The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Post by KCMax »

What did you think of the NEW Kauffman Stadium? Give your review if you saw it either on person or on TV.

My review:

I visited on opening day, so this is the only time we'll see 40,000 people at the game. The place was packed. Lines for beer and bathrooms were long, even though there are supposedly more bathrooms. They overcompensated for the women's bathrooms and built way too many. No women's room ever had a line. The bathrooms are much smaller now, and there are no troughs. They are cleaner now, but there was no attendant I ever saw however, so who knows how long that will last.

The concession stands have all been massively upgraded. You can see some of the food being made fresh. There are a lot more options including tacos, chicken fingers, and onion rings. I didn't try anything and to be honest, I've heard mixed reviews on the food.

There is a LOT more beer offered. There was a whole stand dedicated to Leinenkugel on the upper level that I had. There is a stand called "Irish Pub" on the lower level with Irish beers including Guinness. I have to wonder if these places will be open when there are only 15,000 fans though.

The concourses are VERY wide now. There are HD TVs in a lot of locations so you don't miss the action. The Diamond Club on the lower level looks cool - kinda like a nice cafeteria where you can still see the game. The new team store looks very cool and is much bigger now.

The best part of the whole stadium is the outfield. It is easily the best part of the new K. The outfield seats look cool and I sat in them for an inning and the view is great. I didn't get in the Rivals Sports bar and party deck in right, but it seemed pretty cool and there are some benches outside where you can still relax and watch the game. Its very cool you can walk completely around the stadium now. There is a carousel and arcade in the outfield, which, I have to wonder why you'd come all the way to the K to do that kinda stuff, but whatever, its for the kids. The Hall of Fame looks just okay from the outside, its still not done yet.

Many criticized the concrete not meshing well with the glass and newer parts of the K, but I didn't think it was all that bad. Some of the concrete still doesn't look that good up close though, and it looks like a stadium that has been renovated, not a new stadium.

Overall, I think it has added to the fan experience somewhat, but the fact it is a stadium in the middle nowhere is still the biggest downside to the place. For what they had to deal with in that location, I think they did a fine job. I think it is a much needed improvement, but I wasn't blown away or anything.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Post by kcmetro »

Haven't been, but saw pics of the facade.  I don't like how only part of the stadium is encased in glass/whatever material the Royals logo is on.  Basically, I don't like how the circular ramp is still seen outside.  Makes it look like they aren't finished and did a half-ass job.  All the other pics I've seen of it though...it looks ok.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Agree with all of KCMax's points. I think I found a vender up top that sold beer (and handed out free smokes) until the top of the 9th. Shhhhhhh.  :D
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote: What did you think of the NEW Kauffman Stadium? Give your review if you saw it either on person or on TV.

My review:

I visited on opening day, so this is the only time we'll see 40,000 people at the game. The place was packed. Lines for beer and bathrooms were long, even though there are supposedly more bathrooms. They overcompensated for the women's bathrooms and built way too many. No women's room ever had a line. The bathrooms are much smaller now, and there are no troughs. They are cleaner now, but there was no attendant I ever saw however, so who knows how long that will last.

The concession stands have all been massively upgraded. You can see some of the food being made fresh. There are a lot more options including tacos, chicken fingers, and onion rings. I didn't try anything and to be honest, I've heard mixed reviews on the food.

There is a LOT more beer offered. There was a whole stand dedicated to Leinenkugel on the upper level that I had. There is a stand called "Irish Pub" on the lower level with Irish beers including Guinness. I have to wonder if these places will be open when there are only 15,000 fans though.

The concourses are VERY wide now. There are HD TVs in a lot of locations so you don't miss the action. The Diamond Club on the lower level looks cool - kinda like a nice cafeteria where you can still see the game. The new team store looks very cool and is much bigger now.

The best part of the whole stadium is the outfield. It is easily the best part of the new K. The outfield seats look cool and I sat in them for an inning and the view is great. I didn't get in the Rivals Sports bar and party deck in right, but it seemed pretty cool and there are some benches outside where you can still relax and watch the game. Its very cool you can walk completely around the stadium now. There is a carousel and arcade in the outfield, which, I have to wonder why you'd come all the way to the K to do that kinda stuff, but whatever, its for the kids. The Hall of Fame looks just okay from the outside, its still not done yet.

Many criticized the concrete not meshing well with the glass and newer parts of the K, but I didn't think it was all that bad. Some of the concrete still doesn't look that good up close though, and it looks like a stadium that has been renovated, not a new stadium.

Overall, I think it has added to the fan experience somewhat, but the fact it is a stadium in the middle nowhere is still the biggest downside to the place. For what they had to deal with in that location, I think they did a fine job. I think it is a much needed improvement, but I wasn't blown away or anything.
I waited until the eighth inning to use the restroom, 30 minute lines everywhere, bathrooms were NOT clean. Poorly designed with only one door mad it seam like they are only planning on having sellout crowds on opening day. When then Royals are back on top and we are seeing capacity crowds on a regular basis the mens restrooms are going to be a serious issue. On the other hand, mos games people aren't going to be filling their bladders 3 hours before the game. I guess we will see what happens at the Cardinals series.

The sound systems was great in the main bowl but they need to pump the radio broadcast out in the outfield plaza, smoking areas and restrooms.

Sitting in the stands the addition of a wall of people in the outfield was very exciting. But, I guess I'm getting old because I miss the lawn and trees out there. Oh well, that's progress.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

The only thing I was dissapointed to see was the removal of the grass area in front of the new Royals Crown/scoreboard/tv.  Those Steel ledge things look awfully out of place, and in my mind the sloping grass would have been a much better fit.

Here's what I'm talking about...Look right below the crown.

Before:

After:

Also, what is the deal with the fountains, do they still do the high shooting jets at all?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Yeah, the fountains seamed to be running a lot less with all those people down there. I hope that's not going to be a regular thing.
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

I'm guessing they kept them off due to the wind and cool weather. 

As for the grass at the base of the scoreboard, they now let people walk between the stading areas in RF and the seats in LF.  They put up the green angled partitions to block the walking people from the hitters view.  I don't see why they needed to connect the two areas with a walkway.  People can go up and around the back of the scoreboard if they need to.  I liked the grass much better also. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

All I know is it's easy to spot the people that don't help fund the renovations.

Still don't understand why people can't come as just Royals fans and forget about KU for a few hours.

http://communityfaces.kcstar.com/?actio ... &preview=0

http://communityfaces.kcstar.com/?actio ... &preview=0
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

from what i've seen on TV, it looks like a waste of a hundred million dollars.  in 5-10 years the K will be obsolete (again) and we'll still have our MLB team playing in raytown.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I saw just as many MU and K-State hats/shirts there too....
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

At least KU is blue...but still..get some Royals gear.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Ignoring Grid's flaimebait . . .

I will echo Max's comments about the bathroom and concession lines - all we have heard all winter long from the organization is how impressed with the increased bathrooms and concession.  On Saturday, I waited longer in line to take a piss than I ever have at Kauffman or Arrowhead - even compared to previous full nights.  Also, what happened to the Boulevard - they appear to have been largely eraised from the stadium - but I can get a damn Peroni.  whoop di doo!

IM2KULL - they had to put those green slats in front of the scoreboard since people can walk through there now - MLB requires that the hitters have a clean backdrop.  It would have definitely looked betters as just a solid wall instead of the staggard look they went with though.  
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: from what i've seen on TV, it looks like a waste of a hundred million dollars.  in 5-10 years the K will be obsolete (again) and we'll still have our MLB team playing in raytown.
Tend to agree a bit.  I think it will be much better in warmer weather though.

But a new stadium would also be out of date in ten years.  Don't kid yourself.

This just bought us some time.  New stadiums were not going to happen in KC.

It still bugs me that we spent all this money and didn't figure out a way to take the complex to the next level (rolling roof), or at least build a hotel or observation tower between the stadiums.

I love Kauffman stadium, but its still very much a renovated stadium.  I'll give it an A- for a renovated stadium and a B compared to all the new parks.
KansasCityCraka wrote: I saw just as many MU and K-State hats/shirts there too....
That's BS.  As usual, there were 50 people with KU crap for every 1-2 with MU/Kstate.  It's retarded looking.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

GRID wrote: I love Kauffman stadium, but its still very much a renovated stadium.  I'll give it an A- for a renovated stadium and a B compared to all the new parks.
and a F- for location.  even a middling new park in washington square park or the north loop would have been outstanding. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What bugs me is that only 31k showed up the day after the opener on a beautiful Saturday evening.  The second game of the season in the new stadium and it was against the Yankees.  That should have sold out.

Economy or not, I’m getting really disappointed in the Royals fan base.  I guess there is just nothing left to it?  There seems to be a core of 20-30k fans in metro KC that go to more than five games a year.  We have got to draw 25-35k on Fridays and Saturdays for a good entertaining team like this.  Anything less is embarrassing.  It’s time for Royals fans to step up and actually go to the games rather than watch them on TV or wait for somebody to hand them free tickets.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: What bugs me is that only 31k showed up the day after the opener on a beautiful Saturday evening.  The second game of the season in the new stadium and it was against the Yankees.  That should have sold out.
I would agree with the general sentiment, but having froze my balls off for nine innings, I would disagree with the "beautiful" part. 

Perhaps they should start blocking anyone in KU apparel at the gate and that will boost attendance &&&
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chrizow wrote: and a F- for location.  even a middling new park in washington square park or the north loop would have been outstanding. 
Right,

...If what you like is a complete "Dead Zone" (lack of density) for 100+ days of the year.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: ...they had to put those green slats in front of the scoreboard since people can walk through there now - MLB requires that the hitters have a clean backdrop...
I can understand that.  Makes you wonder 2 things though..

1. Why did they have to create a "walkway" there, when there is one 25ft behind it that functions just as well.
2. Why they couldn't have created a tunnel for the walkway, thus preserving the greenspace, rather than spending the same amount of money to level the area and create those horrendous concrete/steel slants/view blockers for the hitters.
THINK (ONE) KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I understand that a lot of KU fans are also Royals fans and I want them to come to the games.  I just wish they would come to the games and be 100% Royals fans, rather than coming to the games to also make sure everybody knows they are also KU fans.  My wife and oldest son are huge MU fans, but have never felt the need to wear MU stuff to Royals games.  KU stuff has blue in it.  Much of it also has red as well.  Some KU stuff is all red.  The color thing is just an excuse.  You live in 325k home and drove your 45k suv to the game, you can probably afford to buy a freaking Royals shirt.  Not to mention KU stuff and Royals stuff just doesn’t even look good together.  It totally clashes most of the time.  It just looks dumb and I overheard a few people making comments about it in our section as they thanked Jackson County residents for renovating the stadium.  My wife even said it’s kind of a slap in the face to Jackson County residents that Kansas fans don’t pay for the stadium, yet don’t even have the desire to wear Royals gear to games.

Sorry, enough of that topic.  It’s like that all year long, but I’m done with it for another year or so.  Stepping down.

Attendance has got to go up.  With these renovations + a team that is entertaining and competitive + one of the cheapest tickets in MLB, we better average 22-25k this year.  If not, I’m not sure KC deserves MLB anymore.  A downtown stadium wouldn’t change a thing as far as attendance.  We would be talking about PARKING every god damn day for the next 3 years. 

People need to go out.  I know its early, but I just hope more people go to the games this year.

I totally agree with the batter's eye getting butchered in the renovations.  It looks very half assed and takes from the stadiums original beauty.

They need to put the troughs back into the men’s rooms or something.  Other than that, It think the renovations are pretty good.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Please clarify, I have not been following this at all, but after looking at a picture of the renovation in some journal today, are there no longer any fountains in the park?
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre