Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Post by KCPowercat »

It's on fox.... Of course it's going to be American Idol success stories.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:It's on fox.... Of course it's going to be American Idol success stories.
Last year's anthem in Phoenix was performed by....Jordin Sparks of American Idol. The year before? Amber Riley of the FOX show "Glee"
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Will David Glass make an appearance?
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Melissa Ethridge and Pat Metheny doing the national anthem would be a nice touch.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Is anyone planning on getting photos of the unique ASG displays around the city? For example, the city is getting decked out in ASG logos. I'm trying to get as many photos of these places as possible so that one day, I'll be able to show to my grandchildren what KC looked like x number of years ago and what we did for the ASG.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good idea....need a good photog to get the night lit buildings.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:Is anyone planning on getting photos of the unique ASG displays around the city? For example, the city is getting decked out in ASG logos. I'm trying to get as many photos of these places as possible so that one day, I'll be able to show to my grandchildren what KC looked like x number of years ago and what we did for the ASG.
Here are some from the Royals and MLB's twitter feeds:

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

A discussion just transpired on the Scott Van Pelt show about KC BBQ and where he should eat. The suggestion was that Gates and Bryant's divide people in the city, that Bryant's burnt ends are the best choice of the two, and that Okie Joe's is the best option overall. It was South Carolina born Andy Staples, but he said KC does not have a claim in the pulled pork department. He recommended the Z-Man to SVP and said they have great ribs. He said that the top four to consider are the three mentioned above along with Jack Stack, but he had never been to Jack Stack.

Great to see the KC talk starting already. Those live spots on SVP and Gottlieb should/could be great PR.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Not such a great article on KC from MLB.com
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The guy is from Cleveland and based on his twitter posts it looks like the guy drove here so I don't understand why he would be making fun of the airport.
https://twitter.com/#!/castrovince
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I liked his column.... Except the dead downtown reference. Given the day after the 4th I think he was just saying that to build up his story angle.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Terrible Royals owner (debated by some) had an interesting exchange with 610's Danny Parkins during a live interview at the ASG Fan Fest. Despite Forbes reporting a $28.5 million operating profit in 2011, Glass states that "we’re not looking to make money with the franchise we simply want to break even" and then stormed off the set mid-interview. But hey, I'm not suggesting that this, in any way, makes the dude a bad owner or liar.

Parkins: What do you say to fans who would like you to sell the team?

Glass: Uhh, yeah, I’m sorry.

Parkins: Do you know where that comes from?

Glass: I don’t have a clue, I have no idea

Parkins: What do you say to fans that wish you spend more on payroll for this team?

Glass: Uhh, Well, in a market this size you can spend a certain amount on payroll. You… You’re never going to be able to spend what the Yankees and the other big market teams can spend but our approach from the very beginning has been that we’re not looking to make money with the franchise we simply want to break even and if we have an if we have an opportunity to win we’ll step up and do whatever it takes to… to help us take that extra step. But for the most part all the money that we can generate we’ll spend on payroll and singing amateur players.

Parkins: Would you be willing to operate a season at a loss in order to sign a big time….

Glass: We… We’ve done that before and I suppose we’d do it again.

Parkins: We’re talking with Royals owner David Glass here on the Danny Parkins show…. Putting the microphone down? Oh… oh… alright. Thank you sir for coming on the show he just put the microphone down and walked away.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

If you are inclined to tweet or follow tweets, you should take a few minutes to see what @VisitKC is doing with the #KC hashtag. It is actually one of the most impressive things I've seen undertaken. They are individually welcoming people to KC and providing specific recommendations on places to go! An earlier tumblr (visitkc.tumblr.com) post showed that they have reviewed 3000 tweets already and individually responded to over 150 of them.

It is extremely early in the game, but I think the social media command center is already a great undertaking and impressive feature for this weekend. The tweets will explode once more of the big time tweeters get in town (ESPN/FOX hosts and players), but just to influence even a few folks positively is an awesome endeavor. Great work to all involved.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I thought this was a good article for the star, it's a good guide for out of town visitors
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/05/36 ... -from.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Got back from FanFest. Little bit of a light crowd, but I expect that on a Friday morning. Lots of neat exhibits, tons of vendors. Went to buy a hot dog, and behind me in line was 200 game winner Jack Morris! Really cool that some exhibits have an emphasis on KC baseball history - really loved the timeline of old stadiums that used to be downtown.

Everyone around the Fanfest is super friendly too. The CID info booth outside was packed with visitors, and the guy was handling it all really well. City seem to be showing pretty well thus far. I took the MAX today, and didn't really seem to see any tourists, but those KC Strip Trolleys were packed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Those trolleys are free and thankfully they did them. Every 15 minutes all over downtown even 18th and vine. Perfect idea.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:Those trolleys are free and thankfully they did them. Every 15 minutes all over downtown even 18th and vine. Perfect idea.
Yea, they were pretty much stacked up one on another they came so often.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

KC-wildcat wrote:Terrible Royals owner (debated by some) had an interesting exchange with 610's Danny Parkins during a live interview at the ASG Fan Fest. Despite Forbes reporting a $28.5 million operating profit in 2011, Glass states that "we’re not looking to make money with the franchise we simply want to break even" and then stormed off the set mid-interview. But hey, I'm not suggesting that this, in any way, makes the dude a bad owner or liar.

Parkins: What do you say to fans who would like you to sell the team?

Glass: Uhh, yeah, I’m sorry.

Parkins: Do you know where that comes from?

Glass: I don’t have a clue, I have no idea

Parkins: What do you say to fans that wish you spend more on payroll for this team?

Glass: Uhh, Well, in a market this size you can spend a certain amount on payroll. You… You’re never going to be able to spend what the Yankees and the other big market teams can spend but our approach from the very beginning has been that we’re not looking to make money with the franchise we simply want to break even and if we have an if we have an opportunity to win we’ll step up and do whatever it takes to… to help us take that extra step. But for the most part all the money that we can generate we’ll spend on payroll and singing amateur players.

Parkins: Would you be willing to operate a season at a loss in order to sign a big time….

Glass: We… We’ve done that before and I suppose we’d do it again.

Parkins: We’re talking with Royals owner David Glass here on the Danny Parkins show…. Putting the microphone down? Oh… oh… alright. Thank you sir for coming on the show he just put the microphone down and walked away.
Wow.

What a class act.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Didn't he pretty much cut an interview short and storm out when some CNBC reporter was interviewing him about Wal-Mart's fair labor practices?