Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Post by chingon »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Kids and drunk at the same time?
Topeka. Kansas.

All the time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cano doesn't pick Butler for the HR Derby even after saying in an interview that he would pick a home town player....

Should be fun.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:Cano doesn't pick Butler for the HR Derby even after saying in an interview that he would pick a home town player....

Should be fun.
Nice. Washington picks his own guy (7th Ranger) over home city Escobar, and Cano skips home city Butler for fan favorite Mark Trumbo. I hope this is not an omen.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Cano doesn't pick Butler for the HR Derby even after saying in an interview that he would pick a home town player....

Should be fun.
Nice. Washington picks his own guy (7th Ranger) over home city Escobar, and Cano skips home city Butler for fan favorite Mark Trumbo. I hope this is not an omen.
Sure, it would have been nice to have Alcides in the game, but I have no problem with him choosing Andrus. If I'm the two-time defending AL champ and All Star manager, that's exactly what I would do. I can't really even make an argument that Escobar would be a better choice.

Cano is a different story. Screw him. It's an exhibition and no one gives a crap about Mark Trumbo.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

WSPanic wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:

Should be fun.
Sure, it would have been nice to have Alcides in the game, but I have no problem with him choosing Andrus. If I'm the two-time defending AL champ and All Star manager, that's exactly what I would do. I can't really even make an argument that Escobar would be a better choice.

Cano is a different story. Screw him. It's an exhibition and no one gives a crap about Mark Trumbo.
Happens every year. Sucks the Royals were on the ass end of it this year.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't understand why Kemp is playing in the HR Derby, guy has been out for like 2 months and isn't even playing in the regular all star game. Maybe kemp does something where he takes a pitch and says "Butler get in here" That would be kind of cool
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I don't understand why Kemp is playing in the HR Derby, guy has been out for like 2 months and isn't even playing in the regular all star game. Maybe kemp does something where he takes a pitch and says "Butler get in here" That would be kind of cool
Because the reigning champ gets to select the team. And Butler plays in the AL, Kemp in the NL.

I want Butler to be in too, but the reaction of many Royals fans to this and the perceived snubs of Moose and/or Escobar strikes me as awfully whiny (although in fairness, fans of all teams are like this).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCMax wrote:Because the reigning champ gets to select the team.
Why is that? If it's just an exhibition, then let the fans decide who they want to see. If it's a competition then a participant shouldn't get to pick his competition.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Why is that? If it's just an exhibition, then let the fans decide who they want to see. If it's a competition then a participant shouldn't get to pick his competition.
It makes no sense. Assuming it was some sort of stupid concession in a collective bargaining agreement.

I've never understood the national/american league distinction in this event as far as "picking teams" is concerned. It's an individual event. Sure - 4 from each league makes sense, but beyond that, why do we even have "teams" for this?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote:
I think they did it to make the players care more and have more fun with it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

NDTeve wrote:
WSPanic wrote:
Happens every year. Sucks the Royals were on the ass end of it this year.
This doesn't quite happen every year. Yeah usually a home town player isn't in the HR derby but usually that home town team doesn't have a HR hitter picked for the team.....pair that with Cano flat out saying he would take a home town Royal, that's why people are pissed.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Can't wait to watch a bunch of crybabies booing Cano during the HR Derby. Might as well stage a walkout while you're at it...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'll boo him, I don't consider myself a crybaby :(
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kucer wrote:Can't wait to watch a bunch of crybabies booing Cano during the HR Derby. Might as well stage a walkout while you're at it...
Are you a Yankees/Cubs/Red Sox/Cardinals fan? I don't mean one of those... I mean all of them when it is convenient?

This isn't booing a guy for not getting a hit, or booing a guy for walking a run in. This is booing a player who straight up on national TV said he would pick a local guy, then subsequently decided to not pick a local guy. If booing is ever justified, I would think it is more justified when a guy goes against his nationally televised promise. I'm fine with him picking whomever he wants, but I also think that dealing with the consequences of a decision is also part of baseball. I don't think it is so out of line to hope that an arbitrarily selected lineup of home run hitters may include a guy from the host city. Prince Fielder was relentlessly booed last year. I think the bigger crybaby move is to be upset with folks for booing an opposing player with no ties to the city. It is baseball. Guys get booed all the time for all sorts of reasons. Have you ever been to a game in New York?
“That’s got to be the right thing. You’ve got to pick one of the Royals players. Because I mean that’s their hometown and that’s where the All-Star Game is going to be so the fans want to see their players there.”
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

What are the odds that actual Garth Brooks sings the seventh inning stretch instead of the infamous video?

This could be listed elsewhere, or I could be too lazy to look it up, but does anyone know who is scheduled to sing the national anthem or stretch/GBA if not Garth?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:What are the odds that actual Garth Brooks sings the seventh inning stretch instead of the infamous video?

This could be listed elsewhere, or I could be too lazy to look it up, but does anyone know who is scheduled to sing the national anthem or stretch/GBA if not Garth?
Luke Bryan will sing the National Anthem.
Kelly Pickler will sing GBA.
Phillip Phillips (is that really his name?) will sing a tribute to Joplin, MO before the game.

David Cook will sing the National Anthem before the HR Derby on Monday. The Zac Brown Band will perform there too.

I have not heard of a lot of these people, so I imagine they are country stars.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

KCMax wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote: Luke Bryan will sing the National Anthem.
Kelly Pickler will sing GBA.
Phillip Phillips (is that really his name?) will sing a tribute to Joplin, MO before the game.
Who? Maybe i'm getting old....but have no idea who these 3 are.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

zonk wrote:
Who? Maybe i'm getting old....but have no idea who these 3 are.
Phillip Phillips most recent American Idol winner. No idea who the others are.

No better way to solidify KC's national reputation than to trot out an all-american lineup of country stars for the ASG.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:I have not heard of a lot of these people, so I imagine they are country stars.
My thoughts exactly. A wiki search shows that two of them have an American Idol connection, so that is another reason why I would not have heard of them before. That's what FOX does, though. I guess there aren't too many KC natives I am crushed they don't have singing. I think it would have been nice to have Janelle Monae involved, but there really aren't the huge names you associate with the city like you have in other places.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote: My thoughts exactly. A wiki search shows that two of them have an American Idol connection, so that is another reason why I would not have heard of them before.
Three if you count David Cook.