to get any and every event it can. Unlike the Big 12 Tournament, where most people live some-what close to KC, we could get teams from far away that bring their fans who would otherwise have no desire to visit KC.

I'm of the opinion that the NCAA should drop the dome crap and get the tourney's back where they belong in arenas where basketball should be played. I'd like to see a final four in KC.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: I'm of the opinion that the NCAA should drop the dome crap and get the tourney's back where they belong in arenas where basketball should be played. I'd like to see a final four in KC.
I completely agree with this. But, that will never happen so long as they feel they can more money in the domes.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:I'm of the opinion that the city should always try to get any and every event it can. Unlike the Big 12 Tournament, where most people live some-what close to KC, we could get teams from far away that bring their fans who would otherwise have no desire to visit KC.

I'm of the opinion that the NCAA should drop the dome crap and get the tourney's back where they belong in arenas where basketball should be played. I'd like to see a final four in KC.
Even if we were to host Final Fours, that would happen - what, once every 6-8 years? Maybe longer? Granted, much bigger economic impact, but wouldn't it be fun to have something every year?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Even if we were to host Final Fours, that would happen - what, once every 6-8 years? Maybe longer? Granted, much bigger economic impact, but wouldn't it be fun to have something every year?
So, by getting the first four (and I assume you mean permanently), do you automatically disqualify yourself for hosting the first and second weeks? I am not sure if it would be worth that. Not much audience for the first four compared to the others.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No thanks. Give it to OKC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote:
So, by getting the first four (and I assume you mean permanently), do you automatically disqualify yourself for hosting the first and second weeks? I am not sure if it would be worth that. Not much audience for the first four compared to the others.
I believe so. I think I'd prefer having the First four every year and making it "our thing" but you could alternate it with Dayton, and still host first round games the years you're not having the First Four.

At the very least I think we should be bidding for the First Four for years we're already not hosting the first round games.