Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Post by bbqboy »

chaglang wrote:
KCMax wrote: On the twitter, I'm reading a lot of nice things about KC from national types. Helps this is a really big deal to us, so we go the extra mile.
Is it worth starting a thread for ASG/KC articles?
yes. :!:
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote:Crowd of 40,000 for the Futures Game/Celeb Softball game, easily the most ever.
Please let this be true!!!
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCMax wrote:Crowd of 40,000 for the Futures Game/Celeb Softball game, easily the most ever.
Please let this be true!!!
I'd say easily. The seats were pretty well filled and the entire lower concourse, especially the outfield, was packed.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

shinatoo wrote:Compared to Rock Fest, that's nothing.
It's one thing to have Rock Fest in the park around Liberty Memorial. But, have they ever decorated the actual memorial for Rock Fest?
shaffe wrote: I'd say easily. The seats were pretty well filled and the entire lower concourse, especially the outfield, was packed.
There are 3 reasons why I think the ASG will be a success here.

1. As mentioned on the previous page, the ASG is a much bigger deal for KC than say, NY, LA, or Chicago. So, we go all out.

2. KC's location makes it pretty low cost for anyone in the country to come here.

3. In January, I predicted that KC would do an outstanding job with the ASG.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think another factor in why the KC Metro is supporting these events is because our Economy is pretty stable and we have a pretty good amount of people in this city that can support and afford going to these events like Fanfest. That might not be the case in Arizona or Cali where income numbers are greatly skewed. I think Minneapolis will do a great job in Two years when they host this event.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Had a blast at the Futures Game/Celeb game. Ballpark looked really gorgeous, even with all the extra ad crap they put in for the weekend. Field looks amazing. The crowd was sparse at first because security backed the lines up quite a bit. It was pretty packed mid-way through the Futures Game. Matt Cassel drew some boos, but the biggest boos came for Bill Self - who promptly hit a home run. Nice to see a great ovation for Mike Sweeney (who is MUCH slimmed down now). Really awesome at the end when the whole crowd chanting "WE WANT BO", before Bo reluctantly grabbed a bat and pinch hit.

I believe the celeb game airs on ESPN tonight. KC showed up really nice I think.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Rany was talking on the radio this morning, made an interesting point about future all-star games, basically that there are only 4-5 "new" stadiums that are "due" for an all-star game and given the KC reception thought it reasonable that KC might get another in 10-15 years. Pure conjecture of course, but interesting point.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It's possible. Pittsburgh hosted in 1994 and 2006. Teams that have newer stadiums but never hosted are Cincinnati, Washington, Both New York's, Minnesota, Miami, Philly, and San Diego
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

brewcrew1000 wrote:It's possible. Pittsburgh hosted in 1994 and 2006. Teams that have newer stadiums but never hosted are Cincinnati, Washington, Both New York's, Minnesota, Miami, Philly, and San Diego
CitiField gets it next year.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

AllThingsKC wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Compared to Rock Fest, that's nothing.
It's one thing to have Rock Fest in the park around Liberty Memorial. But, have they ever decorated the actual memorial for Rock Fest?
Eh, it's a blue light and an image projected onto the memorial surface. Since it's not painted on there and not over the top gaudy I'm ok with it.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

I have a narrow band scanner and live close by the K. If anyone else has one here are some frequencies I've found:

450.9125mhz fm video control/program director. It's about 10 seconds ahead of what you'll see on tv(It might be less than 10 if viewing over the air. I'm viewing on twc). I think this is the most interesting one to listen to.

450.9500 mhz fm is the vhf audio link for the network.

461.1750mhz is the stadium staff.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What a bummer. I mean, almost no shots of KC for the all star game. Just a few mentions of the negro league museum. Not a single shot of the plaza, union station, downtown skyline etc.

All that kc has gotten out of this is a reputation for booing everybody.

Why did KC boo Matt Castle the other night?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Because we don't like Castles.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I just caught some of a DVR recording but immediately noticed Monday Night Football does a much better job showing off KC than FOX.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They did a fairly good cityscape at the end of the 8th when nobody is watching this dude game. NBC sunday night football does a better job for its city viewings
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wow that game was a dud. The fox coverage was horrible, Joe Buck is so damn boring and monotone. This all star game represnted KC sports well. Started out strong (Fanfest, Parade, Derby) then sucked big time. Kind of funny that Melky won the MVP, even though Braun was more deserving given the catches he made.

NL is going to dominate ASG for the next couple years, much better young core of players. Teams like Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers have older core of players
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Two pies in the Royals organization's face tonight.

-late in the game, they were showing a MLB Network clip about George Brett's career. Willie Wilson got a nice ovation, but the stadium erupted when Frank White was shown.

-Melky Cabrera going 2 for 2 with a HR, winning the game's MVP and getting a brand new car in the middle of Kauffman Stadium's infield....At least Jonathan Sanchez has a nice car, right?

Overall, I was very impressed how the city/fans supported this event. I'm sure outsiders looking in will remember the booing of Robby Cano, but hope that some impression was made about the passion the Royals fanbase has for this city and hopefully this team in the near future.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC came out looking awesome. Nice job by everybody that helped out in any capacity.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:
GRID wrote:What a bummer. I mean, almost no shots of KC for the all star game.
Yeah, ESPN and particularly CBS Sports always use cityscapes as intro shots after commercial breaks. Fox Sports, nothing.
Did you guys not watch the game? There were shots of Union Station, HR Block Building, P&L District, the Eighth Street Fountain, I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.