Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Post by KCMax »

staubio wrote: This is a boon to the gas station and Taco Bell, key stadium amenities.
I can't wait for the David Cook concert at Denny's before the game!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I noticed during last night's game there was a lot of Cardinal red in the stadium, which led me to wonder what percentage of the crowd during an All-Star game is actually from out of town (outside the normal 300-mile radius that fans might drive from)?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: I can't wait for the David Cook concert at Denny's before the game!
I'm sure all the hotels and resturants in town would love an All Star game.  Its not like everyone eats, sleeps, and brushes their teeth AT the stadium for crying out loud...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: I'm sure all the hotels and resturants in town would love an All Star game.  Its not like everyone eats, sleeps, and brushes their teeth AT the stadium for crying out loud...
That will be convenient to have all the Fan Festivities three miles west of the stadiums with automobiles being the only way to get between the two sites.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Downtown-to-Stadium LRT starter line, anyone?  :lol:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Max...Obviously they will have bus shuttles...not ideal of course.

I am still holding my breath for fixed route in the core.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: That will be convenient to have all the Fan Festivities three miles west of the stadiums with automobiles being the only way to get between the two sites.
Like Driving an Automobile around a city is anything new to Americans.  Quit the drama..grow up..and go drive.  Its the American Way.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: Like Driving an Automobile around a city is anything new to Americans. 
Americans traveling to virtually any other city with population 2 million and up are likely to expect that they can get around on transit or taxis.  They will be shit out of luck when they get to KC for the AS game.  I can't remember the last time I visited a city the size of KC or larger and felt I had to rent a car.  Hertz and Avis better relocate half their american fleets to KC for that week. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Diageee...every city our size and even larger east of pittsburgh I think many need a car....hell look at huge atlanta, houston, dallas, phoenix, la...cars are almost needed.

for the ASG here it would be easy for tourists not to need a car....they will miss out on the legends though.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Americans traveling to virtually any other city with population 2 million and up are likely to expect that they can get around on transit or taxis.  They will be shit out of luck when they get to KC for the AS game.  I can't remember the last time I visited a city the size of KC or larger and felt I had to rent a car...
Have you ever been outside of the KC Area?  Wow...

Its not like we Don't have a bus system...

8)
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: Have you ever been outside of the KC Area?  Wow...

Its not like we Don't have a bus system...

8)

We don't have one that runs to the stadium.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I am sure they won't put on in for the ASG

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote: Diageee...every city our size and even larger east of pittsburgh I think many need a car....hell look at huge atlanta, houston, dallas, phoenix, la...cars are almost needed.

for the ASG here it would be easy for tourists not to need a car....they will miss out on the legends though.
Clearly you aren't trying very hard. I've done Dallas and Atlanta without a car. Phoenix and Houston are probably the two least urban cities in the country, so these are scary examples to use to make us feel better about KC.

Of course, you don't need one in KC either, but no stadium is located in such sparsely developed location anywhere in the country.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I am not saying me personally, I am talking the majority of visitors to those cities...I do kc car-less 80% of the time.

My point was we aren't as described and transit will be provided to something like the ASG when its here, so tourists could easily do kc car-less when they come for the game.

KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

IF we get an ASG we should try a shuttle system similar to that used in Disney World to get the patrons from park to park.  There could be a handful of key pick-up/drop-off points such as Sports Complex, Plaza, Downtown, Negro Leagues Museum, and Airport.  I think those are the key destinations for most ASG attendees and get sthem close enough to other destinations where walking or taxis are sufficient.  Face it, there will be no other form of transit by the time we get an ASG.
kcmokid
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmokid »

Another big part of the All Star weekend that was introduced maybe 5-6 years ago is the Red Carpet parade.  All the players ride in the back of Chevy pickups (assuming Chevy is around in 2012) for a parade like a mile up to the stadium.  They televise it on TV and do interviews with the players similar to celebs arriving at the Oscars.  They even cover the road in a red carpet for like a mile (seems a bit silly)

What do you guys think about our parade?  Will it be through downtown or the Plaza and then the players will get bussed out to the stadium?  Or God-forbid will they drop a red carpet down through the parking lot at TSC  ](*,)

Can't wait for the ASG!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmokid wrote: Another big part of the All Star weekend that was introduced maybe 5-6 years ago is the Red Carpet parade.  All the players ride in the back of Chevy pickups (assuming Chevy is around in 2012) for a parade like a mile up to the stadium.  They televise it on TV and do interviews with the players similar to celebs arriving at the Oscars.  They even cover the road in a red carpet for like a mile (seems a bit silly)

What do you guys think about our parade?  Will it be through downtown or the Plaza and then the players will get bussed out to the stadium?  Or God-forbid will they drop a red carpet down through the parking lot at TSC   ](*,)

Can't wait for the ASG!
I think that there's other cities with Less urban stadiums than ours...
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: Have you ever been outside of the KC Area?  Wow...
never, I am a hermit . . . Oh wait except for having visited virtually every significant urban area in north america, western and eastern europe.  I travel extensively for work and probably rent a car less than 10% of the time. 
im2kull wrote: Its not like we Don't have a bus system...

8)

Yeah - the smallest, most inneffective system of any city remotely close to our size. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah - the smallest, most inneffective system of any city remotely close to our size. 
And this isn't 2012.  I'm sure that even our incompetent board will figure out a way to fund & Run a bus system to the Truman Sports Complex for a single week, if we indeed get the All Star Game.
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: And this isn't 2012.  I'm sure that even our incompetent board will figure out a way to fund & Run a bus system to the Truman Sports Complex for a single week, if we indeed get the All Star Game.
It isn't just to the TSC.  How are these people going to get from the airport to their hotel?  From their hotel to dinner?  The folks lucky enough to get rooms along the MAX line may fair allright, but as we have talked about many times before, most of the hotel rooms in this city are flung to the far corners of the metro and not served by any usable transit.  Which brings us back to rental-car-or-bust.  KC just doesn't have the infrastructure to host major destination events.