Missouri Mavericks

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Missouri Mavericks

Post by AllThingsKC »

The schedule comes out tomorrow afternoon.  The season starts in October.

Does this team have a nick-name?  Mavs?  Mo-Mavs?
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Missouri Mavericks

Post by AllThingsKC »

The first game is October 16th @ Rapid City.  The Home Opener is November 13th vs. Wichita.

For the complete season schedule, click here!
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Article on the T-Bones and Mavericks competing in a Major League market.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1403583.html
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC is the way to be!
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Oh Thanks for the pic ATKC!  IEC is looking really nice from the outside.  The inside looks really nice too.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Hopefully they will step it up once they get here. They have started 0-2.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

After the pics of the unis, they are so bad that I gotta get one now. I'll probably end up going to quite a few games this season to quench my hockey thirst.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

I wish there was a way to watch the games without paying $300 for a season pass. Kind of a rip off to pay month by month.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I think this is going to be an unsuccessful experiment which is too bad as it will give professional hockey a bad name in KC (or give KC a bad name in professional hockey).  I would probably go see a game at Sprint Arena, at least the P&L District is there to make it a fun night out.  I would never go see a game in Independence, why drive all the way there for a sport I do not particularly care for and then back to wherever average Joe KC is from.  I just do not see it working.  At least the T-bones is at the Legends which is a draw in itself and baseball is a pretty proven sport in KC. 
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

0-5 to start. They have scored 9 goals and given up 25.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

They are the only winless team in the whole league right now.
KC is the way to be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Sounds like they're going out of their way to "fit in" to the KC sports scene. Guess it would be rude to show-up the Chiefs, Royals and Wizards this year by actually winning.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Is the arena not open yet?  I thought it was.  If it is, why don't they have a single home game in October?  It's also strange that they don't make up for the lack of home games on the back end of their schedule.  The schedule is primarly away games.  That's not very fair. 

I also took a look at their roster.  Only 4 Americans on it, the rest are Canadian.  I'm not sure what that means, but I'd bet the league is primarily Canadian kids still playing hockey for a living rather than going home to work in the mill/factory/whatever from the towns they came from.  I've known many kids that fit that bill that played in the ECHL for a long time.  I wish they had bios on the players, past teams/stats so I could get a better sense of who they are and what levels they've played at.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

I don't believe the arena is open yet.  According to the website, the Grand Opening is November 7th with a public open house.
http://www.independenceeventscenter.com ... ening.html
ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

Video Blog + Photos of the Missouri Mavericks arena (Independence Event Center)

Post by ramseym_com »

I snapped a few photos of the new Independence Event Center (home for the Missouri Mavericks minor league hockey team). I also shot a video blog tour:

During my visit I was a bit surprised in what I found (both in a good and bad way). Here are my thoughts on?

?the building and overall design and architecture:
If you?re driving on i-70 the Independence Event Center is right off the highway. But you could easily miss it if you?re not careful (i did). It sorta looks like a large hotel from the outside. In regards to scale, it?s not even close to the size of the Sprint Center, Kauffman or Arrowhead. Nevertheless, it?s certainly not ugly- it?s just not what you?d expect for a hockey arena. On the inside it?s pretty standard issue, no real surprises (no Dallas Cowboys jumbo-tron if you?re wondering).

?event seating:
General admission has cloth upholstered seats. The suites are leather. Also, there is NO bad seats anywhere in the venue. Seriously. (I even walked around to try to find one) It?s so small that you?ve got a great view from anywhere. I can already tell concerts will be great in this facility.

?there?s community ice skating!
There are two buildings. One is the main event center- and the other is ?Community Ice?. Annnnnnd the ice skating is CHEAP! It?s only $8 to skate (includes skate rental). In addition to that, they?ll have lessons for ice skating (adult + kids) and hockey (adult + kids) and birthday party rentals. Furthermore, area high school hockey leagues and teams will be practicing and playing games at the facility.

The ?Ramsey Blogger Bottom-Line Review?:
If you caught my Tweet when I was there- it can be summed like this simple as this: fun, cheap and easy. The prices + the experience = great. I know most residents are bummed we didn?t get pro hockey, but this certainly still a great addition to the Kansas City area. Add it to the list of ?things-you-take-people-to-if-they-are-from-out-of-town-and-you?re-looking-for-things-to-do? :) I?m already making plans to both attend a couple games and also check out the ice skating with some friends soon.

--
http://www.ramseymohsen.com

mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

That was it for the crowd???? :(  Was that a scrimmage? I think the arena looks like a small American Airlines Center.
Last edited by mykem on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ramseym_com »

It was not the official opening- just the "pre-opening". There wasn't an actual game played. Official games start this Friday. Actually- the hockey team on the rink in the photos is Rockhurts high school :)
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Oh, ok that's good news. I was a little worried about the turnout. I think the building looks good even though they went with a retro look.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

ramseym_com wrote: Actually- the hockey team on the rink in the photos is Rockhurts high school :)

Whew, I thought to myself that the team looked like a bunch of high school kids and was let down on the talent expectations.  Then there it was....they ARE high school kids.  I intend to get out to a game soonish.

Thanks for the pictures.  The rink looks nice.  I didn't expect anything anywhere near the level of Sprint Ctr, Kauffman or Arrowhead.  A solid community rink with good seating for a low-level minor league team will not impact any NHL aspirations.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Well from what I heard, it was an exciting home opener last night.  3-2 victory in a shootout in front of a sellout.  Congrats to the MO Mavs!