Missouri Mavericks

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Missouri Mavericks

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, sellout last night, and I hear they got a near sellout for tonight. Probably going to sell it out in a few hours. I'll just go next Friday night when it's a little less crazier.
Pancho_and_Lefty
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Pancho_and_Lefty »

The Kansas City Star had a nice article on the Mavericks on Sunday.  It appears that things are going well for the team...for a first year club they are doing better then expected, they have sold a substantial number of season ticket packages, and have pretty solid attendance.  I have been to two games thus far, and even though I grew up in an NHL town (and followed and played hockey throughout most of my formative years), the quality of CHL hockey is pretty darned good for $9-$18 a seat.  The Independence Events Center is a great venue, and it's close to some quality dining establishments and shopping facilities.  I am pretty excited for this team and am glad that hockey is back in town!
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

How about some love for the Mavs?  They are the most successful sports franchise this metro has seen in a while.  Playoff tickets go on sale Tuesday at Noon.

I have to say I find their style of play very exciting and it beats basketball by far in my mind.  This team has developed a pretty strong and faithful following in just a few months time.
Last edited by KCBoom on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

In the first round of the playoffs, the Mavericks win a best-of-three game series over Mississippi.

Round Two of the playoffs: They play Rapid City at the Independence Events Center this weekend.
KC is the way to be!
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Go Mavs!!!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The Mavericks will have 5 games on TV this season.

http://blogs.kcfreepress.com/missouri-m ... -exposure/
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

After winning their first round playoff series against their rivals from Wichita, The Missouri Mavericks now face a must-win game on Tuesday night in the Independence Events Center, if they hope to continue in round two of the playoffs.

Still, it's nice to think of Kansas City as a place for post-season hockey.
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Mavericks have been absorbed into the ECHL, which I believe is the top (or one of the top) minor leagues in hockey, and should lead to an affiliation. Huge move.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I'm definitely taking this as good news. ECHL is a step below the AHL which is step below NHL. Here's a good article:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/10/06/source ... -next-week
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's great because the Mavericks will be playing some of the teams the KC Blades used to play back in the IHL days.

I wonder how this will impact the Maverick's schedule since it starts in 2 weeks.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

AllThingsKC wrote:It's great because the Mavericks will be playing some of the teams the KC Blades used to play back in the IHL days.

I wonder how this will impact the Maverick's schedule since it starts in 2 weeks.
The Wichita Eagle (much better reporting on the story) said that CHL teams will start off playing the already-set CHL schedule until some sort of assimilation later in the season.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

AHL moving 5 teams out west but it will most likely affect the ECHL as well. The Mavericks are in the top 6 in attendance, maybe they can land an NHL affiliate.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/1/29/79454 ... key-league
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Lamar Hunt Jr. has purchased the team.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nhl/ar ... 76673.html
Hunt’s ownership of the Mavericks is not part of Hunt Sports Group, the Dallas-based company run by his brother Clark, chairman of the Chiefs. Lamar Hunt Jr., who lives in Leawood, is president of Kansas City-based Loretto Sports Ventures, LLC — a company that invests in sports teams, properties and affiliated assets.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if Lamar try to move the team to the Sprint Center or somewhere in Kansas if an arena was ever built
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

From the article, it definitely sounds like Hunt wants to move the Mavericks from the ECHL to the AHL:
However, Hunt is interested in the Mavericks’ affiliating as a top farm club for an NHL team. The Mavericks currently have an affiliation with the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves, who are the top farm club of the NHL’s St. Louis Blues.

“That’s a fine affiliation,” Hunt said of the Mavericks’ connection to the Wolves, “but the NHL brings a lot of scouting and professionalism and player development.”
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Wonder if Lamar try to move the team to the Sprint Center or somewhere in Kansas if an arena was ever built
If he builds more ice rinks (with plenty of seats), I could see him moving games around between the arenas.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I chuckled when they said JoCo is a short drive from the Independence Events Center. Sure, short drive compared to David Glass, maybe. :lol: